Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Custom RC diff gears

Old 04-29-2022, 03:30 PM
tangodownNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom RC diff gears

Hi there,
I have a HSP 1/8th monster truck. The diff gears (HSP part 81042), are made of cheap cast metal and strip.
I am wondering if anybody knows where I can get custom gears made out of solid steel. But they need to be the same dimensions as my gears so they fit in my diff housing.
Thank you,
Glenn

Last edited by tangodownNZ; 04-29-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:26 PM
bill_delong

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

By the time you spend the time and money on a CNC to mill your custom gears, you'd be far better off buying a quality name brand like a TEKNO MT410 which is the king of all 1/8 MT's on the market today.
The following users liked this post:
1QwkSport2.5r (05-24-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 06:03 PM
tangodownNZ

Thank you for that Bill.
But I am already to far in. You see I am building the worlds first burn out monster truck with working front (only) brakes, so I can light it up on the spot.
I am happy with the chassis and drive line ect, its just the gears need to be stronger. I was hoping to get somebody to machine the gears for me.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:07 PM
tangodownNZ

Surly there must be somebody who knows somebody who can cut gears this small?
Old 05-16-2022, 04:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Most of the time, Diffs fail because they aren’t shimmed properly. If it’s a bevel gear Diff like many monster trucks have, then getting some shims and shimming the diff for proper clearance will make them last forever. However, lower quality models have lower quality parts. If better quality parts cannot be fitted, you’re kinda up crap creek. Your models intended purpose is very likely beyond what the model is durable enough to withstand. I see a stronger truck/platform in your future if you are to succeed in your mission. Sorry, but I think this is a pretty reasonable assertion.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:54 AM
RustyUs

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Robert Bastian? A one-off set of gears would probably be a costly one-off price.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-22-2022 at 03:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1QwkSport2.5r (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 03:09 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
By the time you spend the time and money on a CNC to mill your custom gears, you'd be far better off buying a quality name brand like a TEKNO MT410 which is the king of all 1/8 MT's on the market today.
Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Robert Bastian? A one-off set of gears would probably be a costly one-off price.
yes. Which is why post #2 is so poignant. Buying something cheap (not tough) for extreme duty isn’t going to end as well as buying something stronger (more expensive) in the first place. While the RC Market has narrowed a bunch, I wouldn’t limit myself to currently available models only. I would put the Losi LST2 or XXL and Tekno MT in a similar category in terms of stupid durability and toughness. The Losi is a RTR, true, but it’s one of the toughest RTRs I’ve used. The diffs are damn near bulletproof when shimmed properly. There’s one for sale for $200 on another RC forum. An old friend of mine used to call Losi MTs “Stupidly Overbuilt”. I agree with him - that phrase alone is what got me to buy one and since then I’ve had 4. I would like to try a Tekno 410 though; do they come as Nitro kit or electric only?

anyway - if you buy something cheap because you don’t want to spend much, okay.. I get that. but don’t expect Benz quality and strength when you actually buy a smart car.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-24-2022 at 03:14 AM.