Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why does my motor bind up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 PM
ROADRACER516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my motor bind up?

One second it will pullstart just fine and next the motor binds up and will not turn over and I feel like I am going to snap something inside the motor? I just put a brand new .18 in my XTM Xcellerator and I had the same problem with the original motor. Can anyone offer me a reason why this is happening? Much appreciated

PS: I am a newbie but have built motorcycle roadrace motors and am pretty mechanically inclined. I just dont get it
Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why does my motor bind up?

Its probably hydro-locked. That means that there is too much fuel in the combustion chamber. As liquids cannot be compressed, the engine cannot turn over as the piston is unable to move any further up the sleeve to complete the cycle (before moving back down the sleeve). This is often as a result of over-priming the engine, or an excessively rich needle setting.

When the engine becomes hydro-locked you need to remove the glow-plug, turn the engine upside down, and slowly pull the pullstarter a couple of times. This should expell excess fuel from the engine and will enable it to turn over. Reinstall the glow plug and try to start again. If you try this and the problem occurs again, loosen the glow plug a little (maybe 1/4 turn) and try to start the engine. This will allow some of the fuel to escape, and the engine should come to life. When it does, retighten the glow plug and drive.

Oh, and usually engines that are properly tuned do not hydro-lock (correct air/fuel mix). So when you get the engine running tune it and then next time you come to start it, it should not lock.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 AM
nitromacguyver

its called hydro-lock. if you try to start it and over prime it or stop the engine by blocking the exhaust the air/fuel mix will collect in the crankcase and cylinder. it doesnt take much but when it happens it feels exactly like your describing. the fix, pull the glow plug, turn the truck upside down and give the pull start a few pulls to get the excess fuel out of there. put the pulg back in and you should be ready to go.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:27 AM
nitromacguyver

wow only a minute apart. damn that dial up [:@] oh well
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 AM
ROADRACER516

Thanks SOOOO much guys, I will give it a shot and report back
Old 05-14-2005, 11:03 AM
ROADRACER516

Man ......these things are so finicky I cannot believe it? I did what you recommended and it freed up for a few pulls and then started again. My needle settings are at factory setting (3 out on high speed, 5 out on low) and I am pretty sure I have the idle screw in a decent place based off what my friend told me. I loosened the glow plug a bit and leaned out the high speed mixture in about 1/16th incriments to no avail? This is a BRAND NEW motor........***? The motor is not as hydro locked now as it was before (if that makes sense to you), but it is still bothering and just does not feel right? Any further advice is appreciated.

PS I hope once this is figured out it runs like a clock, my patience is running thin...........this is ridiculous!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
thecave

I'm having the same problem and I have tried everything! I've broken atleast 5-6 cords in a row. I repaired it so many times..I bet I'm running out of string. I just don't get it. Now, I'm looking into a start box or a handheld shaft starter thingy. Is this common to be a pain in the you know what. My first weekend with it and out of commission, this suxs.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:14 PM
nitromacguyver

it sounds like the low speed needle is way to rich. go by what the manual says, not what a friend recommends.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:16 AM
ROADRACER516

Thanks, but as mentioned, the low speed is set at what the manufacturer recommends (5 turns out), I was refering to the idle adjustment, which I have set where my buddy says it is likely to work fine. Motor still will not start [>:][>:][>:], I really cannot believe that these are such a pain in the *****.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:05 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* Make sure the glow plug is ok (element not distorted & glows bright red/yellow)
* Check that enough fuel is in the combustion chamber. You will never start an engine if there is not enough fuel, just remember that too much fuel will lock the engine. Prime the engine, try to start it, prime it again (only a little bit)... etc...etc.
* Is the fuel new, or has it been sitting on a damp floor for a few years?
* Is the idle high enough? If the engine will not start when everything else has been checked, then increase the idle (use the trim adjustment on the transmitter), so that there is about 1.5/2 mm opening in the carb. When you try to start the car make sure that the wheels are off the ground, or else when it starts it might take off!

"Thecave" & "roadracer516" - HAVE FAITH! The engines can be a pain to start (usually when they are new), but once you have had it running a couple of times and got some fuel through it, and it is tuned you should be able to start it every time!