Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stock Speeds:

Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Limit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Speeds:

I'm just starting to get into the RC scene. Just would like a fast car to goof around with that goes fast stock. I'm not much of a handy man so I'd like to just dip my toes into maintenance and such. My brother just got a truck that he's starting to get into. I'd like to get into more of a car of some sort.

No real plans for racing or anything like that, just something to take to some back roads and parking lots by my house to drive around. I'd like more of a real car than a buggy-type, but either are fine.

Any links to the vehicles, along with price and estimated speed would be great.

Thanks a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Limit
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Default RE: Stock Speeds:

nitro or elecrtic? any preferance?

I hope this helps. Just look around.
http://hobbypeople.net/categories/rc_cars.asp
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-c.html
http://www.hobbytron.com/RCCarsandMore.html
These are all very trusted and popular sites by the way.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Limit

I'd prefer Nitro(my brother has nitro) and you gotta love the sound it makes. Thanks for the links, i'm checking them out right now.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
bte214

Sounds like yo want a nitro tc. Look at the nitro tc3 rtr it is a good basher and racer and the thunder tiger engines are pretty easy to tune. Expect about 65 mph speeds stock.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Limit

I really like the nitro tc3 rtr and also have looked into the Traxxas Jato 3.3 RTR Nitro RC Stadium Truck (http://www.hobbytron.com/TraxxasJato...diumTruck.html). Other than the truck being a little more off-roady, are there any other major differences between the two?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
bte214

IF you are going to do most of your driving on road get the tc3. It is four wheel drive so it will handle like it is on rails compared to the jato. If you want to go off road i'd suggest a GT2 or XXXT as they are the best handling st's. If you want to do a mix of on and off road the jato would be fine.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Digital Ninja

cen ct4s for all out stock speedster , ct5 same thing just has some new things pullys and new belt . though many uses have problems with it, you could set it up good, may prevent things from happening .
just a suggestion.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

no problem.

I prefer nitro too, even though I have some of each.

bte214, are you recomending he gets a stock tc3 then droping in a thundertiger engine? or stock and just mentioning thundertiger engines? Limit, thundertiger engines are good engines but there are many other awsome engines out there with a good value. My recomendation if you ever replace any nitro engines, is O.S., they make great engines. Also, for the price of a tc3 with an upgraded engine, (if money isn't a big issue) I would say go with a traxxas 4-tec 3.3. 70+ mph. Cen racing makes a model called the ct4s that claims 73.4 mph, I'd say the 4-tec over that though, but that's just me. Just remember, you get what you pay for, and also you pay / can pay more for higher quality, speed, ect.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
bte214

No I was suggesting the RTR as it sounds like he has no radio gear and this would be the cheap easy way to get into it. The engine is an associated .15 but i believe (i could be worng) that is is made by thunder tiger. Thunder Tiger owns AE. I would also go with the O.S. recommendation on upgrades as that is all I run but i was talking about the stock rtr engine.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Limit

"I would say go with a traxxas 4-tec 3.3. 70+ mph." I checked it out and liked it a lot. Two concerns:
1.) below is on the Traxxas website. (http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...rx_n4tec33.htm) Should it really be a concern? I have plenty of space available to drive this. Also, if I ordered this product, would I need any other things along with it? Does it come with a radio and such? I live pretty close to a hobby store that carries a good amount of stuff. But would this one need any major components that I should be concerned about getting? Thanks a lot for the help again guys. It's greatly appreciated.

EXTREME POWER FOR EXPERT DRIVERS

Nitro 4-Tec 3.3 is not for everyone. This product is capable of extreme speed and acceleration! It carries our highest skill level rating (5) and is intended for expert drivers only. Experience with nitro-powered radio controlled models is required. The driver must exercise all caution and accept full responsibility for their own safety, and the safety of others nearby. Full-speed operation requires a large running area free of obstacles and closed-off to pedestrian and automobile traffic.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 AM
bte214

You should be able to drive it. You don't go full speed all the time. The traxxas is fast but is not as well designed as the tc3. The tc3 will handle better and it only goes about 5 mph slower. It comes with radio. You just need fuel and support equipment.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 AM
DaveG55

Let me throw out a thought here, and please, nobody take this the wrong way. It's just a observation on my part based on my own experence.
Very fast onroad nitro cars are really pretty much "one trick ponies" if you don't intend to race. Yes, they go very fast right out of the box but they're also very sensitive to drive at those speeds and a wreck at 50+mph on pavement is gonna do some serious damage.

I suggest looking into a Monster Truck. Something like the Revo 3.3. It can be driven on road or in some pretty serious terain. It's pretty fast (although nowhere near as fast as a street car) but they will do sooooo much more.

Again I speak from experence here. My first nitro RC was a street car (many years ago) that went very fast for it's time and once the "WOW" factor wore off it was pretty boring.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
lozzynitro8

hey dis iz lozzy nitro brains i got a fully hopped up eb4 wiv .28 engine goes bout 60 mph but if u r new 2 dis i got it stock at modelzone 4 like £300 wiv a .21 witch propelled it 2 40 mph witch wud b enuff 4 a starter but now its on sale 4 £240 wiv upgrades its the perfect way 2 get in 2 the nitro scene and u can upgrade it as u wish in 2 a monster like mine SO BASICALLY ITS THE CHEAPEST NITRO PRO LEVEL BUGGY 4 YA MONEY FROM THUNDER TIGER PERFECT 4 BEGINNERS BUT GOT STACKS MORE POTENCIAL IF U GOT THE BUCKS DA IZ _ LOZZYNITRO8 C YA
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
pre98zetec
Banned

sorry but there no way in hell a tc3 is going 65mph stock.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pre98zetec

sorry but there no way in hell a tc3 is going 65mph stock.

thank you, i've been waiting for somebody to conferm this since the top of this thread. i had a feeling it was off a great deal.

really, i don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggested cars. you say no plans of racing. if you truely believe this then handling shouldn't be a real issue with your decision. personnally i would hate to be stuck on pavement all the time, but i say if you're really wanting an onroad, get something on the cheap side. that way you don't invest alot into something you may tire from very quickly. i know you don't wan t to have to work alot on this car, but thats half the hobby. my suggestion is take about $150 over to ebay and buy one of those cheap rtr touring cars. give that a whirl and then determine where you want to take the hobby. you may find the need to spend your hard earned cash on a monster truck like suggest earlier. normaly i wouldn't suggest a cheaper car to anyone, but with onroad stuff, they just plain and simply don't get the same abuse and will hold up pretty well as opposed to off road stuff.

just my o2.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 AM
running_gag

ORIGINAL: lozzynitro8

hey dis iz lozzy nitro brains i got a fully hopped up eb4 wiv .28 engine goes bout 60 mph but if u r new 2 dis i got it stock at modelzone 4 like £300 wiv a .21 witch propelled it 2 40 mph witch wud b enuff 4 a starter but now its on sale 4 £240 wiv upgrades its the perfect way 2 get in 2 the nitro scene and u can upgrade it as u wish in 2 a monster like mine SO BASICALLY ITS THE CHEAPEST NITRO PRO LEVEL BUGGY 4 YA MONEY FROM THUNDER TIGER PERFECT 4 BEGINNERS BUT GOT STACKS MORE POTENCIAL IF U GOT THE BUCKS DA IZ _ LOZZYNITRO8 C YA
I'm starting a collection. does anybody have any punctuation or extra letters we can give this guy? He is trying to communicate but I don't think he has the right tools.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
-Inverted-

Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Limit

Well, I've got a decent sized back yard. Right next to my house are 4-5 soccer fields, a couple baseball diamonds, and a lot of parking lot and unused roads. I'm thinking an onroad car or something that can go fast on well kept grass more than dirt trails/jumps, etc... Thanks a lot for your opinions though. I can see how going fast, turning around, then going fast again can get old pretty quick. More opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
DaveG55

On road cars are pretty much going to be limited to pavement situations. Even on grass short enough for them to run (think golf green short) the traction is going to suck. If you try to run an on road car in grass as short as 2" even you're going to be very frustrated. A buggy or stadium truck would be fun too but, IMO, a 4 wheel drive MT is the most versitile.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
running_gag

I own two off roads and two on roads. the only bashing I do with the onraods is drifting. the rest of the time its either practicing or racing. the offroads I bash all the time. I really think you would be happier with of road.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Limit

Well, my brother(we live in the same house) has a XXX-NT Sport RTR II. So he already has a truck that I'd get to use at least a little bit once the snow clears. So I'm debating to get a truck like his(which worked fine for the little time we got to use it before snowfall) to race with one another, or an on road car to have something different. Once the snow clears I'm going to go into the parking lots to make sure there aren't many dips or anything. How big of dips can a car with low clearance take?

Some other questions that could use some quick answering:

What do you guys do when snow is on the ground. Do you still run it once a week?

What about Buggies on grass?

Another post talks about after run oil. Which would you recommend and how much/where.

Thanks again guys. More than anything help me solve the vehicle dilema. I can always search the bottom 3 questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Limit
Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
pre98zetec
Banned

I run my 2.5 Rustler in any weather.. it's a blast in the snow! Hell even one in a while i'll break the RS4 out if the snow is packed.

Buggys will go through grass, tall grass, snow... anything

Afterrun- i use it after every run. I didnt for a week and had a ton of rust in a motor (and some people still say it doesn't work

If you want fun, mixed with speed and handling.. get a buggy. Honestly, I've never had as much fun with either of my cars then I did with my friends Ofna MBX buggy.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
bte214

You need to think about what you want and get that. We can suggest all we want on here but hey, we're not the ones buying it. ARO is like 3 dollars insurance. I run it and that is all I'm going to say to avoid another "should i use ARO threads". You can read all the reasoning here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5240773/tm.htm And about your how smooth for an onroad question. IT should be flat. these things only have little tires so at high speed it'll flip.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 PM
running_gag

dips and such like you would find in a paved parking lot are not going to bother you too much. its tha pot holes that will kill you. my suggestion is an offroad nitro. my reasoning is, thats what your brother has. you guys are going to be out running together and your going to want to go where he goes, and you can't. And when your battery runs out you'll have to charge it while he is still running. also, out of the box, the nitro will be faster than the electric and that will bug the hell out of you. unless you have a decent budget for brushless. I have to applaud your initiative in researching and asking questions. About what is your budget anyway? if you really want to blow him away look at 1/8 buggies.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 PM
vr6vdub

Here's my two cents...I'm new to the hobby and I purchased a Jato 3.3. It has been quite enjoyable for me both on road and off. It definitely has WAY to much power for its size (but it's more fun that way) but it rides great in all situations. It's a perfect compromise for suburban bashing where there may be long roads but also a lot of dirt and grass. On road cars for me would get boring unless I was racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.