Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New member, couple of cars to get started on

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New member, couple of cars to get started on

Old 03-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Lectric74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member, couple of cars to get started on

Hello everyone, working to get my 10 posts in so I can post some pictures, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations on keeping the muffler attached to an HPI Nitro RS4? Right now that appears to be the only thing stopping me from running it, and previous owner said he couldn't find a way. I'd post pictures but the site won't let me yet.

Other cars are an electric truck and a gas buggy, but I need to identify them so I can get parts as well as re-assemble the truck that is basically a rolling chassis currently. As soon as I can get a few more posts I'll post pictures here and hopefully some of the members here can help me identify them to find instructions for them.

These will be my first really high speed nitro vehicles, all given to me, so any tips for getting the engines running on a test stand would be appreciated. Building the stand is easy, but I'm not sure if I need anything on the output of the engines like with the nitro planes I'd never run the engine without a prop and nosecone, but obviously you can pull start these engines in the cars with the recoil starter. So if they are out of the vehicle do I need to worry about anything on the output other than keeping fingers and body parts out of the way?

Are there any things you would check beyond the engines when bringing these little vehicles out of storage? Should I run higher level nitro for getting them running (20%) again?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Lectric74

I've started working on the HPI but the engine seems a bit stiff. Part of the issue is that the glow plug was left out of the engine, and although stored in a box I'm sure it just needs a bit of work. Any recommendations on freeing it up a bit?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Lectric74

Engine is an HPI 12 Nitro Star but I cannot locate the kit on HPI's site to get the manual. Part of the problem is I don't know the catalog number as the sticker has faded over time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Lectric74

Need one more quick post, is there any issue in putting a couple of drops of 5w30 or similar oil into the cylinder on the engine to help free it up?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Lectric74

Now that I have 10 posts, hopefully I can post some pictures. I talked with the Utah distributor for HPI and with a picture of the original box artwork they were able to locate the manual for the first gen HPI Nitro RS4 that I was given. I was also able to identify the chassis I have as a Team Losi XXT, and I've got the manual for that. Since I'm stuck working at home for a couple of weeks I will likely start working on putting the Losi back together. It will still need a new battery stick, but hopefully I can re-assemble and identify any parts broken or missing. Without further ado, here's some pics.

This car I need help identifying so I can find a manual for it

A bit blurry but the only markings I can find on the body. This is a nitro buggy, but no idea on manufacturer and it needs a couple of parts replaced

Close up of the radio that was boxed up with the unidentified buggy

Chassis and radio for Team Losi XXT

Team Losi XXT

Honda Accord body for the HPI, I won't be using this body

Original box for the HPI

HPI Nitro RS4 with Silverado body

Nitro RS4 chassis
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM
Bone yard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol and wd-40 to help loosen up engines...need to let it sit filled with alcohol...after run oil in my opinion is just medical grade castor oil "purity".. also if you know what the models of hpi they are you can download pdf files of almost any hpi car to date. I too am trying to get the 10 posts so I can post pics!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Bone yard

You want to fill the engine with something that will break up the castor oil that turned into molasses so to speak. So no motor oil will not help as I mentioned above.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:03 PM
Bone yard

And can you elaborate on "holding" the muffler together....if it's the header and the tuned pipe I took needle nose pliers and flared the ends of each side where the silicone coupler sits
Old 03-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Lectric74

Originally Posted by Bone yard
I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol and wd-40 to help loosen up engines...need to let it sit filled with alcohol...after run oil in my opinion is just medical grade castor oil "purity".. also if you know what the models of hpi they are you can download pdf files of almost any hpi car to date. I too am trying to get the 10 posts so I can post pics!
If alcohol was available right now I'd grab some, but that sounds like an option. I will give it a try as soon as the stocks return to normal.

As for finding it on their site, this particular car is so old that they don't list it, in fact the distributor told me they never made the RS4 with an Accord body, they found it after I sent the box picture. Parts do still seem to be available so at least I should be able to get replacement parts for anything I need.

Watch out though, as I got to 10 I hit the daily limit of 5 posts.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:25 PM
Lectric74

Originally Posted by Bone yard
And can you elaborate on "holding" the muffler together....if it's the header and the tuned pipe I took needle nose pliers and flared the ends of each side where the silicone coupler sits
So I was told the muffler would keep coming unscrewed. I've made some adjustments and it appears to be holding for now, of course I won't know for sure until I fire it up for the first time. There is no silicone coupler, neither in the manual or anywhere here, it is the actual header being held to the engine.