Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

One-way slipping

Old 03-13-2005, 08:44 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One-way slipping

Hi all,
The one-way bearing in my Novarossi CT-12 pullstart keeps slipping when i try to start it. If i do manage to get it started and run it for a while than it is fine, but every time i try to start it from cold the bearing slips. Then i have to remove the manifold and pullstart case from the engine so i can get to the starter shaft (the one that sits in the one-way) to remove the oil, and even when clean it often slips.

I have got a dremel, polishing wheels and polishing compound (for removing scratches etc) and also some wire wool. Is there anything i can do to the shaft to make it lock onto the bearing more easily. It use to lock fine when it was new, but engine wear has polished the shaft in parts.

I don't want to replace the shaft/bearing and was wondering if anyone had any info oin how to solve the problem.

Thanks, Chris.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
enjoymentboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: One-way slipping

Unfortunately this is a common thing with pull starts. I have found that generally you can fix it by doing three things. You've done the first part by cleaning the starter shaft.

Secondly, I like to run some 400X sandpaper over the shaft to roughen it up just a little bit. You do not want to go crazy on it and take it out of round or make the diameter too small. Just bring down the polish a bit.

Third you should take the one way out of the pull start and give it a good cleaning. The best way I have found is to soak it in denatured alcohol WITH the starter shaft. Put the shaft in the one way and give it a twist in the alcohol. Do this a few times and most of the oil will come out of the bearing. This has helped me keep using the samer one way on an OS 12 CV for over 8 gallons so I can assue you that it does work.

However...if the one way has been dragging ont he shaft for too long either the bearing or the shaft could have gotten worn too far and they will have to be replaced.

Enjoymentboy