Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can you overvolt a low RPM DC motor + cheap ESC choice?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can you overvolt a low RPM DC motor + cheap ESC choice?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 AM
Laggger164

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you overvolt a low RPM DC motor + cheap ESC choice?

Hi guys, my brushless ESC gave out a while ago (it was one of those nice Hobbywing XeRun Sensored ones) beyond repair.
I wanna get a new ESC for the motor, but they can get pretty expensive and I don't trust the cheap ones on china.

So I was thinking I could switch to DC instead in the meantime. I found this:
https://bit.ly/2IM7Uez

Looks good enough for running around, however I only have 3S Li-Po batteries.
I saw a video of a guy trying to run a motor like this with a 3S and it didn't end well, although he did run it unloaded at extreme RPMs.

The sites claim the motor can handle 7.2V, but max is at 12V.
I was thinking maybe if I got the 80T motor and used that, maybe it could last a little longer provided I don't go full throttle all the time?

Also I am thinking about getting this ESC for the sensored motor, looks a liiiittle more legit than the other ones, maybe they actually care a little on quality control, but who knows:
https://bit.ly/2DpmJAf

What's your take on this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Laggger164

Also, why the hell am I a premium member? What does that even mean?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:56 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

i think unless you're running a trail truck or crawler avoid the brushed motor in the link. it's a 45 turn. when it comes to brushed motors, the lower the number the faster they are. type of car pending, you would want something in the 12 to 17 turn range for 1/10 scale off road.
if you want to gamble with $20. the brushless ESC is a better bet so long as long as it will work with your motor (im not seeing a KV limit listed so idk).
personally id just save my money until i could afford a decent ESC. i think you can get a new sensored hobbywing for around $60. take some time, shop around. there are reputable options out there for $50 - $60 bucks.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Laggger164

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
i think unless you're running a trail truck or crawler avoid the brushed motor in the link. it's a 45 turn. when it comes to brushed motors, the lower the number the faster they are. type of car pending, you would want something in the 12 to 17 turn range for 1/10 scale off road.
if you want to gamble with $20. the brushless ESC is a better bet so long as long as it will work with your motor (im not seeing a KV limit listed so idk).
personally id just save my money until i could afford a decent ESC. i think you can get a new sensored hobbywing for around $60. take some time, shop around. there are reputable options out there for $50 - $60 bucks.
Thing is, my car is a Monster truck, and while it is fun to go fast on the road, it is also interesting to go to a field or a forest and run around in there.
That's why I got the sensored version in the first place, just didn't expect it to give up the ghost so fast (I think the motor is still intact though)

I might try and find another ESC, hopefully nicely compatible with that motor.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:22 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Laggger164

Also I am thinking about getting this ESC for the sensored motor, looks a liiiittle more legit than the other ones, maybe they actually care a little on quality control, but who knows:
https://bit.ly/2DpmJAf

What's your take on this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
More than likely, your linked OCDAY ESC is the same as the "blue 120A" ESCs floating around the interwebs for the past few years, but changed the amp spec to a more "realistic" value along with putting everything into a black case. If you search TSKY 120A ESC, you will find mixed reviews. As far as quality control goes, the "ABC" wires are labeled backwards, and have been from day one. Blue motor wire should be labeled "A", and the Orange motor wire should be labeled "C" if you are hooking up a sensored motor.

I would go with Hobbywing's Quicrun 10BL120 ESC for when a person wants a non boosting/turbo sensored ESC with a warranty.... https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...=2139725987868
Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Laggger164
Thing is, my car is a Monster truck, and while it is fun to go fast on the road, it is also interesting to go to a field or a forest and run around in there.
That's why I got the sensored version in the first place, just didn't expect it to give up the ghost so fast (I think the motor is still intact though)

I might try and find another ESC, hopefully nicely compatible with that motor.
When your ESC went kapooey, you were using a 3S LiPo high speed setup while trying to do some slower speed "trailing" with your monster truck? I think that puts a lot of strain on the ESC...restricting all that power for long periods of time. That's just my hunch as to why your speed control gave up sooner than expected.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Laggger164

Originally Posted by RustyUs
When your ESC went kapooey, you were using a 3S LiPo high speed setup while trying to do some slower speed "trailing" with your monster truck? I think that puts a lot of strain on the ESC...restricting all that power for long periods of time. That's just my hunch as to why your speed control gave up sooner than expected.
Well, I didn't quite get to the trailing aspect, I was just running around at full speed on the road (which seems like it's better suited for that). I had some moments where I was going slow, but nowhere near trailing level slow.

Also about the QuicRun, I was considering getting that, however I did see reviews of some people getting them DoA or they gave up the ghost shortly after.
I am sure they will last longer than that chinese one, but this one is 3 times more expensive... so I dunno...

EDIT: Any other reasons why the ESC blew up on me? Anything you can think of?
I do remember it stuttering and acting generally weird sometimes, since the day I got it. Maybe I got a bad unit?

I found one of these things that I could have for around 40€: https://www.tatramodel.sk/zakladna-p...per-regulator/
or a higher amperage one for 10€ more: https://www.tatramodel.sk/zakladna-p...pro-regulator/
But if I had to choose the higher amp one, I might as well get the XeRun XR10 ESC again (seems like only a newer version is available, maybe fixed?) for around 60€

My motor came from a XeRun XR10 Justock combo 21.5T

I am really torn on what I should get, I already have the programming card for hobbywing so that's more or less why I would still want to use Hobbywing. Plus they claim they have a temperature sensor inside the motor and only Hobbywing ESCs can utilize it.

Last edited by Laggger164; 04-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.