Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nubie seeking advice

Old 06-21-2020, 05:17 PM
artpulis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nubie seeking advice

While I've flown RC planes and raced RC sailboats, this is my first venture into a car. I'm 77, and just purchased a Traxxas Rustler brushed 4X4 for my 10 year-old grandson. (I admit I could get one for myself, but not yet sure) I got it with the ID battery and charger, but no extra batteries at this point. As I read, it looks like battery time isn't much, so I'm thinking a longer lasting NIMH since I'm not sure such a young man would do the proper care of a LiPO. Should I get a faster charger, and how many batteries are you guys running? Thanks for your help. I have a lot of questions at this point.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:32 PM
satlite440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would recomend t thunder tiger tp610c ac/dc....good all in one charger does lipo/lion/nicad/nemi and lead batts..decent charge rate inclues a power supply cord.many chargers dont..yuo can run it with 110 at home and off a 12 car batt outside the house..i use a mix..i have nicad 7.4v car sticks for my 2 fishing boats..my 2 subs run lipo's .. my friend at work does cars/trucks and hydro boats.. he keeps like 4 sets of batts per car but he races at his club..look at the mha..would be like 7.4v 1200mha....for longer run times you need more mha..so you would look to see if you could get a 7.4v 5000 mha batt to run 3 times longer than the 1200mha
Old 06-23-2020, 06:09 AM
bill_delong

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

NiMh can't be charged any faster than 1C or you will get false peaks and not get a full charge. I would buy several IMAX B6AC chargers so that you can have several packs ready to go.

In contrast, with a high quality lipo and charger, you can safely charge lipo's faster than they are discharged
Which charger is the best?
Old 07-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to surface vehicles, artpulis!

I also used to fly. I mostly got out of it, as I found it was usually too windy; not a problem with surface vehicles. I just kept my ParkZone Radian (2m electric sailplane) and Traxxas Aton. (sport quadcopter) I haven't flown them in at least a year though.

I like to have 3 battery packs ready to go. You'll maybe get 15-20 minutes out of a pack, so that would make for a good hour of driving. Go out, run the car and run through them, then take them home to charge. Get a couple extras for your grandson too. You can charge them one after another when you get home.

I've got a nice little Multiplex charger and an old Omron power supply I'd send you for the cost of shipping. It's perfect for NiMH battery packs. (send me a Private Message, if interested) Use the saved money for more battery packs. ;-)