Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Over revving an engine

Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over revving an engine

How do you know if your over revving an engine? Play it by ear? Obviously you don't want to rev the piss out of a nitro engine while there is no load, but when I'm going WOT with my buggy, I want to make sure I'm not going overboard. How can I be cautious to this? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
irockdude

Default RE: Over revving an engine

What does "WOT" mean...? And why whould you drive it with out a load? and yes, i think over reving does hurt your nitro. it causes pre-mature wear on the parts, so then they will wear down faster and you end up haveing to buy more parts sooner.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Hordsak

Sorry, WOT is Wide Open Throttle (I'm a 1:1 car gearhead, sorry for the jargon) I won't rev it with no load, but I'm just curious. I just don't want any grenades.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Nick2618

They say you should not run WOT for extended periods of time in most manuals i have looked through. I take that has meaning do not run top speed constantly.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 PM
nitro fanatic

you should be hearing just a crisp clean rev just play it by ear if its not overheating it shouldnt be overreving
Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: nitro fanatic

you should be hearing just a crisp clean rev just play it by ear if its not overheating it shouldnt be overreving
Exsalty... If you don't know how it should sound then just watch the temps and even more importantly make sure there is a thin trail of blue/gray some coming out of the stinger.

You can rev the engine when there is no load... But don't do this for long periods of time.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM
savagecommander

ahh a fellow gearhead. if you ever had your cruise control diaphram stick wide open you know what ANY engine sounds like over revved. i have the same issue with a buggy, the trans was not shifting into second. i watch for power, and when i see it drop off, so does the throttle. if you stick it on some dirt it can give you a better feel. also IMO the engine gets a weak, kind of quiet exh note.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:30 PM
SManMTB

When racing boats I pretty much ran WOT for 30 mins straight only letting off the gas one on the straight.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
s7jstep1

i dont like to keep my engine at wot for more than about 5-7 seconds.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

When racing boats I pretty much ran WOT for 30 mins straight only letting off the gas one on the straight.
This illustrates a good point. Going wide open isn't a bad thing, as long as there is a load. Boats, planes, and cars will always have a load on the engine when running as it's meant to be. For a car, it's usually fine as long as the wheels are on the ground. Now the only thing you really shouldn't do is long wide open runs down the street. Running on pavement has very little resistence and it is easy to over rev the engine. This is especially true with offroad vehicles because of the lower gear ratios. They top out very quickly, and continuing to run after that can be hazardous to the engine. It will accelerate wear but the biggest problem is the possiblity of tweaking the rod, stretching the lower end, or I've also seen bearings fail due to high speed running.

So really, if you are going to do speed runs on the street, simply let off once you hit top speed.