Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI E-Savage or Traxxas E-maxx

Old 12-31-2007, 04:37 AM
9five9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI E-Savage or Traxxas E-maxx

I got a stampede, but I think I want a good electric 4x4. I don't really care about money, I know the trucks are relatively close in price and upgrades are in the same ball park. I got friends with the E-maxx and I'm always hearing things and reading articles on that truck, but I never driven or even seen an E-savage up close. I don't ever seem to find much for articles on it either, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm kind of leaning toward the E-savage, but I still don't know. who has driven one? or knows a lot about it?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HPI E-Savage or Traxxas E-maxx

I own an E-savage, and have a new E-maxx on order.

The E-Savage is better designed IMO, the TVP chassis is nice and its very very tough.

The new revision of the E-maxx has a beefier transmission however, and is pretty darn close to totally waterproof.

There do seem to be more aftermarket hop ups for the E-maxx, so that may affect your decision

Overall both trucks are great, if you do get the E-maxx be sure to get the model 3905, which has the metal geared transmission, dual steering servos, and is mostly waterproof.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
9five9

what's the top speed diffrence?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM
calvino

I would personaly go savage, they are tough... yeah the maxx is "water proof" but traxxas forgot about, the battery connectors (water gets in there, PFZZZZZZZZZ BOOM there goes your packs), and the motors, they aren't water proofed, so after a run, you need to oil the bushings... spray WD-40 inside to get rid of the moisture.... plus, it seems to still have the same arms, and towers, which I have heard aren't the strongest stuff out there[]
Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 PM
dacaur

you can dunk the connectors on a 7.2 or 8.4 volt pack in water and there will be no "PFZZZZZZZZZ BOOM" Of any kind. The power these packs generate isn't enough for fresh water to conduct to any real degree. dont forget that RC boats use the same packs and you dont hear about "PFZZZZZZZZZ BOOM"'s from them do you? Water dunkings general destroy 3 components on an RC car. The RX, Servo's, and ESC, all of which are protected in the new E-maxx. As for the motors, have you ever touched a motor after running? If so you should know that there is no way the motors are going to stay wet for any length of time. In any case, at most the motors will get splashed or dunked for a second or 2, which isn't going to damage them. the real damage comes from sitting underwater or staying wet for some length of time. I'm sure very few people will actualy try to run or store their e-maxx under water
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: dacaur

you can dunk the connectors on a 7.2 or 8.4 volt pack in water and there will be no "PFZZZZZZZZZ BOOM" Of any kind. The power these packs generate isn't enough for fresh water to conduct to any real degree. dont forget that RC boats use the same packs and you dont hear about "PFZZZZZZZZZ BOOM"'s from them do you? Water dunkings general destroy 3 components on an RC car. The RX, Servo's, and ESC, all of which are protected in the new E-maxx. As for the motors, have you ever touched a motor after running? If so you should know that there is no way the motors are going to stay wet for any length of time. In any case, at most the motors will get splashed or dunked for a second or 2, which isn't going to damage them. the real damage comes from sitting underwater or staying wet for some length of time. I'm sure very few people will actualy try to run or store their e-maxx under water
um, I beg do differ, not trying to start a war, but what happens if you are driving, and you hit a body of watter, the water isn't pure by ANY means, so, there is going to be SOMETHING in the water that will cause it have electrical conductivity, well, it may not go BOOM, but there will be some kindof shorting on there, as for the motors, you get water on the armatures.... chances are you will have corosion, rusting.... since they are copper, so that is my take on it, as well as, water will leak into the battery packs, they strictly say to keep them away from water, so, that is my take on it, cool, not trying to get a war started and have a perfectly fine thread shut down, i just wanted to make my point[8D]
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: calvino

um, I beg do differ, not trying to start a war, but what happens if you are driving, and you hit a body of watter, the water isn't pure by ANY means, so, there is going to be SOMETHING in the water that will cause it have electrical conductivity, well, it may not go BOOM, but there will be some kindof shorting on there, as for the motors, you get water on the armatures.... chances are you will have corosion, rusting.... since they are copper, so that is my take on it, as well as, water will leak into the battery packs, they strictly say to keep them away from water, so, that is my take on it, cool, not trying to get a war started and have a perfectly fine thread shut down, i just wanted to make my point[8D]
Spoken truely like someone who hasn't driven a car in the water. Calvino nothing happens man. I drive my car in the water all the time with Tamiya and Dean's plugs, it is well known you don't have to worry about that. Just please give informationt that you KNOW so people don't get mislead.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, those plugs dont freak out underwater
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
cheech4

E savage, that all i am going to say.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
dacaur

[quote]ORIGINAL: calvino

Sure there is stuff in the water, Any water has conductivity, and with enough voltage will conduct electricity. Even air will conduct electricity if the voltage is high enough (lightning) but nothing thats going to raise its conductivity enough for 8.4 volts to bridge a 1/2" gap in the connector. Unless we are talking ocean water, and the connector is completely submerged there is nothing to worry about in anything you will find around a normal neighborhood. Driving an RC car in ocean water isn't good for any part of it in any case, and is a VERY bad idea if you like your car. As for the motor, the copper commutator is the place I would worry LEAST about corrosion. First off, while the motor is running it will keep the commutator dry. Secondly, if any small amount of corrosion does form while the motor sits, the next time it is run it will wear right off. Go and take a look at the disk brakes of a 1:1 car that has been sitting for a couple days. They will probably have a bit of rust on them, perhaps quite a bit. Drive the car around the block and look again, shiny metal...

Anyway, I bet there will be a section in the manual telling you to oil the motor or something like that after driving in water....

As for my opinion for the thread, I think I would go with the e-maxx. RPM makes some super strong plastic arms and suspension towers if the stock stuff breaks, but my experience from my t-maxx tells me they are plenty strong. the only time I ever broke one was catching a tire on a curb driving through a parking lot at full speed. But i have never driven a savage.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
willashcroft

e-savage, as you can get almost all hop up parts in purple alloy and you can get some kick ass bodyshells and wheels.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
novakmaxx

Get a e-maxx. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
9five9

I guess I'd rather have plastic RPM parts than anything alloy. And you can get the same wheels and bodies for almost all 1/10th scale trucks. I may go with the E-maxx. I don't know though, the run time is so bad on those things even with high capacity nimh's. Does anyone know how the e-savage does for run time?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
9five9

Also, does anyone know the top speed of the E-savage?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: offroadbasher9

Also, does anyone know the top speed of the E-savage?

26 mph, and i would get the e savage rather than the maxx. better build better chassis, more durable, faster, handles better.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Limit

I've got the E-Savage after researching the same topic. E-Savage gets my vote.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
sloppyG

if you go emaxx, it's ready for a big brushless motor

the esavage will need a few upgrades to handle big power

there is a reason the savage is $100 cheaper.......
Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

if you go emaxx, it's ready for a big brushless motor

the esavage will need a few upgrades to handle big power

there is a reason the savage is $100 cheaper.......

funny, there was an article comparing the 2, and in that article it didn't state you had to do any mods to run a brushless system in the savvy.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
sloppyG

I'd read on here a few people breaking driveshafts on the esavage with brushless power....

I'm sure the esavage is a great truck, and if you're leaving both stock, it could be a better truck than the emaxx
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
The Hedgehog

The only upgrade needed for brushless on the Savage is the driveshaft. Not exactly a "few" upgrades, nor will it cost ya 100 bucks...
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I've seen outdrives break before too.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Ive had the old e-maxx, an e-savage, and a the new e-maxx.

The new e-maxx is better in every way over the e-savage. Better chassis, bigger truck, better tranny, better battery holder, easier to work on, better parts availability, 100% waterproof, better handling to the e-maxx imo and similar speeds.

The new e-maxx has fixed everything wrong with the old one, its longer, wider lower cg, stronger parts, etc.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

Ive had the old e-maxx, an e-savage, and a the new e-maxx.

The new e-maxx is better in every way over the e-savage. Better chassis, bigger truck, better tranny, better battery holder, easier to work on, better parts availability, 100% waterproof, better handling to the e-maxx imo and similar speeds.

The new e-maxx has fixed everything wrong with the old one, its longer, wider lower cg, stronger parts, etc.
does it handle better and is it more durable than the savvy??? thats what really counts, IMO.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
9five9

Man this is such a tough decision, and i really can't afford both. lol
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
jamstar47

e savageis my vote but am more into nitro[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.