Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Driver w/ First Car -- HaiBoxing

Old 07-18-2005, 12:32 PM
palmdaleDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driver w/ First Car -- HaiBoxing

I bought off Ebay a HaiBoxing electric off road buggy. The price was the primary attraction. I expect little from this car. Mostly to see if this is something I want to really get into or not. And then very quickly it is to become the loaner car for when friends and family come and visit.

What I'd like to know is what is the size of the investment ($$$) for a good(?) buggy? Something that will hold up well with little abuse and require only nominal maintenance?

I've yet to decide if I'm staying purely electric or will venture into Nitro. I'm building/clearing for a large track in the backyard, so I'll have to see what kinds of speeds the three clover leaf track will hold.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 PM
rc car CRAZY

Default RE: New Driver w/ First Car -- HaiBoxing

could we please have a ebay link to the item.

Ben
Old 07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
palmdaleDriver

The guy has a ton to sell. I watched several sell -- high was $86 and low was $49, that I saw. Got mine for $51, before shipping. [8D]

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5987521305&category=2565&rd=1]Ebay Linky[/link]
Old 07-18-2005, 01:56 PM
rc car CRAZY

It will be fun but Its not really a proper rc car. It wont do 40mph, probably 18. You could learn how to drive from it but then you will want to upgrade to a what I call a real rc car like a team associated rc10b4.
Its fine for wha you paid but Upgraid as quick as you learn.

Ben
Old 07-18-2005, 05:03 PM
×SlappY×

yes, its good to get u in the hobby, its a knockoff of the tamiya baja champ seen here

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGA30&P=7
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
palmdaleDriver

ORIGINAL: sl4ppinb4ss3r

yes, its good to get u in the hobby, its a knockoff of the tamiya baja champ seen here

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGA30&P=7
Then I did well, as the Ebay buggy comes with a radio.

I use to fly gliders off the California coast line just above San Francisco (i.e. Marin County), and learned that a whole hell of a lot of fun can be had with just the basics and some beginners equipement. In fact as the gear evolved into more costly stuff, and the planes flew faster, higher and did more acrobatics so did the anxiety of trying to land the SOBs. LOL! I'm going to have a lot of fun with this little beginners buggy.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 PM
×SlappY×

yea, the only bad thing about it tho is IF you are to break soething you will probably have a hard time finding replacement parts.... BUT the baja champ parts MIGHT fit, im not sure though,
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
palmdaleDriver

My buggy showed up today. I've been drolling over it now for an hour. Soon I'll pull the batteries off the charger and putt putt this bad boy up and down the hallway.

I'm so excited!!!!!

Here's a picture of it.

[link=http://home.att.net/~morePower7/NewElectricBuggy.jpg]My New Buggy[/link]
Old 07-19-2005, 08:17 PM
×SlappY×

let us know how it goes man
Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 PM
palmdaleDriver

First impressions: WoW!!!

It just takes off. The battery only had a partial charge so it slowed down after a short while. It's getting an over night charge and I'll give it a good run tommorrow morning. I'll practice my ovals and figure 8's. The car seems rock solid, but I'll take extra care to run it in the wide open as I don't need to be hunting down parts during my learning phase.

I'm impressed at how many parts and how complex these cars are. Amazing that anyone can purchase this for less the $100. Thanks China! My early days of fly-by wire gas planes, and gliders left me with an impression that this hobby was of simplicity. This car is very complex, and I'm glad I don't have to build it, and don't look forward to taking it apart to replace some tiny gear. When that day comes this may see the trash can.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Ahab

"Hobby Grade" RC (as opposed to tyco or radioshack type "toys") are often very complex with many parts. but unlike the RS or Tyco they are *designed* to be taken apart and rebuilt. So whilst it may seem like a nightmare to have to tear down your buggy just to replace a small gear it will usualy all make perfect sence once you start work. And a tip my 1:1 pilot friend gave me that he uses when he is working on his plane - take digital photos of each stage as you dismantle the thing, that way you have something to refer to when putting it back together.

but anyway, that may never be an issue.

Have fun tomorrow
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
palmdaleDriver

Well the car has been put thru its paces. I think it's fast. Probably not even 20mph, but plenty fast for me. One of the dogs has allready gotten it into its mouth. There's a tooth puncture thru the cars side window. Nobody was hurt inside.

Car had some problems going into reverse last night. I sprayed the motor down with WD40 and it seems to work better now. I might pick up some silicon spray as that leaves even less of a residue.

I can see allready that this is going to be a loaner car very quickly. I've ordered a Tamiya the Nitro Thunder. I like the quiet of the electric car, but the battery rundown time is a problem.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:16 PM
HiDriv3r

Not to highjack...

I also bought one of these from the same seller.

After receiving it followed the instructions and got it ready to roll. It goes forward and turns fine, but the reverse
doesn't always work. When the car humms/buzzs after you turn it on it reverses, but after you turn the steering
or go forward it won't reverse. On rare occasions it will jitter (like when the batteries are low) if left alone
(not messing with radio)

Anybody know what might be going on? I emailed the seller 3 days ago and am still waiting for reply.

palmdale, you said you had a problem and used wd40 on motor....where actually.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM
palmdaleDriver

The WD-40 isn't the answer. []

My car has the same reverse problem. I find that by flicking the accel. trigger forward 4+ times will usually get the buggy going in reverse. For the money I paid for this car, I figure that's a small problem that I'll just live with.

It's a fun little buggy isn't it?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 AM
HiDriv3r

Palmdale....got the problem fixed!

Here are the 3 easy steps I took

1. Make sure all the knobs o the transmitter are in neutral; turn it on then the buggy.
2. Turn the throttle trim nob (TH. trim) clockwise until the car starts going forward by its self.
3. Now slowly turn the trim nob counter clockwise till it stops moving. It should work fine now.

Keep in mind that this car has a brake, there is a delay in the reverse. So if you are going forward at full throttle and slam on the reverse. It will not go in reverse, but instead brake the car...(slow it down). After the car is slowed down or actually comes to a complete stop the revers will then kick in.

It's a fun little buggy isn't it?
Yes it is
Actually I think it is a very good beginners car for anybody thinking of starting out in R/C. I read on a google search result. That it is a copy/replica of the Tamiya Baja King. So if you happen to break something it should be no problem getting compatible spare parts for it.

Now I have to invest in some good battery packs. It's a power hungry little thing isn't it
Maybe even upgrade to a brush-less motor. Wonder if I could get it up to their stated 40mph.....[>:]

Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 AM
everythingRC

Hi, does anyone know the link to this manufacturers websight?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 AM
everythingRC

Hi, does anyone know the link to this manufacturers websight?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:33 PM
KSW12374

I HAVE TWO OF THESE" HAIBOXING" CARS. ONE IS THE MONSTER-TRUCK THE OTHER IS THE BUGGY THAT PALMDALEDRIVER HAS. THEY ARE FUN FOR THE $$$.I RAN INTO SOME TROUBLE WITH LOCAL HOBBY SHOPS AND PARTS. THEY ASKED ME IF IT WAS A RADIOSHACK CAR !!!! I BOUGHT SOME PIECES THAT DID NOT FIT AND TRIED TO MODIFY SOME FRONT SUSPENSIONS PARTS WITH NO SUCCESS.I EMAILED SUPPORT@GRANDHOBBY.COM(THE SELLER ON EBAY) AND AM GETTING SOME HELP WITH PARTS. YOU CAN ORDER OFF THE PARTS LIST IN THE BACK PAGE OF THE MANUAL.I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THEM FOR MY BOYS,BUT ENJOY RUNNING THEM MYSELF.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS OTHER "NAME BRAND" CAR PARTS I CAN GET LOCALLY. SOMEONE SAID THESE CARS ARE A KNOCKOFF OF A TAMIYA CAR.ANY TRUTH TO THIS??THE BUGGY IS ALOT FASTER THAN THE TRUCK,BUT MORE PRONE TO BREAKING PARTS.I HAVE THE SAME GOOFY STUFF WITH REVERSE ,THE SWITCHES ON THE TOP OF THE RADIO CHANGE HOW REVERSE WORKS...I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE FARTHER AWAY THE CAR GETS THE LESS REVERSE WANTS TO WORK.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 AM
jrmsr

1:10 SCALE HAIBOXING RC MONSTER TRUCK PARTS

I found the place to get all the parts you need for your truck..using yahoo or google search engine type......www.exportpro.biz there you will be able to see the parts, numbers, and the price. If you can not find it then type BONZER ELECTRIC RC TRUCKS and you will find it. BONZER is the name of the RC Vehicles. I came across your website today looking for parts and information, I never gave up on my search and came back to tell you all the great news!..

Take care
jrmsr656@yahoo.com
Old 08-21-2005, 01:08 AM
KSW12374

YOU CAN ALSO CHECK TAMIYA.COM OUT FOR PARTS OR CALL THEM DIRECT...THE HAIBOXING CARS ARE TAMIYA BAJA KING REPILCAS. ORDERED SOME STUFF FROM TAMIYA AND WLL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT. PARTS NUMBERS ARE IDENTICAL AS IN MY HAIBOXING MANUAL. AND ALSO LOOK IDENTICAL. WILL KNOW FOR SURE WHEN THEY COME. STILL THINK THEY ARE FUN FOR THE $$$. AS LONG AS THE TAMIYA PARTS WORK I WILL BE HAPPY. THE KIDS LIKE THEM TOO. MY BOY BROKE THE ONE UPRIGHT AND BODY MOUNT ON THE BUGGY. THE MONSTER TRUCK HAS HELD UP GOOD SO FAR...SITS UP HIGHER AND TAKES THE ABUSE BETTER. BUGGY IS FASTER THOUGH.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:41 AM
snowbl!nd

The buggy is based around the Tamiya TL-01 touring car chassis, so any parts you break on the main chassis (NOT suspension, shocks, wheels, etc) will be interchangeable with this very popular car.

I have had a TL-01 car for years, and they are tough as nails. Not very advanced, but perfect for bashing. It was my very first "proper" rc, and now i have moved into nitro, and the TL-01 lives in the attic. The car itself is still working, but the electronics are shot.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 PM
htjoel

Hello All,

I have also just purchased the HaiBoxing monster truck off eBay. I received it yesterday, and was very pleased at what I got in exchange for the $94 ($64 truck, $30 S&H) I spent. I also own a Traxxas Bandit with an Epic 17-turn motor hop-up (approx $140 from LHS incl hop-up). To be brutally honest, I didn't expect anywhere near the quality and speed that $94 would bring! I now have two vehicles for less than $250 total, and am having fun just bashing around and running on a couple of tracks and in the street.

Couple of questions:

Traxxas seems to have excellent support and spare parts don't seem to be a problem. Has anyone ordered and used spare parts from Grandhobby?

Also experiencing 'servo-twitch' and temporary loss of reverse on ESC w/ monster truck. I have tried Hidriv3r's solution, and it seems to work temporarily until I switch from battery pack to battery pack. Is this something we just have to live with?

Would love to hear from anyone else who has one, and for the money, I think these are a great deal.

Cheers,
Joel
Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
KSW12374

YOU CAN TRY GRAND HOBBY BUT I GOT TIRED OF EMAILING THE SELLER BACK AND FORTH ABOUT PARTS AND PRICES. THE MANUAL THAT CAME WITH YOUR CAR HAS THE IDENTICAL PARTS# FROM THE TAMIYA CAR I MENTIONED EARLIER. I BOUGHT TWO BAGS OF PARTS FROM TAMIYA DIRECT AND THEY COST ME ABOUT $20. YOU CAN TRY TO GET STUFF FROM THE SELLER BUT TAMIYA IS EAISER. CALLED THEM UP AND GAVE THEM THE PARTS #. GOT THE PIECES IN A FEW DAYS . THEY COME IN A BAG OF MULTIPLE PARTS SO I GOT EXTRA PARTS WITH THE PIECES I NEEDED. THE KID RAN IT INTO A WALL.. THE REVERSE THING IS A MINOR HASSLE I THINK FOR THE $$ YOU SAVED ON THE CAR. THE BUGGY I HAVE IS EVEN QUICKER THAN THE MONSTER TRUCK. ITS A FUN AFTERNOON WITH THE KIDS AND NOW I KNOW WHERE TO GET MOST OF THE PARTS I NEED.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Muttlydog

Hey guys got the same monster truck as everyone or similar like you guys having problem getting parts but after reading posts will try Tanya as for the reverse problem the electric box supplied with the kit is prone to over heating to be honest i think it cant handle the motor make sure that colling fins are attached securely or alternatively you can scrap the electrics and replace it with a standard receiver and electronic speed control (about 50 quid in total) which also solves the problem. The weird thing is that you have to cross wire the motor (yellow to blue and blue to yellow) otherwise you car goes back wards when you try to forward) but once you replace the combination one performance is greatly improved in reaction time and power as for rundown time on battery life being poor the reason is the power supply provided is pants being a measly 1800ah mh try getting a 4000 ni-cd its the bees knees holds charge better and lasts longer taking these simple steps will make it quiet a competitive machine (especially now i have hoped it up) but i crashed it and broken sum primary vital parts like drive shaft and a front bearing and steering housing

Cheers guys catch ya later
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Muttlydog

ha ha cool yer you guys are correct just go to tamiya online type in the part number from the manual in the part search box and bingo there is your part nice one thanks for ya help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.