Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

My Surprising Answer to an Often Asked Question

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My Surprising Answer to an Often Asked Question

Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Surprising Answer to an Often Asked Question

Ok here it is, IMHO, my answer to the "What is a good first car kit for my kid?"

Answer, Tamaya Grasshopper. I know, I know, it's so old, has spring only shocks and handles poorly. All true.

To the positive, it can be had for relitivily cheap price. It comes with plastic bushings and a slow motor. Why is that good? Because you can grab a bearing set and a motor for cheap and do before and after comparison which is a great lesson.

My son was 11 when he built his, now 13, we went with the basic build from the box first and for his age it was challenging. We tested it for acceleration and then he pulled it apart and put in bearings, we tested again, it was quicker and he was amazed. Then he pulled the old motor, put the new motor in and it was, dare I say, fast. It's a brushed 540, like a $15 dollar motor.

From a durability perspective, I tell ya what the car has been without issue and he bashes it like crazy. Did have to replace the rear tires, it does brodies and spins tire like crazy!

This Easter he will be getting his 3rd kit, an RC10 and with the foundation he has building his first two more basic cars I am sure he will be up to the task.

Have a great weekend all!

PC
Old 04-19-2019, 06:47 PM
bill_delong

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to think that the re-releases were pretty cool (for nostalgic sake), perhaps a shelf queen or just to experience what it would be like to build a very simple and dated design... but having spent a fair amount of time with far superior quality kits over the past 10 years, I've grown to appreciate a balance of locating a more modern design that is within 1-2 generations old. It's tough because you risk having a hard time finding parts if you select a kit that has been discontinued so it's important to pick a brand that designs their cars to be forward compatible.

I think that's where PR Racing kits have the opportunity to give first time builders a chance to assemble a far more modern design but for budget pricing with the "Sport" editions, and if you want all the upgrades included, then you can save a small fortune buying the "TypeR" edition:
https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-racing/pr-racing-kits

You can still install similar brushed electronics which will keep speeds nice and slow which will make pretty much any brand of car bullet proof at slower speeds:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-540-...7/142429785345
Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I've always been partial to the Tamiya DF-02 platform(I own 2). Sucks they don't have kits anymore from what I see of it as IMO it was an excellent starter RC. Few minor cheap mods I did made it pretty robust, and capable of going over 4-5X faster then what it was designed for reliably The platform is probably one of my favorite out of the electrics I have, and funny enough outside my shelf queen hornet it probably was one of the cheapest RC's I own. Hell my truggies electronics alone cost more then the DF-02 kit+BL setup I slapped in it lol
Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 AM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reason I did the Grasshopper first was I got it for $87 with motor and speed control in the box! Granted, tiny motor but still $87 bucks, this was before the trade tax increase which is not great atm for our hobbie. I didnt even know if he would like to build rc or not, it just so happens that the car is really durable. Oh, and with after market motor and bearings its not slow, punch it from a stand still flip over on its top! Lol

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
Personally I've always been partial to the Tamiya DF-02 platform(I own 2). Sucks they don't have kits anymore from what I see of it as IMO it was an excellent starter RC. Few minor cheap mods I did made it pretty robust, and capable of going over 4-5X faster then what it was designed for reliably The platform is probably one of my favorite out of the electrics I have, and funny enough outside my shelf queen hornet it probably was one of the cheapest RC's I own. Hell my truggies electronics alone cost more then the DF-02 kit+BL setup I slapped in it lol
His second car was an 02 platform, Neo Scorcher, it's been pretty good but did break a shock end connector. Not a big deal but the part had to come from Australia, only place I could find one. Next time this happens we will just get new shocks.

He started building an RC10 last night, totally hooked.

Take care,

PC
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Reason I did the Grasshopper first was I got it for $87 with motor and speed control in the box! Granted, tiny motor but still $87 bucks, this was before the trade tax increase which is not great atm for our hobbie. I didnt even know if he would like to build rc or not, it just so happens that the car is really durable. Oh, and with after market motor and bearings its not slow, punch it from a stand still flip over on its top! Lol

His second car was an 02 platform, Neo Scorcher, it's been pretty good but did break a shock end connector. Not a big deal but the part had to come from Australia, only place I could find one. Next time this happens we will just get new shocks.

He started building an RC10 last night, totally hooked.

Take care,

PC
Well the TT02b, and DF-02 are quite different the tt02b looks a bit cheaper then the DF-02 as from pics it looks like the diffs unfortunately have plastic gears in it from tamiyas pics where the df-02's are all metal, and were able to take quite a bit of abuse(it used a lot of parts from the TT01). Won't lie I wouldn't put anything past the stock motor in the scorcher I doubt the gears would survive.
I had a RC with similar gears from HPI (Brama 10b) I Tried a BL setup in for fun the diff gears actually melted, and turned to a goo in the diff box. 1st RC I actually threw in the trash. Not due to the gears as they were adequate for a brushed motor, but due to the chassis which was made of the most brittle plastic I've ever seen in a RC, and actually broke driving on the sidewalk not hitting anything on stock power(this was before I put the BL setup in it to finish it off )

Tamiya shocks are kinda crappy from my experiences (I've owned a few models) hell my Plasma Edges shocks bent from just driving it on a sidewalk by hitting the indentations in the concrete during its first run on the stock motor.
As for ordering from Australia I once had to order a $3 part(actually it was the shock seals for a tamiya RC) from a hobby shop in Japan as no other online store on the planet had the damn part... Tamiya parts can be insanely hard to find.

Also good to hear he likes the RC