Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on Nitro 1/8 racer off-road

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for advice on Nitro 1/8 racer off-road

Old 12-17-2018, 04:26 PM
stevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on Nitro 1/8 racer off-road

I would like to pick-up a 1/8 off-road racer to race with my friends on the weekends. I want to be competitive so I want something quick and nimble. I am pretty sure I want a buggy but am not totally against a truggy. I dont feel like building a kit and I would like it to be a RTR or BND. So far I have checked out the Losi 8ight rtr but im not sure how the dynamite motor is and I wasn't crazy about the toe links being non-adjustable but I guess I can always up[grade that. I was also looking at the Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4. I notice most of the RTR come with a pull start but I would like to get myself a starter box. any other suggestions and I would like to know what other think of the two I mentioned. I am not new to RC and not to Nitro either. I currently own 3 nitro helis and a HPI savage. As for cars I have only gotten back inbto them seriously for the last few months.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

RTRs are always gonna cut corners to get the cost down to a more attractive price point. Most likely shocks, mediocre electronics/engine, and stamped aluminum pieces will cut a bunch of costs. I'd be looking at any, and all reviews on both mentioned buggies. To me, the Kyosho is the winner between the two. It just looks "the part".

Edit: Oh, and it could also be a deal breaker on where you are gonna get your parts from. If you got a hobby shop that stocks 8ight parts and not Kyosho...is that enough to persuade you? Kyosho parts are typically more expensive as well.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM
bill_delong

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would buy a used TEKNO NB48.4... they are getting ready to release the .5 soon and a bunch of pros will be unloading their .4's in the very near future. Maybe you can get a deal with someone who already has a nice broken in engine that is well cared for... RTR engines are gonna be a real dicey setup... if you're not willing to build a kit then I don't see how you're gonna be willing to perform proper maintenance on a nitro?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 AM
nomis38

I know Arrma isnt really a race brand but i have won many races and or placed very well with my old arrma typhoon, great electrics, cheap RTR, replaced tires and smashed a lot of competition

when i really raced i built a associated 8th buggy, and honestly my arrma was just as good with some tweaks, and half the price when it was all said and done.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:25 PM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by nomis38 View Post
I know Arrma isnt really a race brand but i have won many races and or placed very well with my old arrma typhoon, great electrics, cheap RTR, replaced tires and smashed a lot of competition

when i really raced i built a associated 8th buggy, and honestly my arrma was just as good with some tweaks, and half the price when it was all said and done.
ARRMA is based on a race grade design from Durango, so yes, it can be a very competitive platform, however Durango has since gone out of business leaving little to no upgrade options that you get from the race grade platform anymore, plus the real kicker is which ARRMA buggy is currently available as a nitro? <shrug>
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM
mattster1971

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a HoBao Hyper VS. It is well equipped. If you get the 80% version you can get whatever engine and electronics you want to use. Home Page | HoBao Enterprising
Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 AM
bill_delong

HoBao makes some really good kits and I think that's a great suggestion, only caution that I would make, is to rebuild the diffs and shocks right away, many ARR and RTR's have a tendency to not get enough grease put on the seals when they are first assembled and they tend to leak. I would also apply thread lock on all metal fasteners, in particular the set screws which hold the center out drives. I have owned several HoBao cars over the years and I never had any problems getting parts for them
Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 AM
mattster1971

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
HoBao makes some really good kits and I think that's a great suggestion, only caution that I would make, is to rebuild the diffs and shocks right away, many ARR and RTR's have a tendency to not get enough grease put on the seals when they are first assembled and they tend to leak. I would also apply thread lock on all metal fasteners, in particular the set screws which hold the center out drives. I have owned several HoBao cars over the years and I never had any problems getting parts for them
Agreed, Parts are readily available direct from HoBao or several well know suppliers online. Unfortunately these cars are not heavily marketed or supported through local hobby shops, but they are quality, well made vehicles that can be outfitted to be competitive with many of the more pricey options out there.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM
nomis38

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
ARRMA is based on a race grade design from Durango, so yes, it can be a very competitive platform, however Durango has since gone out of business leaving little to no upgrade options that you get from the race grade platform anymore, plus the real kicker is which ARRMA buggy is currently available as a nitro? <shrug>

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.