Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Somthing Editors should consider!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
greasysnowball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somthing Editors should consider!

ok this is somthing that i have noticed and it really angers me! why dont TV Stations cover ROAR or IFMAR? i was thinkin that editors could maybe get to the big TV stations like ESPN, SPEED Channel, TNT, or G4! i would appretiate it if you guys would consider this..

Michael Harkey

if you can give me some feedback if you deside to do this at [email protected] or [email protected]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Greg V

Default RE: Somthing Editors should consider!

From what I've heard, some of the sports channels have been contacted about covering races and their reasoning for not taping RC is that the cars don't seem as exciting on film as it does in person. That hasn't stopped us from trying to get RC on TV, we had some coverage of our events at Indy shown on Indianapolis local networks and who knows, maybe it will help the larger networks reconsider some day.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
greasysnowball

thank you for the response Greg V. I hope they reconsider.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Scolson

To make things more exciting they should A: build more exciting tracks with bigger jumps or B: Big Air Competitions!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:00 AM
BobHastings

We try to get RC out in front of as many people as possible, generating TV interest definitely falls into that category. Most recently we appeared with Speed TV's "Infield Hot Pass" doing a segment with Hendrick Motorsports. The show aired the weekend of the 26th and we'll have a feature in the mag shortly...maybe even soon.

Bob
Old 07-29-2005, 01:14 AM
crazychris7

we tried getting espn out for the 2005 ROAR nats, since they put stuff like hot dog eating contests, arm wrestling and such.. but it was a no go...

Chris
Old 07-31-2005, 05:54 PM
phoenix22

ORIGINAL: Greg V

From what I've heard, some of the sports channels have been contacted about covering races and their reasoning for not taping RC is that the cars don't seem as exciting on film as it does in person. That hasn't stopped us from trying to get RC on TV, we had some coverage of our events at Indy shown on Indianapolis local networks and who knows, maybe it will help the larger networks reconsider some day.
hey dude are you Greg Vogel from RC Driver?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:40 AM
DavidBaker

Yes... V is for Vogel
Old 08-03-2005, 12:41 AM
dxm2

I couldn't believe it when I saw an eating contest on ESPN!

Everyone should go to the ESPN website and email them about how RC Car racing has got to be more popular than eating contests.
You can leave them an email at http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espn.com.html. Same thing with SpeedChannel, which has become the 24 hour Nascar channel. Just let them know you want to see RC Car racing.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 AM
xmaxxboyx

i totally agree that they should cover rc, id much rather look at a XXX-NT than 230 hot dogs on a table with 4 slender asian guys sitting there eating them. so i will email them and complain about this.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Speed TV has been some help. They did a segment called "Mikie's Mic" that featured some Losi cars racing and Dave Despain has had some coverage on his show Wind Tunnel.
I agree with the others too, I don't think that Spelling Bees belong on ESPN either.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:46 PM
greasysnowball

well clearly im not the only one that feels this way about RC Cars getting more coverage than they do
Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 PM
hpiguy

Do you guys ever watch Inside R/C? They have numerous races on their program throughout the year.

R/C racing will probably NEVER make it in mainstream TV. For one, the manufacturers are cheap. They will not spend the coin it takes to advertise during the programs on ESPN. Inside R/C has been on for a few years now and the same five companies advertise and that's it.

For two, it's boring on TV. Hardly any tracks are set up for good filming and good vantage points. All the tracks would have to be rebuilt to accomodate larger platforms and up close taping.

Three, no money. What does a national champ really win? A trophy and maybe a couple grand if anything? Not exciting like a $25,000 prize for eating or a $50,000 scholarship for spelling.

Four, bad timing and locations. They hold these races in oddball countries in the middle of nowhere. Hardly anyone but the racers and diehard fans attend. No crowd means no excitement. Then they hold the race on the same weekend as other huge events and wonder why noone shows.

Five, we are seen as dorks and nerds. And until we stop arguing on the internet or about motor winds and batteries, wire sizes, etc we'll always be seen as that.

Six, our own elite attitude. Few R/Cers, expecially the young ones are willing to help others get into it. First thing people say about R/C when someone asks is the prices. Don't tell a new guy he needs a $1,000 race setup to play. He'll be fine with a $100 Grasshopper to begin with and have fun with.

Seven, the industry is so small yet the manufacturers hate each other. They can't agree on standards for wire plugs, batteries, hub sizes, radio connectors, etc. If they won't cooperate on even simple stuff like that, how do you expect them to agree on TV coverage?

Eight, thirty different classes. We need to pick one specific class and promote the heck out of it if we want to get on TV. But noone can agree if it should be 1/10th, 1/8th, large scales, and then once a size is agreed then what vehicles? Truggies, Trucks, 2WD, 4WD, come on and pick one!!!!!!!

Nine, ROAR and IFMAR are jokes. Noone votes and the manufacturers control them anyway.

Fix all this and we'll get on TV.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only seen Inside R/C on DVD as my cable system doesn't have that channel. Yeah, I've got 100+ but not that one.[]
We are still small potatoes in the world of hobby/sports. I'd love to see anything R/C related put on any channel, planes, boats, cars, whatever.
Any sport isn't as exciting as being there in person.
The sanctioning bodies want to keep money out of our racing. They feel that money would make racers want to smash into others and put them out of the race. Gee, like that doesn't happen in NASCAR? At least the big name racers in cars and trucks are getting sponsorship money, your household names like Kinwald, Cyrus and Drake are doing pretty well for themselves. If you're in other facets, you'd better be selling what you're racing to make a living.
Location. We boaters have a HUGE race in Europe that is attended by 50,000 spectators with parades, etc. but that doesn't happen here in the US.
We may seem odd to outsiders for dumping so much money into our "toys". This is what makes us happy and they're missing out.
Our hobby/sport is just like any other one. Take Golf for instance. Not my cup of tea but you can go to Putt-Putt or Pebble Beach.
The big money isn't out there as many companies are small operations save for a few.
Too many classes? Yes, we run into that problem also. Most of our races are one day affiars with some clubs now going to 2 day races because of so many classes now being offered. Our big national event races run 7 days.
Sanctioning body problems? Yup, we've got them also. So does any other sanctioning body, some of the issues aren't so out in the open.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM
RCSloth

Hey guys, I'm going to throw out an idea for expanding the hobby and the sport of R/C racing, get involved in promoting R/C in education and Academic design and racing competitions.

Bob, you know who I am, we have emailed back and forth a couple of times and I did that Mars Rover article in Robot for you guys. I have put a lot more thought into my ideas about R/C in the classroom and a national competitive event and I still want R/C Driver to be involved. Your's is the only magazine that has not resorted to trying to emulate a skateboard magazine, if you know what I mean.
I started a thread over on Starting Grid and have gotten great feedback and stories from some of the posters. Perhaps we can do something similar here and use the educational success stories as a new part of R/C Driver. I thought I'd plant the seed and see what pops up. I want to start a Web site where people can learn more about R/C in the classroom, but that's a ways off. I have tons of lesson plan ideas that I'd love to share, and I know that there are parents, teachers, and students have an interest.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:18 PM
RCSloth

Sorry, this is John Richardson, forgot to mention in previous post.