Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RTR question

Old 01-05-2020, 07:09 PM
oldblue

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RTR question

Been out of RC cars for about 20 years, seems a lot of guys in my category, anyway- I have seen RTR trucks and I am wondering if these cars are "toys" as opposed to "kit" cars. I'm not sure if (due to medical stuff) I have another build in me BUT I don't want to spend 300 dollars on a toy that can't be repaired or do a body change on- I do like the fact the RTR's come with radios / electronics etc- all opinions and ideas are welcome- Thanks in advance- Vic in SoCal.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

RTR trucks are basically “cheapened” Kits. Race kits cost more, don’t come with engine/motor or electronics, but are of much better quality. RTR setups are nice to get started. They can be every bit as repaired as a kit can, in fact the RTR market has better aftermarket support than kit market does only because the kits are for the most part top of the heap in terms of quality and durability. I will tell you that if you’re in the market for a truck and don’t want to build it but get reasonably good quality and durability, get a RTR race truggy or similar versus a Traxxas RTR or the like.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:39 PM
bill_delong

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
RTR trucks are basically “cheapened” Kits. Race kits cost more, don’t come with engine/motor or electronics, but are of much better quality. RTR setups are nice to get started. They can be every bit as repaired as a kit can, in fact the RTR market has better aftermarket support than kit market does only because the kits are for the most part top of the heap in terms of quality and durability. I will tell you that if you’re in the market for a truck and don’t want to build it but get reasonably good quality and durability, get a RTR race truggy or similar versus a Traxxas RTR or the like.
+1

Any of the following RTR brands I would put toward the top of the list:
ARRMA, Serpent, Losi and Associated

Not clear which class of vehicle you are interested in, but most of what's discussed here is fairly universal for respective brands:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is the best?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM
mattster1971

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of good RTR vehicles out there. That being said, you can customize a kit car with the electronics, motor/engine and radio you want. You will pay more getting a kit together and the electronics you want in it in most cases. RTR tend to have many parts that end up needing an upgrade. Its kind of like a jump off point. Just replace things as they break. Look at the major online retailers for the best names with well stocked parts. If you plan on using the LHS most likely Traxxas is going to be where you start. They have some decent cars/trucks to begin with.