Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

For UK residents - Recommended car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 03:29 PM
georgecurrums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For UK residents - Recommended car?

Evening, all.

Well, I'm 15, and have been playing with those Nikko electric cars since I can remember, and now after scouring the forums for a while and looking into things, I've been inspired into the world of Nitro RC. 8)

The problem is, I have a maximum budget of £300 for "everything". car, radio stuff etc, everything.

Now, I'm not really too bothered about whether it's a monster truck or a buggy, both have their pros and cons, but i'm sure I can work around what the car wants. So basically, I'm looking for the best monster truck/buggy I can get for £300. Direct URL's to the product from a UK online store would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

George,
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Aterlatus

Default RE: For UK residents - Recommended car?

Well, if it has to be offroad then ignore this post, but if you've got plenty of car parks and what not around then I picked up a CEN TR4 onroad car, all in, for £300 from my LHS (twice now - dad decided he wanted one too )

Other than that, I'm not sure - take a peek on http://www.modelsportuk.com/ for some more ideas. You can search on a maximum price there
Old 09-27-2003, 04:43 PM
georgecurrums

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am indeed looking for an offroad car. That site has a huge selection but none of them seem to come "complete", as in "complete complete, with radio equipment". 8)

I was looking at this earlier, I saw it in another thread.

http://www.three5models.co.uk/rex_x_data.htm

I was thinking of getting the £300 with radio stuff option.

Any opinions on this? Top speed etc?

I was wondering, with all previous RC stuff i've owned, the distance I can be away from the car etc is very very limited? I guess this isn't the case with newer later stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Aterlatus

Well, whenever you're spending >£100 on an RC car, the radio is going to be a million times better than those you'd get on the £20 motors out of Argos

That apart, the more you spend on a radio the better it tends to be. Kinda speaks for itself.

If a radio is designed with aircraft in mind, you tend to be able to take your car a bit further with it.

I'd definately recommend getting a failsafe though - they cost about £10, but they'll throw on your brakes if you go out of range or the battery power gets too low.

The car itself LOOKS OK, but you really ought to try your local hobby shops to see what they've got in - availability of parts is a prime consideration when you're thinking of a new car

And remember - the less you spend in the first instance, the more you seem to spend in the long run. I spent around £700 getting an HPI Savage SS with a few mods, but so far all I've broken is a £6 part (my uncle ran it WOT into a rock). Cost more in the offset, but it's more durable than your average London bus.

If you can convince one of your parents / friends / whoever to take you for a drive, there's a big race at the Mold Football Club all day tomorrow - there'll be a lot of people there that'll know a LOT more than me
Old 09-28-2003, 06:46 AM
georgecurrums

Hi again,

£300 is my budget i'm afraid, should I bother putting this into a better second hand offroader? I should be able to get a decent T-Maxx or HPI off ebay for £300. Or should I keep looking around for a new car for £300?

Anyone else got any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2003, 07:12 AM
Aterlatus

As I say, your primary concern should be parts availability.

Find out who your LHS deals with, so you know you can always get parts within a reasonable amount of time. There's nothing worse that going out for a bash and breaking something within five minutes, only to have to wait another two weeks to get the parts you need to get it going again

You have to remember that nitro cars have a ***LOT*** more power than electric, so you're 513.68% more likely to break something with it being your first
Old 09-28-2003, 07:52 AM
rclooney

go to www.jperkinsdistribution.com and go to gv cars. there is the v2000 preditor. it is a 1/10 scale m/t.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:12 AM
georgecurrums

Thanks for the URL.

That looks good.

Would you recommend it over paying £300-350 for a new T-Maxx off ebay?

I don't suppose there's any places to get a new HPI SS or T-Maxx for under £350 except from ebay?

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Aterlatus

No way at all bud

Unless you want to fork out for the engine seperately. You can get a savage without the engine or radio gear for £275 (I think) on that modelsportuk.com website
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 AM
MisterLister

one thing you should also look into, is there any local clubs for your class of car/truck you are looking at. getting a car/truck and running it around the garden/park/woods soon gets boring and you will lose interest in the sport. that is when good competition from other drivers will keep you interested and keep you driving for years to come.

also a local club will be a great source of information for what type of equipment you should for and how well supported it is in your area
Old 10-01-2003, 01:59 AM
DJ Gadget

I am very surprised, that stuff is so expensive, where you lot are.

I got a kyosho onroad (Porsche GTR 3) 1:10 V one S, with radio and engine for AED 1500 which is about GBP 250

The Radio is Futaba and the engine (0.15) is supplied by Kyosho. The car has a 2 speed gear box and hit speeds of about 55 - 60 mph.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:01 AM
MisterLister

it is so expensive here because the importers/suppliers just remove the USD sign and puts the GBP sign in front of the price.

it is cheaper to buy abroad, have it delivery by the postal services (that if you are willing to wait 1 to 2 weeks for it) and may have to pay the import tax/vat.

I also have the V-one S mk1 with some mods. Mugen MT12 engine, Nova Rossi exhaust, Mugen MTX2 gear box and clutch, thunder tiger ts-4n fuel tank. it is just as fast as the mugen mtx3 and the kyosho fw-05. it's just the driver that keeps on putting the car on its roof. saying that i am just 3 laps down on the club track record.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Aterlatus

You don't normally have to wait too long for it to get here, depending on who delivers it.

USPS has a rate (I think it's priority, or express - not sure which) that costs around $40 for your average package, $80 for my savage truck - both got here within a week (which is a lot faster than any of my LHSs can get parts from WITHIN this country!).

You're right on the import tax though - damned customs got a hold of my SS, charged me £90 :cry:

I did smell the fuel tank before I started building though, just to make sure they had just slapped a sticker on it :P