Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

building a mini-t trak!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:15 AM
jymellis
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a mini-t trak!!!!!!

so i removed the grass from a section of my yard! my question is, whats a good top layer of dirt (type of dirt) that will pack nicely? the dirt that was under my grass is really loose ! whats a good dirt to use and what is the most efficient way to get it to pack nicely?

jym
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: building a mini-t trak!!!!!!

clay!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
jymellis

thanx!! ive never worked with clay! is there any special techniques needed? how do you spread it if it one big pile?

jym
Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

We have plenty of clay in Georgia RED CLAY. Clay is basically nothing but dirt but it hardens up better then topsoil. Did you try taking the topsoil off and see what is under it?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
jymellis

just more dirt and when you go really deep its alot of rock! i live in cinci ohio so im not sure if that kinda sediment is normal (rock) but that just so happens to be whats deeper under my dirt!

jym
Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
evan14221

i need ideas on a similar track on where to get good, fine, dirt for free or cheap
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Southern Cross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grab a phonebook or look online for delaers of sand, gravel, rock, pebbles...the type of stuff you see landscapers use. There are a bunch where I live in Baltimore, MD. Anyway...most if not all will let you take a pickup truck load full of sand or dirt (filled with clay) at no charge as long as the only equipment you use is a one man and a shovel. I don't know if all will let you do that...but I've been to three of them around here and its the same deal. They won't let you load up with anything expensive...and you can't go making multiple trips or anything. I put in a pond years ago and loaded up with sand and dirt from them. It might be the area I live in but the dirt is full of what I assume is clay...packs nice and hard. You can usually tell if a place will let you haul some away if they have big piles of it outside when you pull up. The three places I went to had them piled up in a big area. Piles of different types of soil, dirt, sand, pebbles of all colors...pretty much anything like that. They only let me take the sand or dirt...no free slate. Another good source of clay is a quary. Did I spell that right. I've greabbed clay from them many times.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM
wolfgang123

Go GA CLAY!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
calvino

i would have to agree with clay, i had to (rly dig) to get it in our backyard, but it compacts soo nicely, it is amazing. you GA... guys have it easy