Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

Old 04-05-2003, 05:55 AM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Rustler does 52 mph right out of the box!

That's according to a test in one of the new mags. That's insane! And I thought I was ready to take on CMO with his Rusty. I don't think my RC 10 is there yet. Still working on it though.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:09 AM
jbjustin33415

Yeah, that is a bit fast. If those readings are right, it can keep up with my nitro sedan. Now thats scary. I cant even control my sedan at that speed, now think about trying to steer a ST. Can you say ROLLOVER.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:24 AM
grampi

What kind of vehicle do you have? They're aren't to many vehicles that'll run those kind of speeds. Not stock anyway. I've been modding my RC 10 for a few months now, and I still don't have it running those kinds of speeds.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:25 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Yah the Rustler has HORRIBLe handling, but my god the speed on that thing is amazing.. 260$ or so for a 50+ mph car.. they only advertise it to go 47mph on the box (i think) and if its going that much faster, dang... that'd sure make for some fun jumping though if you put some better shocks on that puppy.

kinda makes me wanna go nitro though saying i dont race... Wonder how it does in grass.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:34 AM
grampi

I've heard you can improve the handling. You certainly don't need to spend any money to make it faster.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:37 AM
caseyddr

nah some guy was talking bout how much he spent on the rustler to try and improve handling and it just didnt work, the chassis is ill-designed, kinda like the evaders in electric
Old 04-05-2003, 06:39 AM
grampi

Someone in this forum said they were able to improve the handling of their rusty considerably.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:48 AM
caseyddr

you can improve it, but it still wont compete with the Losi or RC10GT. just ill designed like i said. He spent 2x as much as he did buying his RC10GT with everything :-/ IF i got it it'd be jus for throwin around a freshly mowed back yard. Theres alot of construction goin on around here too i could ride in.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:50 AM
grampi

Yeah, it'll never handle like an RC 10 or Losi, but for bashing it would be great.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:53 AM
caseyddr

Man! i need to quit talking like this so I can buy my hop ups for my emaxx instead of a rustler Quit talking to me grampi your a bad influence! haha
Old 04-05-2003, 07:40 AM
zeke79

MY friend has a 2.5 rustler and it is faaaaassssttt without a doubt. for bashing around and not racing it is a great buy. I personally would say its as durable as the rc10 for bashing because i have broken more parts than him and even with my fantom .15 i dont think i would risk a top speed challenge although it is slower off the line.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Brodie Sinn

a brick is a brick
Old 04-05-2003, 07:54 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by zeke79
MY friend has a 2.5 rustler and it is faaaaassssttt without a doubt. for bashing around and not racing it is a great buy. I personally would say its as durable as the rc10 for bashing because i have broken more parts than him and even with my fantom .15 i dont think i would risk a top speed challenge although it is slower off the line.
heh fantoms have nothing against the 2.5 engine traxxas made.. it is probably one of the most reliable .15's on the market for the price range IMO.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:56 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

i liek the nitro rustler i think its a great truck for what it is.
its a fast inexpensive tough truck.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by packfan88
i liek the nitro rustler i think its a great truck for what it is.
its a fast inexpensive tough truck.
couldn't have been said any better. Probably one of the best bashers available.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:15 PM
jeeptuff

Originally posted by grampi
I've heard you can improve the handling. You certainly don't need to spend any money to make it faster.
HAHA Grampi, they are never fast enough.. You and your GT, what is your goal speed now??? 60
Old 04-05-2003, 05:08 PM
grampi

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
heh fantoms have nothing against the 2.5 engine traxxas made.. it is probably one of the most reliable .15's on the market for the price range IMO.
Sometimes your statements are just too general, and sometimes they're just plain wrong. The Fantoms have nothing against the 2.5? What does that mean? Engines don't get any more reliable than the Fantom. Mine always starts, runs hard , and it never fusses. As far as power goes, I know the Fantom makes every bit as much as the 2.5, so I would say the Fantoms DO have something against the 2.5's.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:09 PM
grampi

Originally posted by jeeptuff
HAHA Grampi, they are never fast enough.. You and your GT, what is your goal speed now??? 60
Nope still going for 50. I'm not there yet.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:24 PM
caseyddr

Sometimes your statements are just too general, and sometimes they're just plain wrong. The Fantoms have nothing against the 2.5? What does that mean? Engines don't get any more reliable than the Fantom. Mine always starts, runs hard , and it never fusses. As far as power goes, I know the Fantom makes every bit as much as the 2.5, so I would say the Fantoms DO have something against the 2.5's.
In MY opinion there is no reason to buy a fantom when you have a 2.5 in your vehicle. they are very reliable engines (as you will find out in you tmaxx) with alot of power and speed that will satisfy just about any driver. I myself wouldnt want to spend another 150$ on an engine that is going to perform the same if nto worse than the one I am replacing. Traxxas hit the nail on the head with the TRX 2.5
Old 04-05-2003, 10:34 PM
grampi

zeke79 said he wouldn't risk a top end challange against his friend's Rustler. You replied by saying the Fantom has nothing against the 2.5. I sounded to me like you were saying it's useless for someone who has a Fantom powered vehicle to challange someone's else's Rusty. I'm saying which ever vehicle has the highest top speed has the highest gearing. It has nothing to do with a difference in power between the two engines. I could gear my RC 10 to go 70 mph if I wanted to, but I'd lose a lot of acceleration. Traxxas has chosen to give up some acceleration in order to reach a higher top speed. A Fantom powered RC 10 could easily challange a Rusty, it's all about gearing.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:16 AM
caseyddr

u dont get what i mean though, im not against the fantom, I'm just saying if you have a 2.5 engine there is no reason to get a fantom, the difference wont be noticable at all. and if is it'd be a tiny ammount and not worth the price tag.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:25 AM
hoodiegadoo

you can improve it, but it still wont compete with the Losi or RC10GT. just ill designed like i said. He spent 2x as much as he did buying his RC10GT with everything :-/ IF i got it it'd be jus for throwin around a freshly mowed back yard. Theres alot of construction goin on around here too i could ride in.
Just because one person said it couldn't be done doesn't mean that it can't....I would say after....50-60 bones I can get it to stick to a nt like white on rice....
Old 04-06-2003, 02:35 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by hoodiegadoo
Just because one person said it couldn't be done doesn't mean that it can't....I would say after....50-60 bones I can get it to stick to a nt like white on rice....
stick, but can you beat it
Old 04-06-2003, 02:36 AM
hoodiegadoo

I'm saying which ever vehicle has the highest top speed has the highest gearing. It has nothing to do with a difference in power between the two engines. I could gear my RC 10 to go 70 mph if I wanted to, but I'd lose a lot of acceleration. Traxxas has chosen to give up some acceleration in order to reach a higher top speed. A Fantom powered RC 10 could easily challange a Rusty, it's all about gearing. [/B]
Gearing does have something to do with top speed vs. acceleration but I would have to argue this last point. The Rustler doesn't sacrifice any acceleration to get to the low 50's. I had enough trouble trying to get the back tires to stick and not wheelie over everytime you hit the gas. I added about 2 pounds to the truck. and yet it will still wheelie on a full throttle punch no matter where in the rpm's you are (with exception to WOT obviously). The handling can be pefected as well it just takes the know how to get it where it needs to be......In the future if you guys have never driven or owned the trucks then don't make coments as if they are fact. Like the rustler could never handle like a gt or a losi.....One thing I have learned in this hobby is that you never say never about anything....Look at some of the crap 3maxxman is putting together...
Old 04-06-2003, 02:59 AM
hoodiegadoo

stick, but can you beat it
considering i've now got the rustlers handling equal to a nt then the only thing left is speed....and in that department it doesn't look good for the losi........however, I have also learned that the driver has almost everything to do with how the car performs on a track. A good driver can beat anybody with anything. So arguing which is better is kinda mute. It depends on which company, truck setup, part availability, or what kind of tuning you prefer (speed or handling) that would make your decision on what you really want when it comes to a certain division or class, such as the 1/10 scale trucks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.