Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Screwdrivers, hex drivers and nut drivers

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Screwdrivers, hex drivers and nut drivers

Old 06-20-2020, 04:28 AM
maxwolfie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screwdrivers, hex drivers and nut drivers

So Ive got a set of Bondhus L hex wrenches. I love them for general use but for RC I think Id prefer the screwdriver style.

To be honest I think Id prefer to buy from a quality general tool brand rather than buying from an RC tool brand, unless theres a specific reason not to.

I have some questions:

Powered vs. non-powered screwdrivers? Im thinking powered might not be worth both the cost and risk.

Seperate tools for each size or a single screwdriver body with multiple tip options? Im on the fence with this one.

Shaft length? I assume longer is better?

Ball end vs. straight cut hex ends? Ball ends give you the flexibility of reaching more difficult areas while straight cut will give you superior engagement, minimising any slipping. Also on the fence with this one.

Magnetic tips?

Whats a good selection of tips/screwdrivers for hex, nut drivers and whatever else is common? I would imagine a few sizes in hex and a 4mm nut driver at minimum (for my wheels)? Im thinking 2mm, 3mm and 4mm hexes with a 4mm nut driver.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:56 PM
RustyUs

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I got the
MIP 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm speed tips MIP 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm speed tips
(for use in a powered driver) for the sole purpose of saving my arms during assembly/disassembly of my RCs, but also got a
Malco Connext1 Quick Change Standard Nut Driver Handle Malco Connext1 Quick Change Standard Nut Driver Handle
to use the speed bits when I need to finish "torquing down" screws by hand. I love that size of Connext1 handle. It is so comfortable to get proper grip...it's probably the same size of MIP handles. No more small handled tools for this dude.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-20-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:44 AM
maxwolfie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
I got the MIP 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm speed tips (for use in a powered driver) for the sole purpose of saving my arms during assembly/disassembly of my RCs, but also got a Malco Connext1 Quick Change Standard Nut Driver Handle to use the speed bits when I need to finish "torquing down" screws by hand. I love that size of Connext1 handle. It is so comfortable to get proper grip...it's probably the same size of MIP handles. No more small handled tools for this dude.
Thank you.