Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Motor/ESC combo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Wegmann38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/ESC combo question

So I have a question regarding how to know if a Motor and ESC will work with one another.

Basically I have a TP Power 4070cm 2200kv motor laying around that I would like to put in my Arrma Talion V3. I have the stock system in the truck which is the BLX 185 6s. My question is will this Motor work with this ESC?
If not what would you recommend as an ESC?
And any information on how I can tell if a motor and ESC will work with one another would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:39 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You should have no trouble getting it to work. I'd say running 6S is all that I would attempt to run through your system with that motor. Not sure on the power drain from that motor as it all varies on driving style, weight, gearing, and whatnots, but probably on the edge of your ESC 150A rating.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:48 AM
RustyUs

I looked at them TP Power motors for my EXB, but I'm just not ready to drop that kind of coinage yet on the unknown outcome of the Kraton. I'm gonna ease into the power I deliver to the truggy at first.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Wegmann38

Originally Posted by RustyUs
You should have no trouble getting it to work. I'd say running 6S is all that I would attempt to run through your system with that motor. Not sure on the power drain from that motor as it all varies on driving style, weight, gearing, and whatnots, but probably on the edge of your ESC 150A rating.
Thats exactly my fear. Is the unknown. Some say it’ll work. Some say it won’t. I definitely don’t want it to blow up.
Any recommendations on what ESC would work with this motor? I’m looking at the Max 6 or the mamba monster x
Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 AM
RustyUs

Maybe contact TP Power directly for suggestion on what path to take. I'd feel safer with the Mamba Monster X onboard. If it were my ride, I'd chance it with the BLX 185 speed control. I don't see a continuous 190-ish amp pull from that motor.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Wegmann38

Maybe contact TP Power directly for suggestion on what path to take. I'd feel safer with the Mamba Monster X onboard. If it were my ride, I'd chance it with the BLX 185 speed control. I don't see a continuous 190-ish amp pull from that motor.
I might chance it. I plan to upgrade the ESC at some point anyways. So if she’s blows than I’ll just have to get it sooner.

I did a little math. I don’t know how accurate it is or if I even did it right. Haha But on 6S I’m thinking max amps should be around 196Amps. Multiply that by 0.637 should give me the average current. Which is about 125Amps so that’s under the 150A the ESC is meant for. But it’s the possibility of the current spike that might fry the ESC I think.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:18 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Wegmann38
I might chance it. I plan to upgrade the ESC at some point anyways. So if she’s blows than I’ll just have to get it sooner.

I did a little math. I don’t know how accurate it is or if I even did it right. Haha But on 6S I’m thinking max amps should be around 196Amps. Multiply that by 0.637 should give me the average current. Which is about 125Amps so that’s under the 150A the ESC is meant for. But it’s the possibility of the current spike that might fry the ESC I think.
Yes, I think that amp value is about what I estimated (198 amps max) using the motors ratings on TP's website. What does that 0.0637 number represent?
Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 PM
Wegmann38

Yes, I think that amp value is about what I estimated (198 amps max) using the motors ratings on TP's website. What does that 0.0637 number represent?
.0637 is how you get the “average” current by multiplying it by the max current. Basically I was just trying to see where my current would be on average.

But update. Non of this matters now. I just took her out for a spin and in about 5 minutes it was a nice big fire!

It ran great until that. Haha So now it’s time to shop for a new ESC that’ll work.

im thinking maybe the mamba monster x.