Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

LOSI Dominates

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Always Dreamin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LOSI Dominates

Ok, well on the main topic, I still like Losi. Ae has been handing their rear ends to them lately though.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
justinep

I have an old team losi buggy (from the early 90's) and they have ALWAYS been a race class, competitive company... in the ranks of Associated and such. Their new RTR like the speedy T is for a new market of consumers looking for entry level vehicles or entry level brushless vehicles deisgned for easy, high speed newbies. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It definetly doesn't take anything away from their race heritage and their race proven vehicles that are designed for tracks and race drivers alike. This hobby is always evolving and companies no matter how new or old need to evolve with it. They never make/ made under-par vehicles and doubt they ever will. Because they are making vehicles for bashing and/or entry level consumers is a good thing in my opinion. More affordable cars by proven companies with a long history of success is great for newbies because, they have another option of buying a great entry level car with available parts and upgrades without going to the "darkside" of the hobby by purchasing from some of the copycat newer companys.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
NitroBobby

i just bought my first Losi vehicle, the mini-slider. it's also the first electric r/c that i've bought in 18 or so years (nitro for the last 10 years). i am very impressed with the quality of the car. i bought it to race at the LHS and it rocks. it was quick out of the box. it handled well and was a blast to drive. saying that they are becoming an RTR company like it's a bad thing is just ignorant. first, they'll never stop making kits. second, that is where the most money is coming from. that is what is keeping them in business. that is what provides the capital to r&d new products and race kits. the RTRs are what is making it possible to bring you race kits like the 8ight. you should be very happy that they make the RTRs because without them the company would go under and there would be no Losi. or the kits that you would have available would be ridiculously expensive. also, when the company's RTRs are as good as other company's kits, i don't see a problem. most people who are relatively new, and even some experienced r/c types, like to buy RTRs. especially when you can upgrade the heck out of them to make them better than the kit would have been in the first place. i agree that some of the "new" vehicles are not up to the previous standards, at least in terms of originality. but they are responding to the market. read these forums. there are so many threads about who's car is the fastest, with no regard to overall performance. as long as it's fast, it will sell. that is what the people are asking for and buying. that is what losi is providing with the speed-t. so what if it's basically a previous model with different parts. that's capitalism baby. maximum profit margin. minimum r&d cost.

oh, and that whole argument about the Spektrum v. DSM was ridiculous. the losi 2.4ghz DSM is spektrum technology. it's the no-frills model with less tuning options. like a base model accord with no radio or a/c. does that make it inferior? i guess that depends on your needs. for me, the losi one works great. no crystals, short antenna, no glitching or interference. perfect. sure it might be nice to have some more adjustments, but in reality i don't NEED that stuff. i actually like the less complicated, less expensive radio. the technology is fantastic, it just doesn't have all of the "bells and whistles" on the Spektrum labled radios. it does exactly what i need it to. and it does it very well.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
cheech4

^^^^^^ thank you I agree ^^^^^^^
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
The Hedgehog

A lot of you guys have no idea what you are talking about. Spektrum us distributed by Horizon. So is Losi. The radio is made by Spektrum and included with the kit. This is well known and they have admitted it.

Second, to the people that like Associated and say they dominate? The nitro market for Associated is pretty lackluster. I like their electrics but would buy Losi nitros.

Lastly, Wipeout said he would rathe rave a Spektrunm radio, that's fine and all, but you cannot argue that the radio is leaps beyond the 12 year old Traxxas TQ2 that most people use on this board.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
justinep

Ugh that TQ2 is just awful. I have two collecting dust, I really wished they made the VXL not RTR. My first Traxxas was a kit, no longer the case!

Losi is great and yes, its a Spektrum. Let's all move on to the next "who's best" thread that will take up 4-12 pages and accomplish nothing! It's really hard to say any of these companies that help mold this hobby into what it is a "bad" company... even if they did expand their line to a more user friendly line.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 AM
racefans26

A buddy of mine just bought a aftershock and man has it been a headache. I know Losi makes great products. But i myself was a little upset, i couldnt imagine what he was thinking. He Has been waiting for them to send him something so he can send it back for almost 3 weeks. Someting to do with them paying for shipping cost i think? But there was several things wrong with this truck!!! Bad glitching in the radio or reicever!! caused uncontrolable operation. he wanted it because it had pull start and electric!!! When he got it ready to fire up He pulled the pull start and it broke... the electric start lasted long enough to get almost half of the second tank during break in.. then broke. Not to mention.... no matter what you did it ran more gas out of the pipe then it could ever burn.. Was it just one in a million??? Just an unlucky truck??? Why did tech suport flat out lie when i myself called them for him???? Does this happen often??? Not trying to start a fire here. Just trying to find out if he just needs to bite the bullet, or when he finnaly gets to send them the truck will it caome back tottaly fixed.
Dont get me wrong I myself like Losi products. Just wondering if this happens alot befor i make my next R/C purchase
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
justinep

Even the greatest company in the world (if it even exists) would have a complaint box with similar storys. Unfortunatly, "lemons" exist and it sounds like your buddy got one and I hope that Losi picks up their pace and rectifies his situation. Im not Pro-Losi and haven't even owned one since the early 90's but, they are a race quality company that jumped into the rtr, and stock brushless world so, we'll see how it works for them.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
RCtruckRacer

Geez, you go racing for a day and these threads break out all over the place...

The useless bickering needs to stop, or this thread will have to be locked.

Racefans: My experience says that one's success with an R/C is directly proportional to one's experience. I've had a lemon, it happens. But there isn't an R/C out there that I can't make work. Some just need more money and/or time thrown at them than others. And that can be true with individual models. You can buy two of the exact same model and one will be near perfect while the other nothing but problems. 99% of all radio (FM or DSM not AM) problems I have witnessed or experienced were due to wiring or battery problems. For AM, its probably about 85%. Losi's customer service ranks among the best, work with them and they will work with you. Give someone an attitude and you take away the motivation to help. The bottom line is that you don't describe anything that I would consider out of the ordinary (possible battery problem and tuning issues, broken pull start), that can't be explained by simple inexperience. No offense, we were all there at one time.

Just like all models of R/C, manufacturers each have their good and bad points. I don't see one being superior to the other. It's great that everyone has their favorite, but there is also no reason to throw it in someone's face. Let us all try to get along please.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
cheech4

I am sorry for the fiasco that happened here in this thread, It was not my intension. My intension's were to state that a particular RC company still has that racing blood in there system. I will apologize for my self and for those that took this thread out of its subject, ( you know who you are ). on a different note, I am very happy to see that your on top of things and will keep things in line, thank you.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
sloppyG

http://teamassociated.com/racerhub/r...cereport02.htm

check the losi performance here too, no first, but second and third are pretty good

I'm not a big race fan, but I've heard of a couple of the AE guys, the losi guys sound like no-names to me

if a no name beats someone I've heard of, they must have some pretty good equipment/talent
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
chevroletman17

lol yeah there is my friend has one and just got the brushless for it that thing hauls tots it almost keeps up with im 12t mini-t its a great thrasher. we have put it like 10 feet in the air.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

A lot of you guys have no idea what you are talking about. Spektrum us distributed by Horizon. So is Losi. The radio is made by Spektrum and included with the kit. This is well known and they have admitted it.
Not trying to mine up old grudges, but we've been playing with 2.4 gig in airplanes for a while now...here's something to chew on:

The fellow on the left is Paul Beard. He innovated the 2.4 Ghtz Spread Spectrum technology to RC uses. His company is called Spektrum He owns patents on the use of his technology. My understanding is that Spektrum radios are made by (what we call) JR, as are the new JR 2.4Ghtz Spread Spectrum radios (of course.) The Losi radio I have is made in China. I'm 99.99999% certain that it is engineered by JR (another Horizon brand) and made under license by Chinese vendors, or maybe even a JR plant in China.

The Losi RF board is 2.4 gig. The rest of the electronics in the transmitter are probably identical to the lower-end FM or AM transmitters.

Just because JR and Spektrum market airplane radios at different price points (by offering different levels of programability) doesn't mean they are or are not all using the incredible Spektrum innovations.

For all intents and purposes, the JR, Spektrum, and Losi radios are all made by the same company...we just see different names attached to these different product lines. Kinda like Ford, Lincoln, Mercury. Same engineers, integrated/interchangeable parts, Sometimes produced in the same factories, sometimes not.

Also, I understand that JR is phasing-out all surface radios using the old AM or 75Mhz bands...switching to ALL 2.4Ghtz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47888.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	914123  
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Redvanmafia

Losi's is a great company