Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is the worst that could happen if I buy a used Vehicle?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What is the worst that could happen if I buy a used Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the worst that could happen if I buy a used Vehicle?

what is the worst that could happen if i buy a used nitro car offroad because here in australia cars are 2 or 3 times more expensive than in america nitro evader here is 750 dollars[:'(]so im thinking to buy 2nd hand and possibly do it up
Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Default RE: WHAT IS THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN IF I BUY 2ND HAND USED VEHICLE

and if there isnt anything wrong with it what car or st do you guys reccomend im looking for an offroad st or car and also i would like it to be quite fast and also very very durabble
Old 04-13-2004, 07:49 AM
DirtDriver89

HPI nitro mt Bmxer2076 has one for sale in the market place with great potential
Old 04-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Mastec

ORIGINAL: SmArTeCh_2004

nitro evader here is 750 dollars[:'(]
OMG! ! ! ! [X(]
Old 04-13-2004, 05:45 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

[] so what could possiibly go wrong??
Old 04-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Worst case scenario?
The engine could be totally shot, and you'd have to get a new one. The servos could be all stripped out, radio not work, and have a bad tranny.... [&:] The other things (bearings, shocks, etc) could be bad, but are much cheaper to work on/ replace.

Most likely, if you buy something used, you should just be careful about the engine and radio. [8D]
Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 PM
ericheller

worst case synerio: you buy over an online auction and pay with a check or money order, and the guy says he will send it after the check which you made out to a false name/bussness clears. so he cashes the check, doesnt send the car and you never hear from him again. or you buy it and it arives taken apart with every single part sawed in half, or broken.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Goku

ORIGINAL: ericheller

worst case synerio: you buy over an online auction and pay with a check or money order, and the guy says he will send it after the check which you made out to a false name/bussness clears. so he cashes the check, doesnt send the car and you never hear from him again. or you buy it and it arives taken apart with every single part sawed in half, or broken.
Yeah, this one wins for worst scenario
Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 PM
potatoe_bird

Or it arrives and it's a radioshack car or worse, tyko. [&:]
Just make sure to ask lots of Q's and get pics. Positive feedback is good too.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
dbow

It depends on how you are buying the model.

If you are buying online you must check the history or feedback and see what type of rep the seller has. Sometimes even with good feedback you can get a bad deal. Most of the time good feedback, good response to questions from the seller, and pictures that appear like the owner took good care of it , lean towards the good side. It is still somewhat of a gamble however because you cannot see or feel the model. Like previous post suggest, if you did get a junker you could end up having to dump a lot of cash into it to bring it up to an acceptable level, cash that could add up to what you would have paid for a new model.

Keep in mind that some online places are hideouts for thieves and crooks, you could end up sending your money and getting nothing...Something to think about.

If buying locally (best option in IMHO) you rely on your own observation skills. Be sure to inspect the model from front to back, if it looks like it was abused then walk away. If it looks like the owner took care of it and it runs good then you will probably be fine in purchasing that model. I always make sure that I run several tanks through cars and trucks before I buy to make sure everything is in good order.

It is very easy to get a good used model for a great price if you do your homework and be cautious.

Goodluck

Dbow
Old 04-14-2004, 11:38 PM
vizaracer

ORIGINAL: potatoe_bird

Or it arrives and it's a radioshack car or worse, tyko. [&:]
Just make sure to ask lots of Q's and get pics. Positive feedback is good too.
that would be bad, but funny. my friend once bought one of those zip zap miniture cars and it said it went 210 mph! well, that was to scale. those were 1/100 scale and they went 2.5 mph. lol. that doesnt have much to do with this except the tyco cars but its funny. he spent about 40 USD on those things to find out they go 2.5 mph. lol.

i do suggest that buying locally is the best. you get to go and see the car so you dont get ripped off by not getting it. and you always want to test everything out on it like a new car. its just like buying a used full size car.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:44 AM
Vintage_Duff

SmArTeCh_2004, i know how u feel AUS is so expensive
if u want a good tip dont buy from LHS and dont belive anything they say
they just wont to rip u off.
ill tell a story:
my friend bought a OFNA titan deluxe for $1300, the people in the HS
said its the best MT out when he got it, he tried it out on their track. the first problem was that the steerin servo was so crap he says the tyre's didnt turn when the truck was still, and the HS people said it was flat battries so they changed them and it did the same he was sick of all these lies so he just bought a HT servo $70 and then it was fine. when he came home he started up again, and the pull starter melted. then he wait 2 weeks for parts. and ever since he has had trouble with the MT and the HS people

buy on-line in the US at;
www.southeastrc.com
www.stormerhobbies.com
www.towerhobbies.com
www.novarcproducts.com
www.rcxshop.com
www.radiomodels.com.au (last option)

how ever i spent 1700 on my savage SS i got the truck and remote and other stuff to run it for $700 and $1000 in hop-ups, up-grades and other stuff

Moral:
people who supports their country's finance's gets ripped off
Old 04-15-2004, 02:09 AM
Aerobirdbrain

Above all, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE PAYPAL!!!! It will save your pocket book if the guy screws you over.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:21 AM
neap38

That you buy a car and you find out its 15 years old[:'(]
Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Maxx-Crusher

I think the worse thing that could happen is much worse than first led to believe here.

It is time to start thinking outside the box.

Once upon a time someone bought a used RC. It arrived in the mail as promised. It was truly beautiful. All shiny and sparkley. It even ran to perfection. Engine temps aroung 250. It would stop on a dime. It was the best running machine he had ever owned.

One day he went to the local park to do some bashing. The car was screaming. Then with know warning he lost control. The car crashed into a utility pole. The pole was rotted and fell over like a cut timber. The utility pole carried control signals fron m the local nuclear power plant. The plant lost all of its' cooling ability. The reactor went into meltdown and triggered an explosion. The explosion was so massive that it it sent false launch signals to the local Air Force base that caused it to launch all of its mssiles in its arsenal. With all of the nuclear blasts around the world 99% of humanity perished. Just when you think it can get any worse ... ... the heat of the explosions caused the engine temps to go over 300. Now that's the worse thing that could happen
Old 04-15-2004, 03:56 PM
vizaracer

LOL. good story.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Default RE: What is the worst that could happen if I buy a used Vehicle?

anyone know where i can buy a 2nd hand car online using a credit card
Old 04-15-2004, 05:54 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Sure... get a paypal account and check out the marketplace... some folks will take paypal.
Worst case, start scouting around on E-bay.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Goku

ORIGINAL: Aerobirdbrain

Above all, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE PAYPAL!!!! It will save your pocket book if the guy screws you over.
I didn't think Paypal offered any such protection..... personally, I use it all the time and It's my preferred way to do a transaction.... but I've noticed a lot of anti-paypal sites out there claiming that paypal doesn't do squat for the users....

I keep using it though- I figure I enjoy the convenience enough to take on the risk.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
ericheller

ORIGINAL: Maxx-Crusher

I think the worse thing that could happen is much worse than first led to believe here.

It is time to start thinking outside the box.

Once upon a time someone bought a used RC. It arrived in the mail as promised. It was truly beautiful. All shiny and sparkley. It even ran to perfection. Engine temps aroung 250. It would stop on a dime. It was the best running machine he had ever owned.

One day he went to the local park to do some bashing. The car was screaming. Then with know warning he lost control. The car crashed into a utility pole. The pole was rotted and fell over like a cut timber. The utility pole carried control signals fron m the local nuclear power plant. The plant lost all of its' cooling ability. The reactor went into meltdown and triggered an explosion. The explosion was so massive that it it sent false launch signals to the local Air Force base that caused it to launch all of its mssiles in its arsenal. With all of the nuclear blasts around the world 99% of humanity perished. Just when you think it can get any worse ... ... the heat of the explosions caused the engine temps to go over 300. Now that's the worse thing that could happen
lol, dang dude, i think you would have bigger problems than the engine overheating, like maybe burning alive. but ya that wouls suck, especially if your the part of the 1% still alive and you knew it was your falt that everyone you knew died, and some other people whom you dont know.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
sarpiparpi

WORST THING CAN HAPPEN IS WHEN U GET THE CAR EARTH COULD EXPLODE AND U NEVER GET2 RIDE UR TRUCK N THATD SUCK ASS
Old 04-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Goku

ok folks this is getting kinda cheesy[&:]
Old 04-15-2004, 10:21 PM
newbie003

the worst i think can happen is if you buy a car from some crazy dude that ships the car and everything and when you open the packge there is a bomb with a 3 second count down......you know the rest of the story lol[&:]. Yeah this thread is getting a little silly