Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ofna dominator

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 03:09 AM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna dominator

anyone have/seen/know anything about this truck? curios cuz im thinking about buying one,ofna in my exp is a pretty teliable maker so im guessing its a good truck,your 2 cents is wellcome
Old 11-28-2002, 04:16 AM
R.C.Lovett

Default ofna dominator

I have the Monster Pirate and I love it, the Dominator is as you probably know the same truck with a couple of slight differences. The Dom. has a slipper clutch and different tires. The only thing that is lacking is the fact that the shocks are buggy shocks, as this monster is a converted Ofna Pirate buggy, when they did this coversion they did I right except for the shocks. From the prototype that I had bought to present they have made quite a few changes. When I bought mine it had 6mm front cva's, plastic diff. cases, plastic spur, and 3 screws in the diff. housings. Now the Dominator come stock with 8mm front cva'c, aluminium diff. cases, steel spur, and 4 screws holding the diff. housings together. All of these improvements were much needed, but now the thing is bulletproof! The ring and pinion are helical cut hardened steel gears that last a looooong time, mine really don't show any signs of wear! Because of them being helical cut, when you hit the brakes with those big tires, the gears would force away from each other and make a hidious grinding noise, that's why they had to add another screw to the diff. housing. There is a really nice conversion for the suspension for the Dominator, check it out on their website www.ofna.com . The conversion looks expensive though. The diff. gears used to blow until they changed the diff. cases to aluminium, and the front axles would not last long doing alot of high jumps using the 6mm cva's. I hear good things about the Hyper .21 but I don't have any personal experience with that engine, I have the OS RG .21.

I think the new HPI Savage looks cool and looks built right, I have heard good things about this truck, but as with all nitro's it has a couple of problems. The 2 speed set screw needs loctite, (small prob. really). And the C-hubs could be stronger I hear, also the space for changing the gear ratio is very limited, (can change the spur to get around that problem). Very small problems for a truck that has just come out. A great deal at $425 shipped. I think you should read some reviews on this truck and give it a hard look! My 2 cents
Old 11-28-2002, 04:20 AM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

Default ofna dominator

thanks for the input! i think ill make it a ofna though,hpi is on my black list,just dont like em,anyway its like ford/dodge/chevy thing really
Old 11-28-2002, 04:29 AM
R.C.Lovett

Default ofna dominator

One thing you should do to the shocks on the truck is drill the tiny little single hole that they put in piston of the shock to 1/16th of an inch diameter and add another hole. The shocks are way way too slow and stiff if they still are using just that one tiny hole in the piston.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:48 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Default ofna dominator

i did the same to my mp shocks. i also removed the sway bars and locked the diffs with jb weld...now the ultimate rock crawling mp plus they dont strip gears anymore. it handles terrible on high traction stuff at low speeds though. Do you think if i geta dominator kit i could use the parts to fix my mp?(diffs,linkages,bulkheads,bigger axles) or if i should use my motor and elecs on the dominator?
Old 12-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Isphius

Default ofna dominator

Also there is a few different versions of the mp. my uncle just got one and he has 8mm axles, and the top chassis braces are a little different. my diff cases also have 4 screws, but still 6mm axles. i alsp have a problem with my brakes, sometimes they suck and other times they flip the truck over...cant explain it, its not water cause it changes wet,dry,street,dirt all the time. Could it be a servo problem?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:56 PM
WeirdKooKy

Default Ofna improvements

They changed a few things one the MP that carry over to the Dominator. One thing that really makes the difference is the fact that they use aluminium diff cases now, and they don't stretch out and strip the gears like the old plastic diff. cases did. And the other changes like the 8mm axles and steel spur. The Dominator has all of those changes plus new, better suspension, front and back. When you are talking about the diff cases having 4 screws, I think you mean the improvement that they made on the diff. housings. As far as the brakes go, I think the disc needs lightly sanded with super fine grit sand paper, you might flip the pads around too. It doesn't take much at all to mess with the performance of the brakes. It could be your servo, if your steering and throttle use the same servo, try switching them. If not, maybe just buy a backup servo.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Isphius

Default ofna dominator

thanks for the help. the case im talking about is the one that goes directly between the bulkheads, not the one with the ring gear. the inner case has only 2, the outer one has 4. I will try to fix my brakes tonight. I also have brass brake pads that i made with a jigsaw. they grab much better than those paper type ones it came with. I dont have to worry about the diff gears anyway because they are packed full of epoxy.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:55 PM
jdavid2002

Default ofna dominator

I was just wondering if Pro-Line bodies fit on the Ofna Dominator? If not, where do I go to find some different bodies? Thanks.