Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Brand new to RC jumped off the deep end, starter tips.

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brand new to RC jumped off the deep end, starter tips.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Carp969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to RC jumped off the deep end, starter tips.

Ive made a lot of impulse purchases during quarantine, one being an RC car. New to it all, jumped into slightly deep water for my lack of experience. Done a lot of research but still want advice and tips in case my info is too spotty. Got an Arrma 4s with x2 spektrum batteries + charger, no mods/upgrades yet. Understand the battery maintenance in a general sense, will research more. Just wondering if there are any common practices/precautions for new gear, like "breaking hardware in" kinda stuff, or things to look out for with new stuff (like faulty batteries). Should I keep my car running of flat road the first time to let things set? or is that not a thing with brushless, etc. Anyways just general introductory advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-06-2020, 05:42 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Spend a few minutes just making sure all the screws are tight as well as the wheels .
Have a look at the gear mesh . It will give you an idea of what it should be like if you change gears or pull it apart for some reason .
As for driving , I would reccomend an open space like a baseball field . Nothing to crash into .
Do a systems check .
Slowly forward , brake , then reverse .
Circle to the right then left .
Range check the transmitter by slowly driving it away from you . If you go about 100 yards and are still in control you are pretty much good to go !
A temp gun is a good investment to keep an eye on your motor , esc and batterys .
Drive say 5 mins , then check temps .
When you are happy everything is working properly , drive it like you stole it !
Old 06-06-2020, 05:44 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I forgot , at some stage , read the manual ! 😁
Old 06-06-2020, 07:03 PM
oldblue

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on reading the manual. That car is extremely fast car (kid down the street has one) well for an old guy it's too fast look at some videos and try not to break it too quickly this can be an expensive hobby but have fun with it-
Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 PM
Carp969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx! yeah car manual, battery manual, take it slow, check heat.. roger roger. will look into more durable parts as I begin to break them

Last edited by Carp969; 06-06-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:13 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll want to start building your collection of tools:I would also invest in a temp gun:Plan to rebuild the car every 20-25 battery packs, you want to remove every bearing, remove the seals, soak the bearings in oil, blow clean with an air compressor, then re-pack with fresh grease, and re-grease all the rubber seals in the diffs and shocks, I like to use Green Grease brand myself.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:56 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats! Great choice on the Arrma!

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-07-2020 at 09:20 AM.