Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

t-maxx on ice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
running_gag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-maxx on ice

or snow. I have orders to minot AFB ND. what do I need to do to my t-maxx to get it ready for running in snow and subzero temps?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: t-maxx on ice

Waterproof the electronics, dry thoroughly after EVERY run, carry more spare parts (plastic is much more brittle in the cold) and wrap something around the cooling head to retain heat. You'll also have to re-tune the engine for the increase in air pressure (richen). You might also want something to keep the air-filter dry, a soaked air filter doesn't let much air into the engine!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

What I have read-

It is good to use a hair dryer to get the engine preheated prior to starting; Spend about 10 minutes heating the crankcase thoroughly. Rather then wrapping the cooling head, you can buy a 2nd cooling head and tune your engine by removing cooling fins from the head- You can tune the engines heat by allowing it to retain more heat rather then dissipate. Cut off a few fins, take a few runs and check temps; continue until the engine is happily running at its 225-285 range.

Definitely keep spare a-arms and other plastic parts on hand.

You can plastidip the servos to waterproof them. You can put balloons over the receiver, Rx batteries and on/off switch to protect them.

I have seen members stud their tires for ice and snow driving. They buy short little studs from the hw store, and screw them directly into the tire.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
R/C fan-addict

a sock over the head is good but if you have the money buy a cheap cooling head as dale said, also you might want to boil your a arms, bulkheads, shock towers, bumpers, bumper mounts, chassis braces, chassis itself if you are going to jump in the cold, maybe even the body mounts and knuckles since boiling them will make them more flexible so they won't break as easily. For snow you'll want to get paddle tires as they help get a grip on the snow and move the truck foward, for ice you might want to add a little weight and stud the tires or try your skills at drifting! lol
Old 08-31-2006, 06:13 AM
running_gag

I can drift a sedan ok, not sure about a monster truck. it'll probobly be fun to watch. My biggest consern was confirmed though. I'm gonna break a lot more stuff. oh well. as long as it doesn't fall inot a missle silo I can fix it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:11 AM
R/C fan-addict

you might want to upgrade some parts to aluminum since I don't think they are affected negatively by the cold, though I'm not sure...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
trayman

i have a savage and i brought it out last winter completly stock didnt do anything but put a sock over the head and it was so much fun ... drifting down the street - jumping snow banks - and trying to see how far i could make it thru the back yard ... after all winter of bashing my stock steering servo went bad ... to bad i had to replace the crappy stock one lol
Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
ross_jsy

[link]http://www.slapmafro.com[/link]

check out the vids entitled cold( i think) the put snow chains on and they allso went on a frozen lake. next time i go snowboarding im taking my truck down with me
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
teamRevolution
Banned

they sell these little sharp plugs that you push right through the tire on the inside---they help a little---if it is all wet out ---spray your servos with wd 40 hell i spray the whole truck --it prevents water from entering the little gaps in the electrics---
then spray off with denatured alchohol---start your truck in the garage---after you have heated it up with a hair dyrer---
just richen up more than a little on both needles then come in as needed====make a snorkel with some exhoust rubber or flexible tubing that point in a dry spot in the truck where water doesnt typically land----the best thing to do even though it looks ghetto--is to use duct tape-----make wheel wells so water doesnt get spun off the tires and onto the inside---it also warms it up a bit if you close up all wind shield or body holes ---do it
Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
holy moly

I just did three years at Minot AFB. Lemme tell you it gets COLD in the winter. I doubt you'll have much desire to run your R/C or do much of anything outside once December rolls around. I don't think you'll find it worth it to drive your car in the winter there. Working long hours out in the open on the flightline taught me one thing: Frostbite sucks. Working out in the missile fields you'll learn the same thing.
Ditto on everything above about the plastic becoming brittle. Also watch out for the tires. Yes I've seen thin rubber freeze and crack up there. The seals in the dampeners will shrink and the oil leak out. That's if the oil hasn't solidified already. If you do want to brave the sub-zero wind chill i suggest you carry extra batteries close to your body to keep them warm. They won't last very long in the truck.
You won't have to worry about the snow on your car until you bring it inside. Then it'll start to melt and get into the electronics.

P.M. me if you'd like to know more about Minot.

And always remember, "Only the best come north."
Old 09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
running_gag

why not minot? 'Cause it @#$%in' cold. Thats why.