Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1/10 vs 1/8 cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 07:48 AM
Paredez77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/10 vs 1/8 cost

So I’m sorry if this has already been discussed. I was having a hard time finding anything on it. But then again I’m a fairly new member so idk how to look things up. Anyway I currently own a Losi 22 5.0 which I love. But the 2 tracks closest to me are designed for 1/8 scale exclusively. So I was looking to build my first kit and get into 1/8 scale. I don’t race very much. Just do it for fun. I’m just wondering would I be spending a lot more money for the 1/8 than my current car? Should I just pay more to drive to the indoor tracks and stick to 1/10?

Last edited by Paredez77; 03-21-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:09 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

It's splitting hairs and will be a wash... if they run the track wet, then you'll have very low tire wear but if they run it dry then expect to go through a set of tires every race day.

I prefer 1/10 myself but the 1/10 turf track died off overnight when the club started watering the 1/8 dirt track and tire wear drastically improved. It was definitely worth the switch to 1/8 just on the saving for tire expenses alone!

1/8 is also more durable though they also use more fluids for rebuilds. At the end of the day if you want to play, then you gotta pay to get a 1/8, welcome to the club, ha!
The following users liked this post:
Paredez77 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:52 AM
Paredez77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I’m responding correctly. But if this is right. Just wanted to say thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Now gotta decide if I should get the TLR 8ight XE or wait and see if they have a new release coming
Old 03-22-2022, 05:58 AM
bill_delong

I would visit the track next race day and talk to the faster drivers on the podium to see what they are running and ask if they are willing to share their setup sheet, then buy one of those respective brands. If they happen to be running TLR, then great, but I wouldn't recommend buying TLR unless they have local track support. Not trying to persuade you to go with my personal favorite brand, note I didn't specify which one because it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is what the fastest setup you can find from a local. Getting local parts is key, if there's an on site shop, I would only buy whatever they stock parts for, or buddy up with a local sponsored guy who will have the parts you need on race day.

Godspeed
Old 03-22-2022, 06:04 AM
bill_delong

I would visit the track next race day and talk to the faster drivers on the podium to see what they are running and ask if they are willing to share their setup sheet, then buy one of those respective brands. If they happen to be running TLR, then great, but I wouldn't recommend buying TLR unless they have local track support. Not trying to persuade you to go with my personal favorite brand, note I didn't specify which one because it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is what the fastest setup you can find from a local. Getting local parts is key, if there's an on site shop, I would only buy whatever they stock parts for, or buddy up with a local sponsored guy who will have the parts you need on race day.

Godspeed