Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

spit/ water test

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Digital Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spit/ water test

just wondering if the water drop on to cooling test thing is really usefull, or is it some myth thats going around, at the moment if i drop some water on to my cooling head, it like disappears in about 3 secs
or should i get a temp gun ?

thx
Old 01-19-2007, 07:33 PM
R/C fan-addict

Default RE: spit/ water test

just get a temp guage. I suggest you get an on board temp gauge as it tells you the current and highest temp not just the current temp as temp guns do. Also temp guns can sometimes detect only the engine cooling head not the engine block itself, giving you a false reading. Also temp guns are more expensive at about $25 average, and on board temp gauges at $18 average.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Digital Ninja

oh so there is a differance between them, maybe ill get the venom temp monitor, but those smart temps could become annoying since it controls your servo, thx for the info
Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: Digital Ninja

oh so there is a differance between them, maybe ill get the venom temp monitor, but those smart temps could become annoying since it controls your servo, thx for the info
naw I think the smart temp is a good idea, because it prevents your engine from overheating and is also a 2 in 1 device so if you don't have a failsafe already you have a failsafe built in. It only takes control of your servo if radio signal is lost, the receiver battery dies, or the motor overheats. In all of those cases I think you'd be glad when it takes control!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 PM
DaveG55

The spit test is a valid test. When I started in nitro that's all there was to check engine temps. 3 seconds is too fast. You want closer to 4-5 seconds.
That being said, get a temp gun. I prefer a handheld one because I can use it on several vehicles and it's plenty accurate for tuning. Before you spring for a smart temp do a search, they've been known to have problems.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Digital Ninja

hmmm ahh yea temp guns can easily check temps without the hassle of putting the unit back in and out of different cars, better check with my hobby shop for prices and ask them for advice
Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Dudelive

I would continue to ask around at places like here, as then you will get rreal information and not info that a lhs gives in order to sell something and make more money. I am not saying that the lhs will be untrue but money is money, talk to the racers themselves and NOT the sellers. Just my opinion