Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 05:24 AM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

Originally posted by hoodiegadoo
Gearing does have something to do with top speed vs. acceleration but I would have to argue this last point. The Rustler doesn't sacrifice any acceleration to get to the low 50's. I had enough trouble trying to get the back tires to stick and not wheelie over everytime you hit the gas. I added about 2 pounds to the truck. and yet it will still wheelie on a full throttle punch no matter where in the rpm's you are (with exception to WOT obviously). The handling can be pefected as well it just takes the know how to get it where it needs to be......In the future if you guys have never driven or owned the trucks then don't make coments as if they are fact. Like the rustler could never handle like a gt or a losi.....One thing I have learned in this hobby is that you never say never about anything....Look at some of the crap 3maxxman is putting together...
I'd be willing to bet an RC 10 or XXX-NT would outaccelerate a Rusty from a dead stop to about 30 mph. That has nothing to do with power and everything to do with gearing.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:28 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

I'd have to agree with grampi, and i HIGHLY doubt you can get your rusty to handle like the xxxnt or the rc10gt, they are just inferiorly designed.. the chassis that is..
Old 04-06-2003, 11:25 AM
hoodiegadoo

well...I have all of them and I'm telling you they don't......however I think i'm done arguing this concept because one of the folks i'm arguing with doesn't own any of the trucks we're talking about. Talk to crash about it when he gets his rustler going...
Old 04-06-2003, 03:06 PM
grampi

I'll tell you right now I don't have a rusty, haven't even seen one run. I'm guessing you haven't seen an RC 10 with a Fantom run either. Guess that makes us even. But I can tell you I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff, and when we're talking about power vs top speed vs acceleration I can tell you there isn't any magic involved here, it's all physics.

The rusty and RC 10 are both 1/10 scale st's, at roughly the same weight. The 2.5 makes 1.33 hp, the Fantom makes 1.35 hp. It's common sense that if the rusty has a top speed of 52 mph, and the rc 10's top speed is 40 mph, the rc 10 will accelerate quicker than the rusty. There is no magic potion available to make a vehicle have a higher top speed without sacrificing some of it's acceleration. If a person is willing to give up some of that acceleration, you can get the higher top speed with taller gearing. It isn't physically possible for a vehicle with the same weight and hp of another to accelerate as quick when the other vehicle has lower gearing. It's all about gearing, not magic.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Fast Guy

HP figures are not a good way to compare an engines performance. The TRX 2.5 could indeed have tire spinning, wheelie popping power low end power and still a high top speed if it has more low end torque than another engine with the same HP output. The TRX 2.5 has a longer stroke than most engines and it has an even longer con rod than normal. The longer the stroke and rod the more torque the engine will likely produce. Everyone that has tested the TRX 2.5 has been more than impressed, have called it a world class (as good as any .15) engine and wish the same engine was available in a .12 to use in ROAR sanctioned events by the pro's.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:06 PM
grampi

All I'm saying is there isn't going to be huge differences in performance between these two engines. Both are very similar and will perform simirlarly in like vehicles. That said, you're not going to get a tremendous amount of top speed from either vehicle without giving up some acceleration. It's a simple law of physics, and bottom end torque or not, the rusty, and all vehicles for that matter, are still subjected to these laws.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:40 PM
SelfMadePlanes

Default RUSTLER SICK AIR

I just made SICK air with my rustler! There is a construction site in my city and thats a place for jumps!!!!!
There was this 1 metre dirt wall infront of me, so i immediatelly think JUMP. There was bout 40 metres straight before the pile, so i went there. I tuned the car and throttled full. That little beast ripped off the wall like a bird! About 2 metres into the air and back on the ground, alltough it dint even once land on its belly : )
It always twisted to its roof. Naturally i busted some parts...
But one is for sure, it TURNS bad. When at max, it turns 360 in bout 2 metres diameter.....................
Generally, this car is FUN. If u got it, go jump.
Just one thing, its FAST.....fast as hell!
Old 04-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Having not owned but watched a Nitro Rustler at the track it's not as bad as most people would have you believe. Is it a brick? No. Does it handle as well as a RC10GT or a Losi? Maybe, maybe not. The guy that does own it though can get around the track as fast if not faster than anybody else there. The track is tight and technical.

I will also say that the Rustler doesn't give up much if anything in acceleration to get it's top speed. For the most part I would say it has too much acceleration for the shorter track that I run on.

As far as engines and power goes there is a lot more to it than just sheer numbers. The Fantom makes 1.35hp and the 2.5 1.33hp. What does matter is how the power is made.

Lets say you have two engines both make 1.3 hp and both have a top end rpm of 38,000 rpm. Engine X generates 1 hp by 6,000 rpm and Engine Y makes 1 hp at 15,000 rpm. Which engine would you rather have for an off road truck? Engine X is going to accelerate much stronger and still have the top end compared to engine Y. You can still have acceleration and top end with out messing with gearing if the engine is designed correctly.

I have seen the power curve for the 2.5 in the magazines and it's a very nice broad power-band. I haven't seen the power band for the Fantom so it's hard to say how it would compare to the 2.5. After reading the posts here it sounds like it has a good power band.

Personally I wouldn't pass by a Nitro Rustler if given the opportunity to own one. I do however like my RC10GT a lot as well.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:34 PM
FUZZ

Yeah,....... I have a XXXnt with a Trinity Picco .15 and The power is very, very close to that of my friends Rustler's 2.5. Now from a dead stop to, "my estimate" appx 30mph, my XXXnt smokes his Rustler but at around 40 mph he begins to pass me. My opinion is that its now just down to gearing. His top end speed is higher than mine but we still hang close to each other because as he gets up to top speed we go into a turn and I then again pull ahead,..... I have talked to several people and they all say that the Rustler can be made to handle alot better than it is in pure stock.

Thanks,
FUZZ
Old 04-06-2003, 10:51 PM
hoodiegadoo

Originally posted by grampi
I'll tell you right now I don't have a rusty, haven't even seen one run. I'm guessing you haven't seen an RC 10 with a Fantom run either. Guess that makes us even. But I can tell you I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff, and when we're talking about power vs top speed vs acceleration I can tell you there isn't any magic involved here, it's all physics.

The rusty and RC 10 are both 1/10 scale st's, at roughly the same weight. The 2.5 makes 1.33 hp, the Fantom makes 1.35 hp. It's common sense that if the rusty has a top speed of 52 mph, and the rc 10's top speed is 40 mph, the rc 10 will accelerate quicker than the rusty. There is no magic potion available to make a vehicle have a higher top speed without sacrificing some of it's acceleration. If a person is willing to give up some of that acceleration, you can get the higher top speed with taller gearing. It isn't physically possible for a vehicle with the same weight and hp of another to accelerate as quick when the other vehicle has lower gearing. It's all about gearing, not magic.
Grampi...I wasn't referring to you at all when I made that comment. I was also referring to the stock engine in a gt not your fantom powered engine....I haven't seen a dyno test for the fantom yet so actual torque and horsepower can still be questioned however I have seen that engine and it is very powerful.....So in your situation I would agree with the gearing because with two engines fairly close in power and torque alot of it would be the gearing. However I think if you geared the rustler any higher you would just spin the tires and if they finally caught you might just flip over. Also what a engine is dynoed at and what the companies clamed horsepower is are almost ALWAYS different numbers (I don't think I've seen a company that claims less or equal horsepower to what the engine is dynoed at) Thats not to say that the fantom isn't a very powerful machine but you never know true numbers untill they test it out......So to finish all this up I do have the gt but not a fantom engine. Next time I'm in your area we'll have to race sometime....
Old 04-06-2003, 10:55 PM
hoodiegadoo

Another thing.....
Wookie-
One thing you'll see from hanging around the track is that a good driver can make ANY car....look really good.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:03 PM
grampi

Hoodie

I can tell you my RC 10 with a Fantom is a lot quicker and faster than it was with the factory engine and gearing. I mean a lot. This thing will be running along at full throttle and it will walk into a wheelie and flip at over 40 mph. Part of it is gearing, but most of it is the extra grunt and rpm's of the Fantom.

I haven't seen an actual test of a Fantom engine, but I've talked pretty extensively with Jason at Fantom and I can tell you the ratings they give their engines are very conservative. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fantom actually makes more than what it's rated at.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:07 PM
hoodiegadoo

Originally posted by grampi
Hoodie

I can tell you my RC 10 with a Fantom is a lot quicker and faster than it was with the factory engine and gearing. I mean a lot. This thing will be running along at full throttle and it will walk into a wheelie and flip at over 40 mph. Part of it is gearing, but most of it is the extra grunt and rpm's of the Fantom.

I haven't seen an actual test of a Fantom engine, but I've talked pretty extensively with Jason at Fantom and I can tell you the ratings they give their engines are very conservative. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fantom actually makes more than what it's rated at.
Thats good to know....and I'm sure its ALOT more powerful then the stock engine cus that thing is a joke....Hopefully they do rate their engines conservative cus i'm getting the .12 for a couple of my trucks i think.