Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why’d this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 PM
stevens4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why’d this happen?

I’ve been in RC for over 30 years and I’ve never smoked anything or burned up anything except a manual speed controller on a Tamiya Grasshopper (about 30 years ago). ...

Im switching to Spektrum Smart batteries (a serious pia) and ordered 2 Trx to Ec5 adapters so I could use them in my Xmaxx. They’re long so I wrapped them and loosely put a zip tie around them. I had major smoke last night, fearing a Li-Po was about to go. I ran from the park to my house, grabbed an extinguisher and ran back. But by then there was no more smoke.

I missed the part of “charge lead” only. But I’ve never payed attention to these things cause I’ve never had a problem in cars, planes, or anything. Thinking back, cause it’s the 1st gen Xmaxx, I remember Traxxas sent me some adapter cause Xmaxxes we’re catching on fire. So...I realize the wires must be too small and I’m pretty sure my zip tie didn’t pierce through.

I haven’t tried the batteries or esc but they look ok. Think it was just those charge leads.

Can you tell me what happened and how to prevent it?

Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a NiMH battery pack burn up a cable recently because I connected a servo controller backwards. It looked like it shorted out one cell. It was a 4 cell pack so I changed the cell that seemed to be bad Everything seemed ok and the battery seem to charge ok but I noticed it wouldn't hold a charge. I decided to scrap the other three cells figuring it wasn't worth losing a plane over. If I were you I wouldn't trust that battery.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:04 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ditch the adapters and 14 awg wires. Too much resistance, and too long of wires.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:15 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Holy mother of all rats nets!!!

Way too much wiring and I agree 14AWG is way too small for 4S, I would solder up some fresh 10AWG wiring.