Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions for a novice on-road car

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for suggestions for a novice on-road car

Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
va_connoisseur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions for a novice on-road car

Greetings All. I am new to the RC world. I went to an VORRA/ROAR race in Virgina this weekend and I am hooked on the on-road nitro cars. I did not want to ask what peeps were running in the pits (aside from being rude, the guys/glas looked like there were intensely tweaking their cars for the next heats) so I will pose a similar question here.

What is a good car either 1/8 or 1/10 scale for a person that is new to nitro but would like to be competitive in VORRA (ROAR-sanctioned) races? And I'm not looking to put $1500 in a hobby car, so no I am not looking for a Mugen. lol. But something relatively good/competitive. That is easy to get parts for and handles well. I hear a lot about the Schumachers and I'm partial to Traxxas (I own a T-Maxx 2.5) but I am not limited to those.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Looking for suggestions for a novice on-road car

you might want to look at associated they have awsome cars and trucks if you like kits go for the tc3 barry baker edition and then you can get a ae15 for it and then get more faster and expensive motors if you want a rtr try the plus version it is a nice car to start out with
Old 08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Stalefish

I just picked up a Tamiya TT-01 real cheap. I upgraded the motor and some other items and I took 2nd last week in a LHS racenight. All in all I probably spent $250 including a new body that wasn't needed. Once I'm proficcient with that, I may upgrade to a better car later, but for now, the Tamiya is making me happy.

Jay-
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

I think you should start with the r40, it's expensive. But if you can handle the car while your just starting to get into nitro, by the time your a expiranced driver or learned how to have complete control of the car, you will be very competative on the track.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
rcjunky22
My Feedback: (2)

Try the new Academy nitro TC. Its supposed to be very user-friendly, and very good for a novice on-road driver.
[link=http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/rcCarsBoats/product.asp?ID=1827&Subcategory=RC%20Vehicles]Heres the Academy car, Hope you like it.[/link] Anyway, good luck on finding a car!
-andy
Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 AM
va_connoisseur

I've narrowed the search to the Traxxas 4-Tec, Associated TC3 Plus, Schumacher Fusion 21 and Megatech Razor. Right now the Schuemacher is looking like the favorite. I'm a speed junkie
Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

well have fun handiling that on a track I have driven a nitro 4 tec on a track it is fast be also super squirrely