Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with wheels, hubs and steering.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:24 PM
phirun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wheels, hubs and steering.

I've just made a start building an RC "Propeller Car", my first attempt at something other than aircraft. I'd like to purchase a front-end steering assembly, and perhaps a rear-end double-wishbone suspension setup. This could be done either as complete assemblies or as the bits needed for them.

After searching the web there appear to be three main "standards":

1. The "spares" for various manufacturers' popular cars and models.

2. Some sort of "scale standard": 1/4, 1/8, 1/10 etc.

3. Other apparently standardized items that I can't identify.

I made a start by buying four "buggy wheels" just to see what I got: 75 x 31mm with moulded cutouts at the hub suggesting some sort of standardized fixing.

Could someone please point me to what info is available re the standards needed to figure out where to go from here? Most grateful for any assistance.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:47 PM
bill_delong

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

got a link to the wheels you bought?

sounds like a 1/10 buggy front buggy wheel but those aren't going to fit any rear buggy that I know of.

I would start with a used roller from a brand that isn't discontinued as your donor car and go from there.

trying to build completely from scratch without any experience is going to be extremely difficult... I recommend starting out with a kit.

Good Luck
Old 01-21-2022, 08:44 PM
phirun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the interest. Sorry, WARNING: You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts.

The wheels are from Aliexpress and are "1/16 Rally Tire Buggy Off-road Wheels Tires Diameter 75mm Width 26mm for RC Car HSP 94123"

I understand that there are "wheel hex hubs" that could fit my wheels but that still doesn't get to attaching the hub to a steering trunion or chassis.

> trying to build completely from scratch ... starting out with a kit.

Good advice, but it's also a learning/teaching exercize for the local lads (8 - 10 yrs). I've decided to start with a ply base and rear fin carrying the electric motor, and use a simple "swinging bar" front steering axle driven by a servo. It'll get things on the road without too much complexity.

It's the next step that I'm looking at, and your suggestion seems like the best way to go.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:20 PM
bill_delong

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

So typically the 1/16 rally car wheels are more like 1/10 Touring Car standards, which that might be a relatively cheap way to start with a donor kit:

https://www.3racing-parts.com/3racin...8-p-24528.html

Note that the 1/10 TC wheels are the same offset for both front and rear.

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-22-2022 at 06:22 PM.