Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ofna Buggies

Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Varad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna Buggies

Hey i have a duratrax street force gp so i consider myself pretty well aquainted with rc cars. I am definately gonna get an ofna buggy in the near future. I was originally gonna get the 9.5 pro rtr but that is too expensive for my purposes. I am probaly going to do a lot of backyard style riding and some informal racing. I think i am going to go with either the new MBX pro rtr or the Ultra LX rtr. These two look pretty similar in price and quality. Can anyone help me out? Also, i am gonna litteraly throw away that dirt cheap airtronics radio for the new futanba 2 channel computer radio. The other hop ups im gonna get on either one is a new pipe, a high torque steering servo and thats about it. Does anyone else have any suggestions regarding hop ups?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 PM
dagass

Default RE: Ofna Buggies

The buggies sure are getting a lot of coverage lately. Of the 2 you're looking at, go with the Ultra MBX Pro. It's better equipped and everybody who has one here at RCu really seems to like it. You're definitely on the right track tossing the stock radio equipment. Darn near anything is better than the stuff that comes with it.

As for a steering servo, there are a ton of them out there but a good place to start is the Hitech 645MG. It's a solid metal gear servo and Hitech has a great replacment gaurantee. As for the pipe, If you want low end, the Ofna 063 is the way to go, if you're looking for speed, try out the Ofna 086. The only other thing that you may want to consider is getting a good Ni-mh battery. The Hi torque servos will suck a AA pack dead in no time.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Varad

Thanks Dagass. Yeah i was leaning toward the mbx (The new one with the blue and yellow tires). It seems nicer than the lx. Well about the speed. My Street Force tops out at about 55 mph so will i "miss the speed" if i go with this buggy? Do you know about where these top out? Im guessing about 45-50 mph. Also about the Mi mh battery packs...Should i get one for the reciever and the transmitter or mainly the reciever bc like you said about the power drain. I, for my touring car, was thinking of the trinity 5 cell reciever pack. is this good?

Sorry for all the annoying questions but one more...Of the entire ofna lineup, which is the fastest stock buggy?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
dagass

Don't worry about the questions, that's why were all here. The buggies are pretty quick! they run in the 40-45 mph range which in the dirt is plenty fast. At that speed, it is all about control! They can be made to be faster with a pipe, and a clutchbell change though.

As for the Battery, I use a Team Orion 1200 Ni-mh 5 cell flat pack in my PBS. It really cranks out the juice! I have a Hitech 645MG for my steering servo and an airtronics Z590 for my throttle/brake and the Trinity pack has plenty of power to run them both. I usually get tired before the battery does. Also, getting a rechargeable isn't really a necessity for the transmitter. My JR runs for a couple weeks on the AA's.

As for which buggy in the Ofna lineup is the fastest, thats a tough question. I believe that they are all fairly similar in terms of top speed. The 9.5's and the MBX's with the Force engines have more low end grunt than the Hyper 7's however I believe that the 8 ports that come in the Hypers will out run them in a straight line. Ask 100 people, and you'll get 100 different opinions on which is the fastest.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Varad

Sorry i cant get the links to work (HOW DO YOU DO IT???) but check this out:http://www.ofna.com/umbx_opt.html
A two speed in a buggy? That looks crazy. That would probably crank it to 50+mph. Youre saying that the force .25 is more for low end torque and not all out speed? Thanks again!

PS; This is making me mad! How does everyone get a pic under their name and a "motto" (yours is its a bird its a plane etc.) . This will help if you tell me!Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Speed usually isn't a factor in offroad, but it becomes an issue once your driving skill is top notch on the pro race track. About the two speed, some people like it in their buggy, and a Picco .26 with a two speed combined can push a car up past 70+ mph easily, and that's scary fast even for a buggy.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Varad

Hey Kuma, Can you post some info in this thread about the ofna mbx r2 you are selling please?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:30 PM
dagass

Varad,

To change your picture and put a little saying unfer your name, click on the settings button at the top right of the page. Once there, you can choose to upload your "avatar" (picture). You can also put a little saying in the "custom title" box.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Varad

Thanks dagass for the 10000 time. But there is one problem with getting my avatar. I right clicked on a pic on ofna.com and saved the pic. I then clicked "browse" on the avatar screen. The pic went into the type box and i clicked enter. It wouldnt work. This is what i literally got:"Error Saving. Check avatar dimensions or file size". What do i do?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
dagass

For your avatar, you're limited to a 7.5K GIF or JPG. Anything bigger or a different type of image will not be useable. Let me guess, you tried to use one of the little animated buggies didn't you?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Varad

Good guess...Well where can i get a 7.5k pic. Could i search avatar on google or something?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:03 PM
dagass

I don't know what type of results that search would return. Basically, you can take any image (except an animated GIF) and open it in an image editing program. Reduce the picture size to 85 X 85 and also reduce the color depth of necessary. You may have to play around with it a little, but you'll get there.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Varad

oh i see...Yeah the search engine avatars are really crappy. Ill do that.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Varad

Sonic looks terrible. But itll have to do for now...
Old 10-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

<---- The devil made me do it!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
dagass

Success!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Varad

lol. Dagass, how did you get yours?? Editing it in a program? What program if you did that?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:58 PM
dagass

I jsut grabbed a picture of a PBS somewhere on the internet and edited it in a program called IrfanView. It's a great program and it's free. Check it out!

http://irfanview.com/
Old 10-08-2003, 07:20 PM
ShOzz

i gotta again give props to my ofna mbx pro

today we were parking lot bashing and it took a huge hit, popped up about 10+ feet in the air kartwheeled down about 40 feet over itself on the ground and stopped nailed against a parking block..

from a distance it looked jacked up.

the front wheel was all wrong, got up close and i was amazed at what i found.

the front arm had twisted around itself, i mean i have no idea how it happened and how it did not break but i just twisted it and it snapped back in place, absolutely amazing.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Varad

Yeah i know what you mean...The agony of going up to a mad expensive (touring car in my case) rc car and wondering what happened. Well anyway that just says that i should get that buggy. Ive never heard anything bad about it except for a bad steering servo included in the kit. Besides, ill get a new radio system anyway. So Shozz, overall is the MBX have speed, handling and (i just figured out from your post) durability?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:14 PM
ShOzz

yes it's durable, i think 3 guys watching today changed there minds from trucks to buggys after seing that .

speed is there , especially considering most of us run on dirt and jumps.
if i had to say if there are any must haves, and you want preformance then don;t scimp on the steering servo, get the 200 oz torque servo, nitrohouse is having a sell. it is well worth it and makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Varad

Okay. On rc car action, they said to put in at least a 80 oz torque servo. But 200oz...Ill take a look at it. Also, you know how the 9.5 and hypers are their racing buggies, Are their MBX an LX their "bash around" durable type buggies?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:13 PM
dagass

The Hypers and the 9.5's are the flagship buggies for Ofna and are more well suited to race. The MBX Pro is quite a capable buggy though in it's own right and in the hands of the right person it can be a competitive race buggy too.

To answer your question though, in stock trim, the MBX Pro and the LX are more bashers than racers.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Hummer Man

The PBS is a great buggy very fast, handles like a dream, and the durablity level is awesome!!! I have jumped 31 feet, i am to scared to jump farther!! I got mine for 430 off eBay, new in box and it was the newest version!!!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:45 PM
dagass

They are definitely tough! I'm hoping to make some tuning adjustments on mine to get a little more speed so I can top this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49988.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	66676  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.