Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro MT engine leak problem

Old 10-25-2003, 11:55 AM
apoc_metal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro MT engine leak problem

Ok... I've been having a problem with my engine lately. I recently rebuilt most of it, and was dying to get it running... then when I finally got it running, it was immensely dissapointed by the performance.
Then I noticed fuel spray on the chassis, right next to the motor (this was separate from the spray from the tuned pipe, which was also there... i was runnign w/out a body). I ran it again the other day, and actually saw exhaust coming from the engine! It was very odd. I couldn't quite tell where from... though I assumed it was where the exhaust header attaches to the motor (both stock).

I took the header off a while ago, and replaced it, which I fear may have caused the problem. Now there is no low end at all, and the high end is very weak, though it sounds like its going fast! (haha).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Should I just replace that little gasket thing between the header and the engine block? I checked the screws, and they were all tight, and I couldn't see anything strange...

Or do I just need some sort of sealant?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:07 AM
nitrofan

Default RE: Nitro MT engine leak problem

It could be coming from the gasket between the pipe and the engine, or it could be coming from the shims under the cooling head. I would try a new exhaust gasket first, as that is the more likely problem. If it is okay then move on to the cooling head. remove the screws that hold the head on and check the condition of the head shims. One little speck of dirt on the sealing surface can cause a leak. Its also possible that your cooling head is tightened unevenly causing the head to sit slightly "crooked" on top of the engine. When you retighten the head, make sure that you snug each bolt first before torquing any of them. then torque the head bolts in a "criss-cross" pattern. This should eliminate any leaks from there.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:23 AM
apoc_metal

Okey dokey, thanks for the help
I'll be adding another gasket and rechecking things. I haven't taken off the cooling head, so that shouldn't be it... I think you hit it on the head with the gasket thing
thanks again!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:23 PM
nitrofan

when you said you rebuilt it, I thought you meant a new piston and sleeve. thats why I thought the head had been off. since it has not, you almost surely have a problem with that exhaust gasket.