Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I have a Redcat, should I return it and go a new route?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I have a Redcat, should I return it and go a new route?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Doxology87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a Redcat, should I return it and go a new route?

I received a RedCat Blackout SC for Christmas... This is my first hobby-level R/C. When it runs, it's great! After the first five runs, however, the motor quit working. I jumped the ESC to confirm that it was indeed burnt. RedCat has been great in sending a replacement motor and after a struggle, I was able to replace the motor. It ran another week before burning again. In the meantime, I have purchased a better charger and an additional larger battery. RedCat support is now telling me that the gear mesh is too tight. When I installed the new motor I put it back in the same place the original was. Based on videos they sent me, the mesh was too tight.

Here's what I need to know. When I get the new motor on Tuesday, will installing it with the proper mesh mean it will actually last more than a couple of weeks before burning again or should I return it to Amazon and throw in more money to get something like an Arrma Senton 4x4? If I did that, could I keep my HX-705 charger and HX-5000MH-B battery and just adapt it to the Arrma? If I couldn't keep those, what charger and second battery should I get?

A friend bought an ECX Torment 4x4 and its motor has burnt as well within a couple weeks... is just something to expect with hobby R/C?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:49 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't tell you which way to go.

I'm assuming you have the brushed Blackout SC and not the Pro Brushless version. I haven't had luck with brushed motors. My brushed motors, that I was trying out, ran hot no matter what I did to my RC's gearing. I quickly gave up the idea of running brushed motors. I read a bunch of reviews/threads on many RCs, and my general consensus of brushed motors is, they are not made to take abuse. Plus, everyone wants longer run times, and that just adds to a motor's stress level.

Whichever way you go, I'd suggest going with a brushless RC.

That charger you got is only good for NiMh, and NiCd batteries. If you look to part ways with your Redcat, and find something with LiPo batteries, you would need a new charger.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Doxology87

It is the brushed model. Instead of the Arrma, would I be better served getting the Redcat Blackout SC Pro (brushless)?

If I did go the Arrma route, any advice on a reasonable fast charger and Li-Po batteries?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would not spend money on another Blackout SC just to get a brushless motor. If you are happy with the way the Blackout SC performs, besides the motors giving up, then you may want to look into a low budget ESC/brushless motor combo.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 AM
Next sequel

The brushless arma senton looks like a great piece of kit from the reviews I've seen and very tough too,or you could get a sc8 hobby wing combo I only suggest that because they're cheap and I've never had problems with them and you can run 4s lipos.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 AM
DAPR

I had a Blackout SC, after snapping the chassis in 2 I realized there were not a lot of upgrades available for the Blackout. Mine also had oiled brass bushings and not bearings. I've switched to a Redcat Volcano and parts are plenty and cheap! I'd recomend a Volcano or Tornado.