Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Top Fuel Vs. Byron RACE fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
NMeyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Fuel Vs. Byron RACE fuel?

I have been running top fuel for a while and decided to ask tis guy at the hobby shop which fuel he reccomends. He gave be this bottle of 20% Byron RACE and I used a tank of it. My redcat hurricane now wheelies a liitle and heats up faster. When i knelt down to refuel i was just about blinded from the extremely noxious fumes even though it was at idle and my head was 3 feet over the car. So my questions are... Could the performance rating of the to fuels be so far appart even though they are both 20%? Or does this added power with the addition of higher toxidity mean that it was mismarked as 20% when its really 30%? Compared to the Byron the topfuels exhaust is like smelling flowers! Any Ideas?

-Nick Meyer
Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 AM
kingtuts
Banned

Default RE: Top Fuel Vs. Byron RACE fuel?

u are experiencing the quality of byrons. it is one of the best fuels to be dealin with. ull notice differences from the ****ty traxxas top fuel
Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 AM
2916jr

is it byron 3000 or 2000 I run 3000 in my buggy
Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 AM
NMeyer

It's Byron 2000.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
whoajoe

Byron is a fuel specifically formulated for high performance applications, so it probably does give your car more power, even if it is still 20%.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Philster

The oils and the am'ts are making the difference. Top Fuel is heavy on oil (16-18%) and uses alot of castor oil I believe. Oil robs power.

Byrons uses synthetic as the main lube and probably not even 10%.

You should slightly richen the engine as long as performance remains strong, just to ensure you have enough lube (because after all, you are sending less oil into the engine now).
Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
jmcn R

Not necissarily relating to these two fuels...but you also have to remember how a fuel is stored will have a massive impact on its performance and the overall reliability/tuneability of your motor.

The other thing to remember as most people will tell you, is that despite the figures on the bottle..... not all of these fuels are equal (although many of the fuels come from the same source and are just rebranded). That is why many people are very picky on what fuel they will use and will stick to that one fuel for years.

I used Byrons many years ago from a source as it was the only fuel I could get my hands on at the time. I couldn't stand it, my engine ran hot and was inconsistent on the needles. Ran the same Byrons 2000 for a bit (only one gallon on vacation) a couple years later from a different source and it was perfect! Night and day differences!