Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My new CUSTOM SUPER INTAKE!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM
The Hybrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new CUSTOM SUPER INTAKE!!!

Check this out my fellow RS4 drivers...Just custom made this today...Produced alot of power and really helped with the off the line take off....I'm sure all you RS4 guys know what Im talking about with the work up the RPMs slow take off ...lol Well thats basicaly gone for me...lol Check it out and LMK what yall think...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79585.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	623936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63499.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	623937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33436.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	623938  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 AM
SFC K

Default RE: My new CUSTOM SUPER INTAKE!!!

Looks really nice, Do you have a better picture and what parts did you use?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
The Hybrid

Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Its a Hybrid production secret....lol
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
jonsmilez

lol, bro it looks exactly likt K&N 1... u need 2 get a better camera or something... i still dont belive..
Old 02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks just like a K&N filter which by the way may look cool but doesnt protect your engine well at all
Old 02-18-2007, 03:05 PM
iexion

yo hybrid, another good idea is to take of those stupid exhaust headers. this will also get the exhaust moving out better then those flat headers. the tube kind from hpi are like 14 bucks.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
The Hybrid

Well whatever I like it and it produced noticable power....so...whatever....
Old 02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
hpi apollo

im not tryin to make you or your idea sound stupid but the difference was probably very subtle and coudd have just been caused by a bit more air entering therefore leaning it out, also it could have just been in your head like all the supercharger stuff you hear about
Old 02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
jonsmilez

**** man! [:@] hpi apollo, i see u help alotta people. but u got ur 2 cents 4 everything! like bro.. he made his own air filter.. let him be proud.. he obvuiously doesnt want u 2 put him down.. liek ****... ok saying that it may not be as good as a foam filter is helpful.... but saying its stupid and this **** and that ****.. liek bro.. ***... u didnt even know u can adjust ur when ur 1st gear changes 2 2nd from under the chasis! ur not a genius! wow... am i the only what that thinks this? like bro theres a time 2 help and a ime 2 be rude! he didnt do anything against u!... so y u gotta always say no offence but ur stupid (in such a nice way [sm=75_75.gif] ) and u say it 2 EVERYBODY!....

...... lyndsay i like it! looks nice.... and be proud!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 AM
hpi apollo

jonsmilez, chill dude, i wasnt putting his idea down, yes it looks cool, all the K&N filters look awesome, i would even have one if they filtered better, making your own air filter intake is fine, i was just pointing out that the K&N breather filters do not filter out tiny particles that cause the most wear in nitro's, and that the performance increase could actually be causing damage by running lean, and about the first gear thing, i just didnt think about it, last time i saw my rs4 it had tape over the hole so rocks didnt get in, it was a simple mistake and im glad you pointed it out before, i say no offense alot because alot of people take offense when somebody tell them something
Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 AM
HeLLsGoD

Alot of people think thats a funky mod to do, looks cool i agree

I'll stick my real scale K&N filter in . Ive seen a few people do this airfilter mod, its pretty cool. Cant really say much about its filtering capabilities unless its the original K&N product. It works for my 1:1 car so why not. Maybe you can jam oiled foam inside the filter itself. I wouldnt mind one for novelty.

Heres the REAL ones that people use but you can retrofit it to r/c's aslong as you have the adapter/tubing to do it [link]http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm[/link]. These are used for real car engines like quad throttle engines and they are as sensitive to dust as nitro engines. I can guarantee you real K&N's filtering Quality. I just hope it makes that cool sucking noise

I had tape on the 2speed chassis holes till i replaced it with double mesh flyscreen. Now i have to use that little hole on the 2speed cover.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:59 AM
The Hybrid

I think its cool and I HAVE noticed alot better off the line power from it and it's not "in my head".........thanks Jon for sayin that stuff that was cool of you....Apollo I know you wasnt trying to be rude but you need to learn to say your thoughts in alittle bit nicer way, but no worrys thow bro we're cool....
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 AM
hpi apollo

im not trying to make you sound stupid but its the same concept with the superchargers, people think it makes their engines alot mroe powerful when it really doesnt, its all in their head, your mod, the power gain comes from running slightly leaner ebcause you get more air
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
jonsmilez

i dunno apollo, sorry if a cusssed @ u.. but bro.. liek cmon!... be real here man.. dont down a guys ideas and say its stupid.. just say its nice, here are the negatives side jsut incase u didnt know... and thats it.. its liek the way u phrase it makes it sound rude!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
ehroof

not trying to start trouble but hpi apollo is right, a nitro sits on the ground much lower than a car and throws dust and dirt around alot more than a full size automobile. you would be ok if you could put a oiled filter inside the k&n filter. I acutally broke a connection rod when i changed my stock air filter to a motor saver air filter because it was running soo much leaner. i was really impressed when i saw how much faster it was when i changed the filter, but when i blew the connection rod i realized why. It wasnt that bad since i swapped the .15te for an os .18 cvrx
Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
HeLLsGoD

ill give you a tip for filters making it running lean: THEY MADE THE TUNING NEEDLES FOR A REASON. USE IT.

If too much air is comming in? set the idle or richen the mixture geez. The needles are also there to compensate. You could have broke a conrod for many reasons

And as for the filtering capabilities:
[link]http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#10[/link]

Thats a 97-99% overall efficiency rating using dust from 176 microns to <5.5 . Keep in mind no filter is 100%. I know the normal foam filters are cheap and efficient but dont say these filters are no good.

Enough said. Back to work for me.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
hpi apollo

there ahve been numerous arguments about the K&N filters and their effectiveness, K&N on normal cars work superbly, but for rc's, they typically dont catch the small stuff that gets in between the parts, sure they catch alot but not enough of the small stuff, and the oiled foam filters catch they better because they use tacky oil while the air flows through a maze of little tunnels
Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM
HeLLsGoD

Sometimes i dont even know why i bother...

<5.5 microns is a particle size as thin as talcum powder and the filter passed and exceeded the automotive design standards. Most car and r/c air filter oil is the same thickness/viscosity dude they both do the same job by making dust stick easier Thats why you can use marvels mystery oil for both CAR filters and r/c's. Did you think K&N filters used wd40 as filter oil? lol

So many sceptics...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
fuzion18ss

a bit more air means you need a bit more fuel (assuming ideal mixtueres)
a bit more fuel means more chemical engry meaning more power

Were there performance gains...quite possibly, but engine longevity means more to me than .05 hp.

Keep tinkering away...good thing will eventually come (hopefully no catistrophic failures first)
Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
The Hybrid

I swear it gained more power cause I raced my friends E-Maxx and he beat me off the line still but not as bad and this time I actually beat him in a race last time I lost a race and was killed off the line and I was useing my stock air filter....So....IDK I noticed a power increase.....But Whatever...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
jonsmilez

yo! i didnt say hpi apollo was wrong! but i said the way he phrases things is rude! and thats it! and he knows it... and so does eveyrbody else... but wtvr bro... im jsut having my buddys back...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 PM
hpi apollo

yes i know that 5.5 microns is pretty small, even though the oils may be the same viscosity, foam filters can still catch more simply because to go through foam, the air must turn constantly throuh little bubble chambers and will eventually stick to the walls, get some super tacky motorcycle air filter oil, it works awesome, i know K&N uses a special oil that i think is called tack oil, i have seen ti advertised as such
Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
HeLLsGoD

ill agree with you there but it was unfair when you said "it doesnt protect your engine at all". The difference isnt that drastic so i wouldnt be alarmed. I myself use a 2 stage foam filter because its alot easier to clean. I just have to take out the outer filter and wash that.

Hybrid open up your backplate after a gallon or two with that air filter and tell us if there are any dust or foreign particle deposits in the crank or if your engine fails before then. So at least we have proof if the filter does or doesnt do its job
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
hpi apollo

when did i say they dont protect at all, i said they dont filter out most small particles very well, they do protect though, even if there are no scratches or deposits in the engine that doesnt mean dirt doesnt get in there, i had my air filter pop off one day and had grass clippings get sucked through my engine, i took it apart and there wasnt a single scratch
Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
HeLLsGoD

Here ya go:

looks just like a K&N filter which by the way may look cool but doesnt protect your engine well at all
if there are no scratches or deposits in the engine that doesnt mean dirt doesnt get in there
then why should we worry about dirt at all if it all it does is go in and go out and doesnt scratch the moving parts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.