Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Whats the worst thing that could happen?(my story)

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Whats the worst thing that could happen?(my story)

Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the worst thing that could happen?(my story)

First, I am a family guy who is married and has two young kids.

I am so deprived of my hobby time, very little time to play so when I see a window of opportunity, I always take it, even when there are risks.

Here is my story, last Saturday, even with bad weather. I had about 3 hours for myself before I had to do some important errands. So, I took my RC10gt and fired it up to test my new mod (bigger gas tank). It was still sprinkling so I just ran circles at idle speed in our covered patio (about 15’x15’ area). After one tank, the rain stopped, so I filled it up again and went outside the streets. The surface was not really wet but there is water running beside the curb going to the storm drains so I was careful not to get it wet.

I was very happy that the mod was okay, and that the rain has stopped, ran two tanks and only consumed about 45 minutes of my three hrs. So I filled the tank for the third time, and went to the park behind our house for I know it will be empty, but I was wrong – there were a number of people there who were amazed by my RC and became spectators.

So my ever so careful driving became aggressive, running at full throttle, jumps on bumps, wheelies, etc. (show off)…Until my car got close to the kids play area – the sand pit.. I was turning and the car hit something that made it flipped and landed in the sand pit. It just rained so its pretty much a mud pit. The car was upside down, and under water…

It was about 10ft with in the sand pit, so I have to get in there to pull it out…Put my right foot in, and my shoe went completely under the mud, still cant reach it, so I put my left foot in, and again my shoe in the sand, mud and water.. Got the car out…

As I tried to get out of the mud, my left foot got stuck, got my right foot on the concrete now and pulled my left foot harder.. Got my foot out, out of my shoe. My shoe still stuck in the mud..So I have to go back and retrieve my white FILA. (One of the most embarrassing moments of my life – spectators now laughing)[sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif]

Walked back home, car dripping with water and sand, shoes covered with mud, went in the back door after hosing down my shoes and legs and getting rid of my socks..(of course not telling my wife, like nothing happened). So I cleaned up the car, blew air with my compressor, dumped the contaminated fuel, changed the plug, and tried to fire it up.. 1 hr 15 minutes consumed by this time, and spent the next 2 hrs trying to get it started. Consumed all of my time trying to start it again and was not successful and now I have to set it aside and attend to my important errands.

Got back late night and stayed up taking everything apart and cleaning them. Assembled it again and lubricated the engine. Turning the flywheel was still difficult, it still has a good pinch, pull the cord and still pop, pop, pop. The new sleeve and piston was just broken in recently. I have not tried to start it yet – until I see another window of opportunity.

Running 3 tanks consecutively then going under cold water, have I ruined my engine????

Old 03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Whats the worst thing that could happen?(my story)

Did you pull the engine apart yet?

I wouldn't run it again until I pulled the engine out and got the thing apart to inspect the crankshaft, conrod, piston, sleeve wrist pin, and thoroughly lubed the crank bearings. Chances are you are ok, but again I wouldn't try to crank it until I rebuilt the engine.

Guys on this forum have fully submerged their trucks in lakes, ponds, rivers and came out unscathed with a thorough cleanup.

I feel your pain, and I understand the tight family schedule...
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Timmahh
Banned

the water will dry up and a good douseing the ARO will lube it all, but id stil yank it apart and clean the entire engine and carb. not due to the water, but the Sand, one grain and your back to a new piston and sleeve... rip it apart, ensure theres no sand, put it back together and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN..

Tim
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Yeah, I stayed up all night taking the engine apart, cleaning them, then used up half a bottle of trinity RAO, everything looked okay, nothing warp. Assembled it back together, and primed it just with oil. Accidentaly sprayed some in my eyes when I pulled the rip cord with out the glow plug. I thought I was gonna be blind..but I'm okay....

The dual layer air filter prevented the sand from goin inside but there were some in the mufler.

I am more concern of the sudden engine temp drop. Should I expect a drop in my engines performance.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Wide Open

engines retain heat fairly well, so im not sure how much the temp really dropped. i dont expect the engine was running while it was in the sand? if not, then the drop in temp should not be something to worry about.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Philster

Stop worrying. Clean her up and enjoy. I started enjoying the hobby when I knew that accidents, submersions and emabarassment all had fixes.

My kids are now 4 and 6, and we get to enjoy my cars together. You'll find time. One thing I learned was to never 'rush' or 'force' time to run my vehicles. You can try to plan time, rather than just wait for it.

All work...no play...etc...

Don't worry so much that the hobby is work.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
gm72

Sounds like something from a sitcom! I'm laughing, but not at you, just at the situation. I have a 3-year old. She loves when daddy runs the truck--she likes to call it baby and tell it what to do. Daughter: "Okay, baby, come over here right now." Pede: Comes over. Daddy: (in a baby voice): "Can I go on the jump now please?" Daughter: "Okay, but you come right back or you have to sit in time out." Kind of a fun little game to play.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

GM72 - Yeah I know, I was laughing at myself when I got home, but really dissapointed of what I have done. I dont want to share it with my wife because I know what she will say anyway - 'I told you so'

Philster - I know, that's the only reason why I have kept my cars for longer than I can remember, cause I know my kids will enjoy it too.

My son is four, and my daughter is 11 months, I cant wait till my son can grip a Futaba, for now he plays with his 5th scale Dodge NewBright with a small 2-stick controller. He can hold the pistol grip but fingers are short and cant apply the brakes or reverse.
Cant wait to have a race buddy all the time.

Yeah, I learned my lesson that day...I need to have more patience..

I know it will take more years for my kids to get in the hobby with me, but for the family guy - family first before hobby...
I enjoy being with them anyway wether working with my hobbies or not...I guess I could just make my hobby collecting rc cars for now (ha ha). For the cost of RC cars now are way up there, and keeps on going up....

Thanks for all you input.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Crash 81 10
My Feedback: (1)

thats why i stick to electrics, IMO they are just easier
Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 PM
J_D

an electric would be totally screwed if it went under water i think...

These things happen. you live u learn
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run boats in the summer and almost every few runs I have to go out in the middle of the lake and pick up my boat since it completely dove under water.(completely) My most used boat is a 7.5cc(.45cu in.) OB tunnel hull found in my gallery. We use no air filter since there is no point, and our radio box and boat is completely water sealed.

I have never seen anyone's boat engine not be able to fire up after taking the glow plug out and cranking the water out.(right after being completely submerged) My only concern for you would be your electronics and sand. The filter as you said should have stopped any sand that may be inhaled. Sand most likely didn't get through the pipe/header and in to the cylinder but is possible.

Since you took the engine apart cleaned/relubed it I would feel there is no problems to encounter. I loved your story and had to respond to it, good luck!

EDIT: When we retrieve the boats the engines are cooled close to lake temperature almost immediately from running temperature. We have no problem with quick cooling of the engine after multiple dips!

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Wide Open

never mind, i guess these can cool down quite quickly.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

If this was to be my car, then i think that i would start crying![&o] Considering its my one and only car that started me off in r/c and has been modded to an extreme extent, with hundreds of hours of labor and time put into it! I would s*** myself! Hope it turns out good for you though!