Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

First car for my 5yo boy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Def22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First car for my 5yo boy?

Hi, I know absolutely nothing about RC cars, so I thought this was a great place to ask.
We live in a city near the park. We will use it mostly on the pavement or in the park or on the gravel path or grass, around the water stream.
  • I think that speed is not the priority. Handling is.
  • I would like to have the possibility to quickly change the batteries and future upgrades.
  • I like the 1:10 size, but it's not a priority - but I'm not looking for anything big )
  • I think that the Monster truck will be the best type.
  • The budget is around 100$-200$ in total.
In our country (Czech Republic) there is available Traxxas. I looked at Traxxas Stampede, but I'm not sure if it's not still too fast or appropriate for his age and zero experiences.

What can you guys recommend? Thank you.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:13 AM
rc hobbies outlet

Just getting back into RC with my daughter. I'm getting excited. Hope you have many good memories with your son bashing. What's the little rc?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:00 PM
Badabing76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Def22
Hi, I know absolutely nothing about RC cars, so I thought this was a great place to ask.
We live in a city near the park. We will use it mostly on the pavement or in the park or on the gravel path or grass, around the water stream.
  • I think that speed is not the priority. Handling is.
  • I would like to have the possibility to quickly change the batteries and future upgrades.
  • I like the 1:10 size, but it's not a priority - but I'm not looking for anything big )
  • I think that the Monster truck will be the best type.
  • The budget is around 100$-200$ in total.
In our country (Czech Republic) there is available Traxxas. I looked at Traxxas Stampede, but I'm not sure if it's not still too fast or appropriate for his age and zero experiences.

What can you guys recommend? Thank you.
I am new here as well, but I've been around R/C's most my life, driving them anyway. Not very mechanical, but I will say I got my kids two Stampedes. They are two years old now, the trucks and just started having issues with the one, but the other is solid. My son is harder on stuff, so that's the one not running currently, lol!

I don't think you can go wrong with a stampede, they get up over 30 mph and can go on tall grass and bash them up pretty good. They are waterproof as well. They also go for about 200 here in the states. I recommend a good charger and multiple batteries. I use 8.4 NIMH 3000 mah ones and a 680 ac charger. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:25 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm trying to consider what is available in your country while also considering your proposed budget. Starting with Traxxas, I think a Stampede is a fine truck to start the hobby with. I've gone through a few of them over the years. They're durable and replacement parts are easy to find. Which brings me to my first point: if you had to buy replacement parts then where would you source them from? Is there a local hobby shop in your town or do you have to order everything online? I generally suggest that if you're starting into the RC hobby for the first time then you should see what the hobby shops in your area sell and consider what parts are available. It wouldn't make much sense to buy something that looks great but you learn that replacement parts are difficult to obtain. If a local dealer is available then see what they offer in your price range. Buying from a local store helps their business but they may also be a source of information and support for your RC truck.

As far as what type of vehicle to consider I will say this: 2WD vehicles have simpler designs and fewer parts. This may be better for someone starting new. 4WD vehicles are generally easier to drive as they have more traction but there are more moving parts, the entire vehicle is a little more complex and they use battery power faster. Monster trucks have larger tires so they can drive over taller objects or rougher terrain plus they are better suited for jumping. Short course and stadium truck or buggies usually sit lower and have smaller tires. This means they usually don't flip over as easy and they can be a little quicker because of the lighter tires and lower center of gravity. You can still jump with them but buggies tend to have shorter suspension so they're more likely to bottom out hard when landing.

My only complaint about the Stampede is that it has a nearly square footprint, meaning that the width is close to the length. This short wheelbase makes it spin out easier if you don't have good throttle control. Longer framed vehicles will reduce the tendency to spin out. The last suggestion I'll make are the Arrma lineup of vehicles. They've made a name for themselves with their larger scale vehicles and they do offer the "Voltage" line of 2WD entry level trucks. The Granite Voltage might be worth looking into as here in the U.S. you can purchase a complete package for $99. The weakest points about this package in my opinion are the small charger they provide. But for the price you can look at an upgraded charger and even an extra battery. https://www.arrma-rc.com/voltage/granite/
Old 01-18-2021, 06:39 AM
SteveM
My Feedback: (1)

If Traxxas is your only or best option then consider the 4wd Traxxas Slash brushed version. These handle very well, better than the 2wd version and are only slightly more complex. The brushed speed control can be set to beginner mode which reduces power and you can always change the gearing to drop top speed as well. The down side is your limited budget, which means that buying brand new is likely not possible.