Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Getting Back Into RC: Need Chassis and Scale

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting Back Into RC: Need Chassis and Scale

Old 06-25-2020, 05:19 AM
kcoffrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Back Into RC: Need Chassis and Scale

Hello All.

I am getting back into RC cars after about 20 years. I have two vehicles, both of which need parts. However, I have long since forgotten what chassis type (make,etc) and scale these are. I do know that both were built from parts assembled from Tower Hobbies way back when.

I need the following:

Chassis Type: For Parts
Scale: For new Bodies for each

NOTE: I attempted to add images here, but I keep getting an error saying that I cannot post URL's until I have 10 posts. Odd thought that these are images, not URLs....

Without the ability to upload images, please let me know what details I can provide in order for you guys to assist with answers...or let me know if there is a magical way for me to upload images to show you guys, without them being recognized as a URL.

Last edited by kcoffrin; 06-25-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:30 PM
mugeyman

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hi kcoffrin , well imo look into a new cars , buggies , trucks , mt trucks electric or nitro 1/10 scale or 1/8 scale , you can look into the web sites of tower hobbies , A Main hobbies , Nitrohouse .com , these are great reputable stores ok mugey
The following users liked this post:
kcoffrin (07-08-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 AM
bill_delong

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

More than likely your cars are discontinued, there are "re-releases" out there from Tamiya and Kyosho, so it's possible you may still get some parts, but if they are in fact discontinued, then you would do best to build a new kit.
The following 2 users liked this post by bill_delong:
Jeremy Z (07-01-2020), kcoffrin (07-08-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 AM
kcoffrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. So after some digging I was able to identify what I have:

Tamiya 1/10 scale Blackfoot
Tamiya 1/10 scale Boomerang

Now that I have this info, I will look on ebay, etc for parts that I need...or junk models of these types that people are selling for just parts.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kcoffrin View Post
Thanks guys. So after some digging I was able to identify what I have:

Tamiya 1/10 scale Blackfoot
Tamiya 1/10 scale Boomerang

Now that I have this info, I will look on ebay, etc for parts that I need...or junk models of these types that people are selling for just parts.
You are in luck. The Blackfoot has been re-released in 2016 and is still sold, so parts will be available to order. It also shares some parts with the currently produced Frog and Brat.

The Boomerang was also re-released a few years ago, but it is out of current production. However, you should be able to get parts, as it shares some parts with the current Hotshot and Bigwig.

If you've been out of it for 20 years, you'll want to upgrade the mechanical speed control setup with an electronic speed control. It is the single best improvement in RCs since the old days. People don't go back to it. A simple ESC will do fine, something like a Traxxas XL-5 should be easy to find for cheap on ebay and will easily run your old 540 motors in those models.

If you don't have an emotional attachment to them, you may just want to fix, then sell them on ebay and use the proceeds to buy something modern. The old Tamiya plastics are not known to be tough. I built a Hotshot a few years ago and immediately broke it on a mild fontal impact that my Stampede would have shrugged off.

The original Blackfoot body is prized now, as it was marked FORD. Tamiya didn't want to pay licensing fees on the re-release, so the later release doesn't have that. The Boomerang is out of production, so prices will be good on it as well.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!
The following users liked this post:
kcoffrin (07-08-2020)