Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
TA NTC3 rtr $290
25.00%
Ofna LD3 rtr w failsafe $309
20.83%
Ofna LD3 rtr w/o failsafe $249
8.33%
Ofona Z10 rtr $274
0%
HPI RS4 3 rtr $270
41.67%
Hot Bodies Tornado rtr $270
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Touring Car on a Budget

Old 10-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Element

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Car on a Budget

Hello Im wanting to get a nice Nitro Touring car for racing this winter I have a budget of $350 at the most and it has to include every thing(being my first nitro i dont have a glow starter etc).I have found some really nice cars but i need to know witch woudl be the best for racing at the track.Also with the ofna LD3 is the failsafe really needed for racing? Thank You for any help you could offer
Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Blackjaxx360
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Touring Car on a Budget

Out of all the cars listed, the NTC3 would be top pick. The Ofna does come with a two- speed though but the TC3 is still a better car.
Parts availability should not be a problem also. And it can be easily hopped up. Had a guy last year win the championship at the local tracks with a bone stock (kit) TC3. There were others racing HPI, Team Lossi, Ofna, Cen, and others. Most of which were hopped up pretty good. Of course when he won, it just complimented his driving ability. I would get the kit, has more goodies and should fall within your $350 range, but you still have to buy the extras. Most RTRs are not race ready and might take a little more money to get them to be. I don't know of any car that comes with the glow ignitor unless you come across a package deal somewhere. And of the cars mentioned, none of which do without that deal. Look to spend about $50-$75 extra when buying a nitro car. You will need batteries, fuel, glow ignitor, fuel bottle( not required but recommended), glow plug wrench( some come with car some don't), small flathead and Phillips head screwdriver, after run oil(not required but recommended). Hope this helps. Oh and besides a temp gauge, a failsafe is one of the smartest things you could buy for your car, regardless of your personal type of use of the vehicle. Seen and heard too many sob stories about cars and trucks without them.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Element

The ofna rtrs all come with a kit that icludes every thing but fuel.
I have a wuestion abotu the NTC3 kit how are they better than the ready to run?Also why are they prised the same when the rtr includes a radio and all?
Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Blackjaxx360

Well the kit does not come with an engine or radio. the ones that come with the RTR are enough to get you going, hence RTR. You might opt to change the engine and radio in the future. But to make up for not having an engine or radio, they give you a good handfull of hop ups to go. Therefore they are a better race car. The RTR is a sufficient starter but the kit will save you a bundle in hop ups. You can get a good cheap radio for under $75 and a good engine for about $100. At Towerhobbies it cost $259 plus radio, $75 and engine, $100. Brings the total to $434 plus extras for a true race ready NTC3. Little more expensive, but who said this hobby was cheap?!?!?!?! Oooooopppppppsss! Forgot you'll need a body also. Tack an extra $15 to the total.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Element

Ill probally start with a rtr i dont have a spare radio and cant afford $400 right now(just finished my evader project).What does a failsafe do in the rc world?sounds like i could save alot of money on the LD3 if i dont get the failsafe.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:45 PM
injectedsmile16

On www.ultimatehobbies.com you can get all those cars for cheaper. You can get the Hot Bodies Tornado RTR for 209.99 I was wanthing to get one but decided to buy a Rustler for my little bro.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Blackjaxx360

ORIGINAL: injectedsmile16

On www.ultimatehobbies.com you can get all those cars for cheaper. You can get the Hot Bodies Tornado RTR for 209.99 I was wanthing to get one but decided to buy a Rustler for my little bro.

Stay away from Hot Bodies engines, not a good move. Heard more bad than good about them.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:26 PM
injectedsmile16

From where? I havent heard a single thing at all about this car. I dont see how it could be so bad though seeing as how there parts and otehr things are pretty nice and durable
Old 10-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Blackjaxx360

A failsafe allows your car or truck to "stall" when the radio signal is lost or battery power becomes erratic. Ever seen a nitro car at WOT head straight into a wall or a curb? I've seen some results first hand and online.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:09 PM
raceme

TC3
Old 10-21-2003, 01:49 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I have an LD3, it's a good car. Durable, and fun to throw around...I also have a Tornado, and while it's O.K., I had to do some mods to get it to work well. The F. belt shredded on a sharp edge of the chassis right under the F. diff. and it rubbed on the steering servo, and top deck. The engine is kinda pukey on power...I put an O.S. .15 CV-R in it and it's much better now (my Fusion spoiled me)...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Element

so the rs4 has been the best sotck touring car? I guess its down to the TC3,LD3 and the RS4
Im calling ultimate hobby to see the prices since they can only psot msrp with some companys
Old 10-21-2003, 07:37 AM
ShOzz

really if you plan to race you only have two race cars listed, the ntc3 and the ld3.
the others are more , lets go just have some fun outside kind of cars.

the ld3 is pretty much race ready. it comes out of the package with 2 spped and can hit 50mph or so claimed by ofna. the failsafe is not needed but nice to have if you are using an am radio incase you get interference. so either one would work for you. the ntc3 has no two speed so you might end up wanting one, but either of those two are made with racing in mind.

for just bashing the hpi would be a good choice as well, but the ntc3 and the ld3 are shaft driven so even for bashing a pebble will not bring them to a stop as a belt drive could.

hope that helps ya decide.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:14 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Youll be happy if you choose the LD3...it's basically a clone of the TC3 except it has good diffs instead of crap diffs. There are plenty of hop-ups available and it's inexpensive. If you decide to spend some money on hop-ups later down the road you will have a sedan suitable to win races.
And don't worry about the two-speed...it's really overkill unless you plan on doing high speed runs.
You might want to consider spending a little money on a setup board as well...1/10 sale sedans are touchy and any setup help is huge.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:18 PM
migueloo

350?? you still need fuel.... and lots of fuel. unless your so good that you don't need to practice
Old 10-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Element

ya and witht he ld3 i can save the money from the nitro starter kit and get a gallon or 2 of fuel ans stills tay under $300
Old 10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Flipglifbergrox

hey, i dont know where you all live but where i live, NOBODY carries parts for OFNA. You should look around your local hobby shops to see what they carry and ask their opinion. Your car will break often and frequently and you will need to fix it and you will need to buy replacement parts. The HPI will be extremely easy to get parts for, and im not sure about the LD3 or NTC3. Where i live you can get tons of parts for NTC3 but none for the LD3, so you should check around to see how easy it will be to replace parts. (I live in Orange County, CA.........THE OC! LOL)
Old 10-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Element

It dosent really matter about parts i only buy brushes (for electric) there anymore I order all my parts online now my LHS is a rip off but they do have a nice track but i ahve to pay $2 to run there(for non competition) even thugh i used to spend $200+ a month there.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Megaman1OO

with the ofna ld3 with failsafe u really get your moneys worth
Old 10-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Element

ok sounds pretty good to me.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:30 PM
knotteboi
My Feedback: (1)

I just purchased a HPI Nitro RS4 RTR 3 ( i think thats it?) Off ebay, it came with a broken in car (only 5 tanks in it), radio, reciever, fuel bottle, glow plug igniter, all kinds of little extra things... glow plugs, a brand new set of tires, a plug igniter... and everything, All I need is gas...
Want to know how much I paid for it?
$150.00....

Amazing, huh? :-D

Ebay is the best way to go, My friend.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:55 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

ok, the two you want to pick, Rs4 or Ntc3. NTC3, designed very well and great for track... RS4 like everyone else said is a good bashing, parking lot fun car. Both are decent starter nitro touring cars. The NTC3 is a bit more expensive than the RS4 even on ebay.

Good luck!