Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Drag Racing

Old 07-14-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

me too flight........

As a weekend bracket racer/street class racing, I have an interest
in Rc drags too. Their just does not seem to be very much information about it out there.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Drag Racing

Seems I'm one of the few who will actually answer the original question and not be an ass about what takes more skill.I am interested in RC Drag racing..maybe another non-debate thread would be better for those actually interested.As soon as I saw the thread I knew it was gonna be like this.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14 PM

Default RC Drag Racing

I like the idea of rc drag racing too. I think my shcumacjer xtr accelerates fast...would love to build a funny car. Haven'y found much apart from bolink make some nice looking cars.

Stu
Old 07-14-2003, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Drag Racing

I saw a video somewhere of a what looked to be 1/8 scale funny car smoking the tires and it looked like it would fly.I'd hate to wreck at 80 mph,I bet it'd destroy the car.Does anyone know of a RC Drag site?are there dragstrips for em?I thought about getting a few photo eyes and making a light tree that would really stage but its whats at the end that would be hard to do...hadn't thought that far into it.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:08 AM

Default RE: RC Drag Racing

Teamwalbern.com puts out a nitro dragster, funny car, and a pro stock kit. All types of racing is a challenge. jus some differ from others. try driving a 3 pound car with a .21 in it. better yet try keeping it straight. in a dragster it's easy, but my funny car is jus crazy.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Banned

i know nothing about rc drags
do they hard tune rc drag engines like the real ones
use like 40% fuel
and fry the engines regularly

also do they run tuned pipes and air filters or not
or does it just matter how hardcore you go

also most important
do the tires smoke when they do burnouts cos the tyre on my truck dont
Old 09-09-2003, 10:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I used to be a drag racing mechanic, it was alot of work and took alot of trial and error and skill to get the proper setup, I can see the same in RC. I wouldn't mind having an electric dragster just for show and sit it ont he shelf with two 9 turn motors in it. Other than that, drag racing RCs aren't that much fun for me, nor are onroad since I'm an offroad guy.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:52 AM

wow, talk about bringing up an old dead post.

My cousin and I have been working on plans to build a new chassis and a few other mods to convert one of the most common nitro touring cars into a rwd drag car. Purely for fun, of course, but we have been playing with the idea of setting up the clutch such that it winds out pretty high before it engages, and hopefully can break the tries loose and spin 'em a bit. We have a Trinity/Picco .15 4-port that we will be using for testing, but in a 4wd touring car it lights em up, so the burnouts should be easy to come by.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 AM

RC Drag racing does take skill... It also does cost more to keep up with the others...

Regular track racing, you can have a slow car and still win. It is all in how well you drive. I have seen an OFNA Dominator do better track times than some high power onroad sedans.

I personally like to watch the RC drag racing. When they flip or lose control, they have bigger and better wrecks.....

JMO
Old 09-10-2003, 04:59 PM

does anyone make a good starting tree for RC drag racing?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:22 PM

Port-A-Tree and Race America make systems for RC Drag Racing. I may have a complete system for sale before to long.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:46 PM

I'm tired of reading all this "RC drag racing doesn't take skill" talk.
You get one a try it. In a 1.70 run if everything is not just right you could destroy the car right in that 1.70 second run.

OFF road I never tried but do have a rustler and its seems easier than drag , all you got to do is peak a battery and go or with nitro gas it up let is cool and go again.

I'll even post pics of nitro drag car if you want..... let me know.......
Old 12-31-2003, 04:03 PM

something about fruit comes to mind here.... hmmmm apples maybe? oh yeah and oranges.

drag racing is like speed chess. gotta be quick.. react quick.. know what you are doing before it happens. but make one mistake and you lose (unless the other guy screws up then its a toss up)

coarse racing is like regular chess. gotta be consistent for the whole thing. mistakes can cost but there is time to make it up.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:28 PM

Old 12-31-2003, 06:18 PM

Ok then here are some pics
My blue F/C

My buddy's nitro rail.

and a picture of a rc drag track in clinton N.C
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86952.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	86615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98559.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	86616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40417.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	86617  
Old 01-01-2004, 03:17 PM

I have a thunder riger ssk 4wd its a .21 sized engine, i was just wondering wht kind of speed i could achive with it
Old 01-01-2004, 05:07 PM

Fastcar,

You do Carolina Speedway?

I live in Clinton by the way.

Corbett sold the track.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: nitroman88-RCU

...how many times has a dragster landing nose first coming off a 5 foot jump at 40+mph(tracks pending).
Digging up bones……

But that struck me funny anywayz.

In the center of the track there are boxes that have reflectors mounted on them to absorb the laser beams that “clock” the speeds and ET’s. The boxes are made as a ramp as appose to squared off so that should a car veer toward the center and hit a box, it won’t disintegrate on impact.

So, have you ever seen a 24 inch dragster hit a ramp doing 70 mph only to see it fly skyward of 10 to 20 feet upwards, 40 to 50 forwards and come crashing towards earth?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:30 PM

What kind of tranny do you guys use? Could you rig up a fully manual transmission in one of those? Seems like that would work better than an automatic tranny...

And once again about this skill thing... Drag racing is not easy. My friend races a 1:1 scale '73 Gran Torino. I go to the races with him as often as i can... Its tense, and its hard. One tiny mistake and you lose! With RC, it has to be MUCH harder because everything is smaller. Less time to react (Like less time to brake near the end of the track so you don't break out!).

I can wait to get my lisence so i can race my mustang ('71 mach 1 w/ 351 Cleeveland)!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:34 PM

there shoud be monster truck drag racin..on the dirt with jumps and what not i think that woul dbe coolhave i set up like the real ones only instead fo crushin cars just add a huge ass jump what-do-ya-think?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:52 PM

Why not crush cars? Stick a few Duratrax street force GP's in the way for your Savage to pound over! Nothin' against duratrax stuff...
Old 01-01-2004, 09:56 PM

ha lol i dunno i just think doin it up monstewr truck style would be awsome then u could have "true" scale races lol add a freestyle session at the end and ya got a winner if the big trucks can do it why not 1/10th or 1/8th trucks..
Old 01-01-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How's about mud drags! Or tractor pull type racing!
[X(]
FR
Old 01-01-2004, 10:19 PM

rc tractor pulling would be awsome..that would put the trucks to the test puuling wise i think every one would be using EK4s tho just fo rthe engine...mud bogging would be fun too but i think tractor pulling would be the better of the 2..specially if u could rig an rc semi trailer to have a big block of weight set at a certain angle weghin bout o i dunno set the bar high at 50lbs..and let it rip...wouldb be interesting to make just the trailer

hmm maybye my next project..a tractor pulling trailer..rc stylewould have to figure out a way to rig a hitch or maybye just use aircraft cable or small chain..or big chain who knows..but im gunna find out
Old 01-02-2004, 12:13 AM

ummm they already do tractor pull "racing" i forget where i saw the trailer set up but it was pretty cool not to mention the multiple engine tractors one wass in a magazine in december issue had 4 engines and look realy cool

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.