Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What happened to the fun?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
mdl76
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to the fun?

Is it just me or is everyone into gas or electric cars that cost $1500, go 200 mph and have no scale realism at all?

I got into rc when the hornet was released in 1985 and then I got out of it around 92.
I only got back into it because I found out Tamiya was re-releasing some of its classics.
I find so much more enjoyment from a rc car that looks a bit more real (love the new tamiya 3-speeds)
than something that resembles a alien space ship.
it seems like all people at my local track want to race
$2000+ setups and other than a tamiya mini class, no one cares about
having fun anymore. People act like their racing for $1000000.00!
Dont get me wrong... I know many people still have fun but
something seems to be missing...

Is anyone else with me on this?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
qaiz

Default RE: What happened to the fun?

Even tho I dont go that far back

I know what your going on about

" MY truck is better than yours " Its all of a sudden become whose got the ' Best '
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you on the plonkers that take it so seriously they look like they're gonna have a stroke, that's just not what it's about in my opinion. But I like spaceship looking cars, and I like speed. Recently I stopped racing, and concentrated more on messing around with big gassers, which is cool. But I'm not enjoying the hobby more than I was when I was racing. About the same, just differently. I had a frog in 86, and my neighbour across the street had a hornet. 9 years old running up and down the street til the batteries ran out, the good old days indeed.

Racing is a different kind of fun though, especially if you are quite good at it. Can be exhilerating. So having said all that, I'd say I was probably getting a good amount of fun out of the hobby, yet I am one of those people with thousands in their cars who just wants to go faster and better. Here are my babies... First pic an Xray NT1 with an RB MatrixR engine, 90kmh, but gets there in 3 seconds-ish, it's a track car, so it's not built for top speed, and it goes round corners like nothing you'd believe. 2nd pic is my 1/5th FG Monster truck, currently in Hummer form, but soon to become a Beetle. It has a 26cc gas engine, so it sounds amazing, goes like stink (40 mph is terrifying with a 28lb car), and I could easily gear it for 50. 3rd is the now famous HPI Baja 5b, another huge gasser. Great fun. I used to have 9 models, but sold most of em off to get the gassers. Never regretted it, and I still have the NT1 for racing. These cars between them have 4100E in them approximately altogether ($6220), so I'm paying for it, but I'm getting my money's worth.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40843.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	892373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15613.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	892374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17847.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	892375  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
mdl76

thanks for the replies ... Now I dont feel so alone
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
mdl76

this will be my next toy
Old 03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
rcpowerhorse

what's that???
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
justinep

I am an old school Tamiya guy myself and totally understand what your saying. Even though I have alot of cars, planes, and helis and accessories that amount to a down payment on a house but, this is over the 20 years Ive been in the hobby and evolved with it and all the technology. I never was into sanctioned racing but, still in my 30's I hit the parking lots, fields, and rocks with my buds. I am a high speed guy and drag racing guy mostly and THATS what makes it fun for me... no matter how much it costs. I'm into this hobby for the enjoyment I get out of it and completely agree with the WHATS BETTER argument and the other posts we see on the forums. I'm only here for the love of what "I" do with the hobby. I think if your here because you love the hobby and not getting into the who and whats better and/or I have this so I am better garbage then yuor are having fun... which is what its all about. Not how much it costs or what you spend... though my wife would say I've spent waaaaaaaaay too much this year already.... I don't listen to her! haha
Old 03-01-2008, 03:07 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: rcpowerhorse

what's that???
Tamiya Hilux Highlift.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
iamnot

i have fun
weather i'm playing trucks, cars, boats, planes or helis
if i'm with someone who's all "mine's better" or "race hard or go home"
then i usually go my own way
but to say they're not having fun is kinda arrogant
just because their kind of fun is not my kind of fun
does not make them wrong or
missing something
there's plenty of magic in rc's
but my magic does not have to be yours or anyone else's...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Grits

I get tickled when I hear or read about someone who thinks brand xyz is poo because they bought one and it broke. I agree some are better than others but these are all "models" and the only thing I've seen that didn't break was an anvil. The other thing I get tickled at is the number of folks that either can't, won't or don't work on these models. I agree that wrenching is not everybody's favorite thing to do, and thank goodness for that, but if one wants to play then they got to pay. My fun comes from figuring out how to improve on some aspect of the model and from fixing it when I break it. Whether it's from getting more run time from an engine or increasing power without losing run time, increasing handling, or weight reduction or whatever. I think that a lot of folks REALLY get off to bench racing and complaining on forums. The sad part is the number of peeps that don't enjoy the hobby and feel the need to bash it. As long as YOU enjoy what you are doing then it doesn't matter what anyone else says. To each his own and keep on with the pursuit of happiness.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that not enough people appreciate cheaper (and often higher quality) scale vehicles. However, those of us who do spend thousands ARE having fun. One of the reasons I like large scale RC so much is because I find the physics, handling, sounds, etc to be so much more realistic.

I feel people expect RCs to be too resilient, and when one comes along that demands respectful driving - they call it a bad car. I TRY to drive well, so when I do break something I'ts generally my fault. It annoys me to see people complain that a car sucks because it couldn't hold up to their abusive driving.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think ill every be a racer, cause it cost too much and would take too much time.
i do feel the same as you guys about scale looking rc's. i would love to have a toyota hilux some day. i have a tt01 with a suby rally body, which looks very scale.
i love running my rusty and mini lst, but the body and tires dont look scale. i thing the manufacters could make bodies for these offroad rc's that would look more like stuff you can really drive.(i know there are some options for bodies, but not enough imo)
im getting a wheely king very soon, and may build it into a semi-scale trail truck.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

the way I look at it, more speed = more fun
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Pecanpatch

I fly Electric planes and drive monster trucks.....
Got my own little track......
here I am racing my plane against a REVO......

Big fun OMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZ1v_PBtAQ
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it doesnt matter what anything does or how it performs. It's all in how much happiness whatever RC makes the owner. Im pretty simple and don't need a hopped up truck to have a good time, but some people enjoy hopping up rc's just as much, if not more than playing with them in the field. To each his own. Now when it comes to forum people always having to say what is best or not, that's just plain annoying to me
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
hkenvy91

im building a scale crawler with a chevy k5 blazer body! if i can find one
Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
cobra26

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I enjoy racing 1/8th nitro buggies and am probably going to get into racing a truggy this year as well. However, I too, like the scale scene and that dried up a bit which is a shame (at least in terms of the "original" Tamiya vehicles). I have fun with all of them and I'm also considering a crawler in the near future.

I'm kind of holding back for a bit on a new purchase because I think we are going to see a rash of new technology hit the hobby in 2008 in nitro, gas, and brushless. I loved the "old" days in the early 1980's with all the scale vehicles available and when the 1/8th nitro buggies were beginning to make the scene (remember Hong Nor cum OFNA, cum HoBao?). I just think that 2008 will bring us great new options in all areas of this hobby. I have scale electrics, trucks, and buggies and enjoy every one of them. It's a great time to be involved, and IMO, even better times are ahead.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 AM
NitroBobby

i'm having fun. whether i'm bashing around with my T-Maxx, flying my Blade CX2 or racing my mini-slider, i'm having a great time. if i wasn't having fun, i wouldn't be doing it. as far as racing goes, it all depends who you race with. i know there are a lot of people out there who act like it's a formula 1 race with millions of $$ on the line. luckily i don't race against those guys. the group at my LHS race for fun and a bit of bragging rights. we share setups, secrets, parts, tools, whatever. we help each other out because the more equal everyone is, the more competitive the races are and the more fun it is for everyone. what fun would it be if i was lapping everyone in a 5 minute heat race? yeah it's fun to win, but just racing and sharing the hobby with a good group of people is way more fun to me. i can have just as much fun finishing 4th in the b main as i can taking 1st in the a main.

oh, and i do miss my first ever "real" r/c. the tamiya Fox. what a sweet buggy.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
9five9

proline makes one if you're wondering
Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Gereke

Well if you think about it.. A lot of the fancy, full size concept cars are over priced and look like space ships...

I like all types of R/C Vehicles.. My Savage doesn't exactly look like any real vehicle but it's fun as 'ell to drive around. However, as soon as I get some extra money coming in I'm going to get an Axial AX 10 and use it to build a nice scale trail rig.

I'm with sheograth though, some faults in vehicles are not in the design, but the driving. But like any rule, there are exceptions, when mild things cause destruction....

Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: mdl76

Is it just me or is everyone into gas or electric cars that cost $1500, go 200 mph and have no scale realism at all?

I got into rc when the hornet was released in 1985 and then I got out of it around 92.
I only got back into it because I found out Tamiya was re-releasing some of its classics.
I find so much more enjoyment from a rc car that looks a bit more real (love the new tamiya 3-speeds)
than something that resembles a alien space ship.
it seems like all people at my local track want to race
$2000+ setups and other than a tamiya mini class, no one cares about
having fun anymore. People act like their racing for $1000000.00!
Dont get me wrong... I know many people still have fun but
something seems to be missing...

Is anyone else with me on this?

I've been one of those manac racers before ad yes the fun indeed seems to be missing...I enjoy my lovely basher more than my ex racecars...I'm not only with you, I feel you bro...