Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Drag Racing

Old 11-19-2002, 12:52 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN,
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Is there anyone on the forum into RC Drag Racing? If so please let me know.
Joe Kramer [email protected]
Thanks
Old 04-19-2003, 03:21 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Silver Spring, MD,
Posts: 359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Rc drag racing isn't really a way to show any skill at driving them. Its basically a way to show how much money you have to put into the car.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:28 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pax River, MD,
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

i used to watch r/c drag racing and their is a skill involved. Just like touring cars, it's all about setup and driving. If either one is off, then you aint gonna win.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:56 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: West Palm Beach, FL,
Posts: 176
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

It takes A LOT of skill to keep a 24" long land rocket in a straight line going 80+ MPH. Just like touring car racing, you have to keep your car on a track going about 40 - 50 MPH, but the slighted error in draging will result in a session of multiple flips.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:57 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

in drag racing you dont have to turn and you dont have to know when to brake until the end of the drag. there is no one on your lane trying to knock you out of it. You really have no other cars to look out for. It reqiures reflects not driving abililty. You gotta watch the tree and hit the throttle when it turns green, thats one of the skill parts. the other is setup. If you really wanna see who is the better drag racer i would have all the same chassis and engines and gearing and that would mean that all it was up to was tunning and reflects. too me that would be a real drag race. I was considering a funny car as my next project after i invest in a Mt, it may still happen but who knows.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:29 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfax, VA,
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Real drag racing does take alot of skill, you know how much horsepower those real drag-racers have? 8000bhp!!!

But no racing takes more skill than formula 1 though (IMHO never driven one }...that reminds me there is a race this weekend If anyone wants to see some real driving skill watch speed channel tomorrow (sunday) at 7:30 AM or 9:00PM EDT on the speed channel...its great... 1500 Pound cars, 750hp, 22,000RPM and 4 g's in the turns (not to mention 0-100-0 in about 6 seconds)


Anyway, I'm not sure about RC Drag racing it probably is more of whos car is faster, but if both people have the same car then I guess it could be competitive.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:23 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: santa clarita, CA,
Posts: 470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by KyleSch
Real drag racing does take alot of skill, you know how much horsepower those real drag-racers have? 8000bhp!!!

But no racing takes more skill than formula 1 though (IMHO never driven one }...that reminds me there is a race this weekend If anyone wants to see some real driving skill watch speed channel tomorrow (sunday) at 7:30 AM or 9:00PM EDT on the speed channel...its great... 1500 Pound cars, 750hp, 22,000RPM and 4 g's in the turns (not to mention 0-100-0 in about 6 seconds)


Anyway, I'm not sure about RC Drag racing it probably is more of whos car is faster, but if both people have the same car then I guess it could be competitive.
Ok, lets recap: Michael Schumacher is sucking wind this year, definitely not on the pace, his brother isn't doing any better. Montoya is supposed to be carrying the Williams team but seems to keep finding ways to lose, Barichello isn't helping Ferrari much, the new F2003 chassis has been delayed because its too slow, and somehow we have yet another McLaren-driving Finn dominating F1, only this time its not Mika, its Kimi. Any bets on who'll win this next one?

Nah, i don't follow F1 at all, heh.

Back to the topic, I've actually driven 1000+hp drag cars, and I've spent some time on SCCA (autocross and touring cars) tracks as well, and I can tell you that drag racing isn't any easier than racing on a circuit. Different, but not really any easier. Small mistakes become huge mistakes much faster in drag racing, and 0.01 seconds can be a LONG time.

Lets not go bashing any form of racing, or RC. If someone is into it, cool. Everything has its own challenges, and if it isn't for you, well great, then go do what yer in to. Personally, I think it would be cool to try to pilot one of these RC drag cars.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:28 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfax, VA,
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Did you do research to find that F1 stuff you got there? The Schumacher brothers are in the front row for the race tomorrow, although michael and ferrari aren't dominating like last year, they are 16 points behind mclaren mercedes, Kimi Raikonnen has won 2 of the last races I believe... lol
Old 04-19-2003, 06:43 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

we are not talking about real drag racing. we are talking about rc. its not like if your rc dragster crashes its gonna kill you like in real drags. I dont see how 2 seconds of accleration can be just as hard as a main in rc racing. There is a huge difference in skill. Lets just put it this way.

rc drag racing is:
setup
reflects
tuning
minimal streering
last 2-4 seconds depending on strip size

rc offroad racing
setup
reflects
tuning
sterring
jumping
passing
pitting
running a line
avoiding other cars
can last as long as you want(generally the heats are about 6-10 minutes, mains can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours!!)

rc onroad racing is just the same as what i listed for offroad only without the jumps.

so in turn i highly doubt rc drag racing takes as much skill as rc circuit racing. alot of the skill involved in drag is in the reflects and setup but that alone cannot equal what it takes to drive, maintain, tune, and setup a on/offroad vehicle on a track.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:50 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: santa clarita, CA,
Posts: 470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by nitroman88
we are not talking about real drag racing. we are talking about rc. its not like if your rc dragster crashes its gonna kill you like in real drags. I dont see how 2 seconds of accleration can be just as hard as a main in rc racing. There is a huge difference in skill. Lets just put it this way.

rc drag racing is:
setup
reflects
tuning
minimal streering
last 2-4 seconds depending on strip size

rc offroad racing
setup
reflects
tuning
sterring
jumping
passing
pitting
running a line
avoiding other cars
can last as long as you want(generally the heats are about 6-10 minutes, mains can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours!!)

rc onroad racing is just the same as what i listed for offroad only without the jumps.

so in turn i highly doubt rc drag racing takes as much skill as rc circuit racing. alot of the skill involved in drag is in the reflects and setup but that alone cannot equal what it takes to drive, maintain, tune, and setup a on/offroad vehicle on a track.
I'm not debating that. I race offroad RC, and I'll be running onroad soon too. I've also got quite a lot of experience with both drag and touring racing in real cars. I agree that RC drag racing probably doesn't take as much work as offroad.

All I'm saying is why bash something? If thats what they are into, then let them have fun. Whats the point of bringing it down?
Old 04-19-2003, 07:58 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: santa clarita, CA,
Posts: 470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by KyleSch
Did you do research to find that F1 stuff you got there? The Schumacher brothers are in the front row for the race tomorrow, although michael and ferrari aren't dominating like last year, they are 16 points behind mclaren mercedes, Kimi Raikonnen has won 2 of the last races I believe... lol
To be honest Kyle, I really hadn't kept track of the qualifying for tomorrow's race. I also have no doubt that either Schumacher Bro is capabale of winning any race at any given time, but I really don't think qualifying truly reflects the faster driver anymore. With the rule changes this year, qualifying (ie: run full-fuel so you are ready to race or light qualifying fuel for a better spot on the grid) is more strategy than pure "who is faster" like it used to be.

Kimi has been on the top of the poduim for the first 3 races, but the last win was later given to Fisichella, who actually should have had it in the first place (FIA finally did something right

The issue that Schumi and Ferrari aren't running away like last year is exciting to me because michael had become intensely boring to watch, and that just means that this year the car isn't winning, the drivers are (since ferrari no longer has such a huge advantage in technology)

I'm a BMW-Williams fan myself, but I'm really impressed by Kimi, and of course DC is just DC, he will always be cool, so I'm not sorry to see McLaren at the top.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:59 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by WhiskyVR-4
I'm not debating that. I race offroad RC, and I'll be running onroad soon too. I've also got quite a lot of experience with both drag and touring racing in real cars. I agree that RC drag racing probably doesn't take as much work as offroad.

All I'm saying is why bash something? If thats what they are into, then let them have fun. Whats the point of bringing it down?
i didnt bash rc drag racing, like i said I was considering a nitro funny car as my next projet after a Mt so why would i be bashing them?
Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: santa clarita, CA,
Posts: 470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by nitroman88
i didnt bash rc drag racing, like i said I was considering a nitro funny car as my next projet after a Mt so why would i be bashing them?
my mistake
Old 04-19-2003, 08:03 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

hehe its alright, everyone makes mistakes, thats what makes us human.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:31 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfax, VA,
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Whisky, I know that one lap qualifying kinda sucks now. Yeah I watched Brazil last week it was crazy 10 cars out. Fisisicella (I have no idea how to spell his name) didn't win because when it ends early like that whoever was in the lead 2 laps before the finish wins, and Kimi was passed a little bit late, I kinda felt bad for the guy.

There should be more F1 RC cars, That would be cool I think, with all the downforce and all Maybe I'll make one lol.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:21 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN,
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

In RC Drag Racing you make ONE mistake and your beat. In off road most guys make several mistakes every lap. When has your off road car covered 132 feet in 1.6 seconds at over 83 MPH.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:19 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

I still do not understand why rc drag racing would take more skill then rc offroad. I already made a list of what is reqiured for both and the offroad racing just simply has more things too take into consideration then drag. And remember it not like you dont crash in offroad racing either. how many times has a dragster landing nose first coming off a 5 foot jump at 40+mph(tracks pending). you can argue with me but im ready to move onto the next topic. like I said im not bashing dragsters just stating the facts.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:28 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN,
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

I did not start the arguement, I just asked if there were any RC Drag Racers out there. Some one else started the battle on what is hardest.
BTW, if you landed head first, that was a mistake on your part.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:34 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

umm no i did not make the initial arguement. Yes rc drag racing does take skill like any other form of rc racing. as much as offroad rc racing, in my opinion it doesnt compare. If you dont beilive me then thats fine with me but that my take on the whole situation.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:01 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Silver Spring, MD,
Posts: 359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by WhiskyVR-4
All I'm saying is why bash something? If thats what they are into, then let them have fun. Whats the point of bringing it down?

I didn't mean to come off like I was bashing it. It just doesn't seem like it takes all the much skill to keep it going straight. I would much rather race on a track.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:08 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfax, VA,
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by JKramer
In RC Drag Racing you make ONE mistake and your beat. In off road most guys make several mistakes every lap. When has your off road car covered 132 feet in 1.6 seconds at over 83 MPH.
I'm not bashing it here, but remember thats the same in offroad/onroad racing, one mistake and your out.

But every single competition takes as much skill as another because your racing an opponent. They will always try to be better and faster than you, its just the skill is in different ways.

In road racing the skill is to know the right line to take, in drag racing its carefully manipulating the throttle for best acceleration possible, but the same rule applies, whoever is faster and more skilled at that type of racing will win.

I hope I wasn't confusing there
Old 04-20-2003, 09:17 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brockville, ON, CANADA
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by JKramer
In RC Drag Racing you make ONE mistake and your beat. In off road most guys make several mistakes every lap. When has your off road car covered 132 feet in 1.6 seconds at over 83 MPH.

I "dropped" (drove) my car over a cliff once... :drowning:
Old 04-21-2003, 12:08 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
joelacrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 686
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

It takes TONS fo skill to hit the throttle right when that light turns green. Believe me, its hard!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:02 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Originally posted by KyleSch
I'm not bashing it here, but remember thats the same in offroad/onroad racing, one mistake and your out.

But every single competition takes as much skill as another because your racing an opponent. They will always try to be better and faster than you, its just the skill is in different ways.

In road racing the skill is to know the right line to take, in drag racing its carefully manipulating the throttle for best acceleration possible, but the same rule applies, whoever is faster and more skilled at that type of racing will win.

I hope I wasn't confusing there
yes but remember in circiut racing, manipulating the throttle is also a skill used. Circuit racing uses all the skills that drag racing does plus a whole lot more. so I dont see how drag racing is just as hard as circuit racing. Kylesch i do agree with you on this, If you crash in a offroad race your car may servive but you will most likely end up loosing 3-4 positions, you may even end up in last place! so that is just as bad as blowing off in a drag race, you loose aswell. It is true that if you crash a dragster the end result will more then likely be worse then a typical offroad crash, BUT we are not talking about risk, we are talking about skills.Plus in drag racing your main thing that you practice is hitting the throotle at the right time. Second you practice how to keep it on the strip. Thats about all it takes to race a dragster. Now for circiut it takes practice in, turning,braking,throttle control,pitting,jumping,and passing techniques. So i still dont understand how drag racing can be just as hard
Old 07-14-2003, 06:45 AM
  #25  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Flight Risk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Rocky Flats, CO
Posts: 785
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RC Drag Racing

Gee, 24 posts and nothing about drag racing. I would like to see some pics and info on building.

FR

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.