Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Durable, versitle Hop-up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Midd_Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durable, versitle Hop-up?

There are so many "New to Rc" posts I feel bad for starting another! But I would love some help and taking it seriously. Thank you for any advice a head of time.

​​​​​​I've never owned an RC, only had a few hours on an HPI (truggy) I believe, I fell in love. Been looking/reading for a few weeks now.

I currently have my eye on the Traxxas Slash. My budget is $500 total. Batteries, charger etc. I want to bash mostly and I'm strictly on South Texas (hot summers!) Calichè/Dirt/Gravel, extremely dusty here. I'm comfortable with both the mechanical and technical side. I'd prefer to build it myself but Ive still decided to go with an RTR unit for my first. Although what's really important to me is that I can fully repair and upgrade as much as possible.

I want a 1/8th scale but believe the 1/10th is best for mainly my budget but also current experience. This isn't something I'll tinker with for a week and put away, so any advice on special tools, kits, extra parts (what commonly breaks goes out the most?) and tires would be awesome. I'm not sure what type of srarting system would be the best? The closest Hobby shop is over 100 miles away, I'll be ordering parts online so again, any advice on parts that I could by an extra of before it breaks would be great. I may be jumping the gun here, I apologise if I am. Lol.

For now I'll be going with electric Lipo's, I hope to end up with gas motors eventually! I think that covers most of it. Thanks greatly for taking the time to read my novel
. Hope to hear from anyone soon.

-- Just seen the Traxxas toolkit, so that's covered* Also after a little reading I see that parts breaking is kind of personal as to how you drive and handle your RC. A-Arms, drive shafts are pretty common to go out. I have a better idea of what I'll be needing.

- Derrick

Last edited by Midd_Knight; 02-03-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Info update.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Derrick,

Welcome to the hobby!
Traxxas is probably one of the most heavily marketed (and arguably overrated) brands. If there is a local hobby shop (LHS) nearby with promise of getting same day parts support, then that's about the only reason I would consider buying Traxxas where you will pay more money on parts support to have that luxury. If you live too far away from a LHS and will be mail ordering your parts, then I would consider a more reliable brand, I've shared a write up here to help you explore some more options worth considering:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?

If you ever happen to pass through Austin on a Wed night or Saturday, be sure to let me know in advance and you're more than welcome to test drive my TEKNO SCT410 at the local club in our area called Thornhill Racing Circuit. If there are any tracks in your area, I would recommend visiting and asking to test drive various brands to get a better idea of the quality that's out there.
There is a Texas race directory called RC Files - Clubs that might be worth visiting as well.

Best of luck in your search!
Bill
Old 02-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Midd_Knight

Hey Bill!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I've been going over your great guide and extra research as well. I'm glad I heard from you indeed, there are so many great options out there for us. I think I've come close to landing on either the Losi Tenacity Truggy, or what I'm currently leaning too is Team Associated's ProSC 4x4 Brushless.

I feel I'll certainly need a different set of tires. I've uploaded a few pictures of the terrain I'm on. Thinking maybe the Multi-Terrain with Foam Inserts. (#ASC71058). What you think?

Thanks for the advice, it's a little head spinning but I'm actually enjoying it. I'd certainly be willing to stop by some time and watch the tracks and try out your machine. May even come up when I get mine.

*Unable to post the pictures until I've made 10 posts. The ground here is mostly hard, loose gravel, and a bit of grass. I'd like in the future to have a buddy with his bobcat skidster to till-up and disk out a track and mounds for me. All in due time though.

Last edited by Midd_Knight; 02-06-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad to help give you some more options to explore, there is no right/wrong choice between the two you have narrowed down, they're both fairly close in quality/durability/price.... I might take another look at the ARRMA Senton 3S which is priced a little better and tends to be a pinch more durable for this price range.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Carloss9400

Have you heard about DHK. It is a premium product made in China. It is very durable and speedy. Check it out on eBay.