Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good steering servo for 4-tec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Militia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good steering servo for 4-tec?

Looking for a decent steering servo for my 4-tec. My spending limit is $35.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Aerobirdbrain

Default RE: Good steering servo for 4-tec?

http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...prod=HRC31525S

http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...prod=HRC31545S
Old 10-17-2003, 12:59 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

For the same price you can get the Hitec 605BB ultra that has twice the torque, it can be had at Tower for the same price...$30.

If you really want a great steering servo, you might want to up your budget a bit and check out the Hitec HS-925MGJ Servo High Speed 2BB Coreless J. This is what I have in my car and its awesome.
This is a metal gear servo and will hold a line in a turn like you would not believe.
Its all metal gear so you wont trash it, ever.

103oz of torque is slightly beyond whats needed, which means you have a little extra if you need it. The speed of this servo is awesome at .08 seconds.

Check it out at Tower, its quit a bit more cash but you wont be sorry.

SPECS:Transit time: 0.11 sec/ 60 deg. @ 4.8v (0.08 sec/deg @ 6V)
Torque: 6kg-cm (83 oz-in) @ 4.8V (103 oz-in @ 6V)
Weight: 56g (1.97 oz)
Length: 39.4mm (1.55")
Width: 20mm (0.78")
Height: 37.8mm (1.48")

Dbow
Old 10-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Militia

What I am really wondering about is with a high torque servo, does that mean it will hold its trim better and keep it more centered?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:22 PM
dbow

Just about any high performance servo will provide more accurate response and hold your settings better in comparison to the cheapo standard stuff. A lot of it does rely on the transmitter also. It does not make a lot of sense to put an $80 servo in a car with a $80 dollar radio.

The 925 I listed may be a little overboard for your needs, I like to always get the best I can so that I dont have to come back later and grab something else. The 605 or other comparable servo may be all you ever need. However the 925 could follow you into other cars in the future, so thats something to consider based on your future intentions in the hobby.

One thing I am thinking about though is that the issues your seeing may not reside with the servo itself, but rather in the design of the car. As I said the high performance will be better than the Standard servo but if you have a lot of slop in the steering linkage no matter what you put in there you will see the same response in centering and trim.

The linkage may be the root of your problem. I dont have a 4-tec but have driven them before and worked on them before for other people. I dont recall the nature of the steering linkage, but given the overall design of the car it may have slop.

When I got my first RS4 the linkage had so much slop and play in it that I had to beef it up with heavy duty ball cups and replace a few of the parts to reduce the play. It still was not perfect but it was better than stock.

Usually you dont notice these type things as much when you are a beginner, but later the flaws of the car begin to come into view. If you are racing it becomes one thing after another and trying to bring the car up to a certain level becomes a battle and very costly. It really all depends on what your intentions are but if its to race and get better performance the ultimate conclusion is to not upgrade everything and grab a pro level car. You will save tons of cash by doing so.

Of course if you have different intentions, beefing up the steering linkage and adding a high performance servo may be all you ever need.

Dbow
Old 10-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Militia

How would I go about beefing up the linkage? Where would I go and get these heavy duty ball-cups and such things? To me every time I run over a decent crack or hole, it really messes up the centering and I gotta use the steer trim to keep goin straight. Thats my main problem.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:41 PM
dbow

Well the first thing you need to do is keep the car out of the pot holes.

As for how to beef it up, you need to take the linkage apart piece by piece and see what exactly is causing the slop. There is a ton of slop in that car, I looked at one today at the track and there was about 4-5mm of play on each of the front wheels. I could move the right front wheel back and forth 4-5mm and not even move the servo. There is slop all through the linkage which is more than just a couple of spots.

As for the heavy duty ball cups, RPM makes some and they can be had at tower. With these alone you will reduce it some but there are other problems in the linkage.

I cant really tell you what all you need to do because I myself would have to take the linkage apart to see where all the issues are. You can do it yourself though and figure out what needs work. I doubt you will be able to get all of it out unless there is an after market steering set.

Good luck

Dbow