Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Cooling fan air direction?is

Old 10-05-2018, 04:40 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling fan air direction?is

is it best to have the fan blowing down on the motor or away from the motor? Some say down on the esc and out from the motor,some say down on both. What are your thoughts on this. I want to get the best cooling efficiency......thanks guys........
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM
bill_delong

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Every fan I have bought blows down onto the motor... you can try reversing the direction, but chances are you may damage the fan depending on how the fan mount sits... most fans have a plastic shroud on the bottom to protect the blades from hitting the mount and the top of the fan is left exposed.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:45 AM
tazzzz

Default Cooling fans

You can reverse the fan with no problems,just have to pry the fans from underneath carefully,,,I have castle 2028 fans . There are videos on how to do it. I was was just wondering what is more effective,,blowing down or up.... some say blowing down on the esc and blowing out on the motor,,you can even put yeah racing fans into the castle unit with ease.....appreciate the comeback......

Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 AM
bill_delong

just get yourself a temp gun and see for yourself... do you want to suck air or blow air... I suspect the method that sucks is self explanatory, ha!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I vote for blowing air on the motor rather than sucking it off...did I just say that ? In an open environment, air should be directed towards object to cool it. I can't picture a small fan having enough vacuum to do much of anything to cool a motor down. The way I look at...All my full size cars/trucks that I have/had, the fans always blow air on the motor/radiator/components while under the hood.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 AM
bill_delong

Here is an example of a shroud that's used to inject the air into the cooling vents of the motor to maximize the cooling potential, by far the best method of an air cooling system I have seen to date:
https://arndtcraft.com/products/tekn...n-shroud-mount

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67ef02a3-a306-40a1-95e3-c1a1e72eaddb_470x.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2262186
Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 PM
phmaximus

*faceplant....

its easy to test.... on a hot day. stand behind a fan, and see how much it cools you down