Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

should i buy an electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:20 AM
Digital Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy an electric

hey guys just wondering things and got some questions.

at the moment ive got a cen ct4s nitro rc car, and it not really up and running yet cuz i need a new piston, and the cheapest i could fine for my engine was $72
so the problem really is that i dont really know if its worth buying the piston and sleeve.

i need to know how long does an piston last in a nitro car and how long would an engine last.
also i was looking at an alternative to buy an electric tc3 or tc4 rc car and sell of my cen ct4s, would this be a good choice or should i keep my cen.
also i need to know how long electric motors last
and which rc type (nitro or electric ) will save me money in the long run .

iam am planning to compete in offcial rc races here and also may start to drift .

thx guys

btw while iam here i wish everyone a happy new year!!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Cicada-

Default RE: should i buy an electric

is this your first R/C? if so, i'd say go with electric to learn the basics since it's easier to get up and running...less dirt, less grime, less maintenance for the time being. that's how i went when i started racing cars ~10+ years ago [thought i was out of it for 5 years and recently came back]

for drifting, i'd go electric since that seems to be the most popular format; i think to drift well you'd need to convert your car to be mid-engined for better balance.

another factor to consider is hte most popular racing class in your area -- nitro or electric? that way you have a lot of people to ask when you need help.

as far as money; i think electric is actually a tiny bit more expensive to get started in -- the initial purchase of the car, and all electronics will exceed that of the nitro car, engine, fuel and glowstarter; however, with electric, you never have to keep buying fuel once you've got a couple batteries [fuel can get expensive if you play with your car a lot] -- thoguh, you do eventually have to retire batteries after a while, but if you take good care of them they should last years.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 AM
125cchyperman

As far as how long does an nitro engine last. There are a ton of variables for this. It really depends on how good you take care of it, if you neglect it it may not last past a gallon of fuel. But if you take care of it really good then some have seen 12+ gallon's of fuel through some engine's. I like to say if you take care of the engine, the engine will take care of you.

As for the money if you ant to race they will both cost you money especially if you ant to race competitively. Personally I had a nitro and tried the electric thing because I thought it was going to be cheaper. But believe me it's not they can cost a ton especially if you want a couple of good batteries.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
ry5no2

Nitro constantly bite at your wallet in tiny peices,
Electric eat the whole thingand then wait a year before taking another bite

i dont know if you understand my strange little theory there but, i hope you get my drift (unintended very bad pun)

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ry5no2

I have both and no better.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:38 PM
rc monkey

ORIGINAL: ry5no2

i dont know if you understand my strange little theory there but, i hope you get my drift (unintended very bad pun)

Thanks

Ryan
Thats a very good way of saying it
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
running_gag

if you like to tinker keep the nitro and learn to tune it. how long does a nitro last? if your really racing (every weekend) you'll want to replace it atleast at the begining of the season and half way through if you want to stay on top of the game. electric motors will require turning and new brushes every second or third racing night to stay on top of the game. of course this is all subjective. I race for fun. I replace my piston at the begining of the racing season, and only do the brushes and turning about every 5 or 6 races. all depends. the best thing you can do is go into your LHS on a non racing day when its slow and talk to whoever runs the place. most likely he'll talk your ear off.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Digital Ninja

well i guess ill stick with nitro for a while, ive read articles that say electric rc will end up costing a bit more on the long run. but i could save up money for a an electric lol
thx for the help guys.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 AM
ry5no2

Why thank you i spent a long and hard 3 minutes comjuring that up, lol

Ryan
Old 01-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Nathan9492

Simple answer, NO
Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: running_gag

if you like to tinker keep the nitro and learn to tune it. how long does a nitro last? if your really racing (every weekend) you'll want to replace it atleast at the begining of the season and half way through if you want to stay on top of the game.
I do not know where some get there information but this is not so. Yes sometimes week to week I have to make a minor adjustment and I get at least 7 to 10 gallons out of my engines. Yes I race and those that know what they are doing get at least 2 to 3 race session out of there engines. Now yes if you are a pro diver, which more then likely will get your engines for free, them change them more often.