Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TC3 issues

Old 11-02-2022, 09:02 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default TC3 issues

Working on an Associated TC3 this evening. Was going to install an esc, motor, rx.
Actually had the motor installed. Realized the way I had it the sensor port was covered. Pulled it back out. Looked at it closer and noticed that the motor lead connectors looked loose. I take the end off to see if I can see any problems. Realize it's dirty as heck so I pull the rotor out and spray it down with electrical cleaner. Put it back together; never figured out why it felt loose. Figure what the heck, lets see if it works anyhow. Start to reassemble and I lose a tiny nut. Either on the floor or table. Spend a good 15 looking for it. Another 15 looking for a replacement. Find one finally. Realize the other nut is pretty chewed up, wish I had the one I lost so I could replace the chewed up one. Look on floor some more, no deal. Decide maybe this car wasn't meant to move today. Clean up a little, find an odd piece of broken plastic. Realize the esc that's attached to the motor in question has a broken case. Great.
Change direction, had an rx crap out the other day, my kid said it got wet. Thought I'd apply some conformal coating to the Rx I was going to put in the TC3. That goes ok.
Clean up some more, look for the nut again. Find a grub screw for a pinion. On the floor. Unreal, hadn't even known I lost a grub screw. Earlier when I was picking out a pinion of course there were 3 or 4 without grub screws, lol. Then I found the nut. Woo hoo.
Go back to the Rx, coat the opposite side. Notice the case is cracked and I think that I'll grab the case from the Rx that crapped out and switch them. So I do that and notice the tiny screws from the original are just a little nicer than the ones from the better case. Go to get them off the original case and drop one. Just shoot me. Of course I can't find it. Not an issue, I have spares due to the crapped out Rx. But seriously, just shoot me.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:03 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

sounds like you need to get yourself a good size and strong bar magnet. makes finding hardware you drop on the floor easy-er
Old 11-04-2022, 04:09 PM
kistner

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan View Post
sounds like you need to get yourself a good size and strong bar magnet. makes finding hardware you drop on the floor easy-er
Somewhere deep in the garage I have one of those magnets on a stick that roofers use - I was tempted to go get it. Probably should have.
Or I could have used the rotor while I had it out.
Who knows what I'd find.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:28 PM
kistner

@suburban_hooligan
Probably just as well that I didn't get it running - the wheels dont match match front to back, lol
Old 11-04-2022, 04:52 PM
kistner

I was mistaken, the wheels on the TC3 do match

Its the wheels on the TC4 that don't match

Old 11-04-2022, 05:44 PM
suburban_hooligan

you're making me want to build my TC4 into a VTA car.... ...which is actually why i bought it. ...just before HPI hit the fan and wheels/tires were hard to find.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:22 PM
kistner

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan View Post
you're making me want to build my TC4 into a VTA car.... ...which is actually why i bought it. ...just before HPI hit the fan and wheels/tires were hard to find.
Do it!
I briefly entertained the idea of VTA racing. I just have too much shtuff going on, I can't commit to racing on Sundays which is game day in the soccer leagues I coach in.
BUT, I really like the VTA look, so that part stuck. Sadly I have way too many 25.5 motors sitting around. Although now that I think about it, maybe that's what I should stick in the TC3. Then my niece could drive it.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:30 PM
suburban_hooligan

i wasn't going to race VTA i just wanted to build one to drive and fart around with. ended up with a Protoform PFM-10 body and an 8.5 motor. handles good but it's to fast to drive anywhere but large empty parking lots. and that's just kinda boring.
i was thinking of slowing it down a bit (i think i have a 13.5 motor laying around) and put a truck body on it and make a sport truck that i could drive in the street in front of my house.. but i can't find the body i want (more HPI problems) so iv also been kicking around the idea of keeping the 8.5 motor but using a VTA body, wheels/tires and having something that's probably lively to drive.
iv also entertained the thought of making it a drift car, but i think id get bored with that
Old 11-04-2022, 08:16 PM
kistner

Getting tangential here but I have been looking for a truck body that fits touring cars. Vaterra had a truck body that fits. I have an old HPI rs4 rally that I think a truck body would look cool on
Old 11-05-2022, 12:54 PM
suburban_hooligan

im looking specifically for the Venom T-10 body
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/17500

or the Silverado is a second option
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/7401
Old 11-05-2022, 02:14 PM
kistner

Those are pretty cool. Might have seen a couple like that while looking for this, or something like this

couldn't tell you where, you know how you get so focused looking for something in particular
Old 11-05-2022, 02:18 PM
kistner

My first choice would be like a Ford Ranger, not the brand new one, or a Tacoma, or even an S-10. It's a body I remember seeing once in a rally tc setup. Should have bought one then.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:18 PM
suburban_hooligan

not sure how well it would fit a modern TC (i think its more for a wide pan car) but Bolink (now RJ Speed) made a GMC Syclone body back in the 90's. was on the hunt for one of those back in the late 90's but never found one.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:45 PM
kistner

@suburban_hooligan thought of you when I saw this VW truck shell
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
The following users liked this post:
suburban_hooligan (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 03:45 PM
kistner

While cleaning up for Thanksgiving I found my wee tiny missing screw.
And a couple tiny washers, and a second tiny screw that I don't know what it goes to.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 PM
suburban_hooligan

Originally Posted by kistner View Post
@suburban_hooligan thought of you when I saw this VW truck shell
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
that's pretty cool. not quite what im looking for. but cool.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:03 AM
mia45943

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kistner View Post
Working on an Associated TC3 this evening. Was going to install an esc, motor, rx.
Actually had the motor installed. Realized the way I had it the sensor port was covered. Pulled it back out. Looked at it closer and noticed that the motor lead connectors looked loose. I take the end off to see if I can see any problems. Realize it's dirty as heck so I pull the rotor out and spray it down with electrical cleaner. Put it back together; never figured out why it felt loose. Figure what the heck, lets see if it works anyhow. Start to reassemble and I lose a tiny nut. Either on the floor or table. Spend a good 15 looking for it. Another 15 looking for a replacement. Find one finally. Realize the other nut is pretty chewed up, wish I had the one I lost so I could replace the chewed up one. Look on floor some more, no deal. Decide maybe this car wasn't meant to move today. Clean up a little, find an odd piece of broken plastic. Realize the esc that's attached to the motor in question has a broken case. Great.
Change direction, had an rx crap out the other day, my kid said it got wet. Thought I'd apply some conformal coating to the Rx I was going to put in the TC3. That goes ok.
Clean up some more, look for the nut again. Find a grub screw for a pinion
blacktiedetailing.
On the floor. Unreal, hadn't even known I lost a grub screw. Earlier when I was picking out a pinion of course there were 3 or 4 without grub screws, lol. Then I found the nut. Woo hoo.
Go back to the Rx, coat the opposite side. Notice the case is cracked and I think that I'll grab the case from the Rx that crapped out and switch them. So I do that and notice the tiny screws from the original are just a little nicer than the ones from the better case. Go to get them off the original case and drop one. Just shoot me. Of course I can't find it. Not an issue, I have spares due to the crapped out Rx. But seriously, just shoot me
I am also facing the same issue.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:11 PM
renardanderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vaterra had a truck body that fits. I have an old HPI rs4 rally that I think a truck body would look cool on
Old 01-15-2023, 09:48 AM
suburban_hooligan

Originally Posted by renardanderson View Post
Vaterra had a truck body that fits. I have an old HPI rs4 rally that I think a truck body would look cool on