Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I need some expert advice on the best 1/8th scale gas buggy to get?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I need some expert advice on the best 1/8th scale gas buggy to get?

Old 05-01-2003, 01:51 AM
Yomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some expert advice on the best 1/8th scale gas buggy to get?

I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some sound advice regarding the top 1/8th scale buggy’s to purchase? I am new to the world of RC and would like to get my moneys worth out of a high end, all around, buggy. I am looking for something that will give me the flexibility to have fun in jumping and racing around my back yard and at the same time, offering me the high-end qualities I would need to race competitively on the local track.

Here are three buggy kits I have been considering:

1. Kyosho - (MP-7.5 Kanai II)
2. Mugen - (MBX-4XR-Worksed)
3. Ofna - (9.5 MBX Pro. Kit)

I would also appreciate some advice on what the best radio and engine combos there are available to meat my needs. I was told that the JR – (XS3 Radio) and the O.S. – (RZV01 Engine) would be a killer combo for one of these cars?

I am not apposed to buying a used car if it will give me more bang for the buck, and also if someone can suggest the best places to purchase RC products?

Thank you for any advice the forum can provide.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:50 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Ok, you basically have the 3 best buggies picked out (Mugen is coming out with the MBX-5 anytime though) and the Kanai 2 is jus the.. well.. best.. anyways... on to what i do know for sure..

sites:

www.towerhobbies.com

www.nitrohouse.com

www.stormerhobbies.com

www.acehobbies.com

www.acehardwarehobbies.com

now for the JR radio, XS3 is a killer radio No question! I own the XR3 (lower version) and it would be a kick butt combo with the OS .21. But there are also better engines out there like the RB Concepts Faster and more reliable with amount of fuel that can be ran through before rebuild.

I suggest you go used, jus be careful, Its alot more fun to get everything for 700$, than buy everything brand new and spend 1400$.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:55 PM
niffken

KII and put a c5 rody in it. I use c5 and a waller adapter in mine.

I use the futaba 3pj (pcm)
Old 06-05-2003, 06:53 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

RB concept faster than the OS RZVO1B????????? dont think so! All the top .21 are VERY close HP wise, I would be surprised if any of the top .21's are more than .01-.03 difference in HP. Besides the price of the OS makes it the easy choice. The biggest difference is more in the way they tune, OS has long been known as one of the most powerful, but better yet the EASIEST to tune. All the power iun the world is useless if the engine cant hold a tune. IE Novarossi.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:11 PM
cameldew

well ill let you know something guys the mugen youll need to buy the big bore shocks before you do any major jumping, the kania 2 not much to say there 9.5 is a joke. have you considered buying a crono rs01? i own one and i can do some major jumps like 13ft high jumps w/ the stock shocks my buddys mugens broke his stock shocks when it landed so did the 9.5s so if your a ser. racer then consider more options
Old 06-08-2003, 03:27 PM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

k2 and the mbx-5 theyre both nice. Mugen did a good job of redesigning the k2.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:34 PM
SuperQ

RB concept faster than the OS RZVO1B????????? dont think so! All the top .21 are VERY close HP wise, I would be surprised if any of the top .21's are more than .01-.03 difference in HP. Besides the price of the OS makes it the easy choice. The biggest difference is more in the way they tune, OS has long been known as one of the most powerful, but better yet the EASIEST to tune. All the power iun the world is useless if the engine cant hold a tune. IE Novarossi.
I can tell that you have never owned an RB engine! I have owned, both OS and RB engines, and let me tell you, the RB ws7 is much much easiter to tune, and has much more power than the OS engines. Once you tune the ws7, you basically never have to touch the needles again. If you are looking for power and ease in tuning an engine, go with the ws7, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:40 PM
DSA.308

The Mugen MBX-XR Works has been supplied with the big bore shocks for the last year that it was built. The MBX-RR is the model which needed the big bore shock upgrades.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:58 PM
DSA.308

Unless you live where its the same temp every single day, you tune your engine. I dont mind tuning mine, I know how. Whats the RB rated at HP wise if its so much better?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:19 PM
niffken

Originally posted by TODD MARSH
LOL your entitled to your own opinion. The only car that will have an OS in it is my maxx (.15).

I think my RB is easy to tune and it holds it forever (until altitude change or weather changes)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:14 PM
DSA.308

I have been looking but still havent found any HP #'S for the RB's, anyone know what they are?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 PM
niffken

no clue what the specs are???

I am not saying OS is bad in anyway. I think OS is a great engine. However I like my RB way more!! Esp. with the waller adapter.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:05 PM
cameldew

rb dont believe in hp rating there is no way you can actually test the engines correctly. each has there own way so no one can sig. say exactllyhow much hp they really have without doing them all on the same test stand
Old 06-09-2003, 02:30 AM
DSA.308

It is true unless they all use the same method of testing they arent accurate. Like XTM saying their new buggy has 2.6HP, my OS is rated at 2.4 and I am guessing is a little faster than the XTM......Some might say lots faster..
Old 06-09-2003, 07:35 PM
cameldew

tell me about it i have a crono 4 clb that spanks the rb on low end and mid... lol but they get ahead on the top end not by much though
Old 06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Jason Riley
My Feedback: (2)

Default Ving Mang ???

Speaking of 1/8th scale nitro buggies, has anyone heard of a brand called Vang Ming (or something like that). I believe they have a "Saska" buggy. The guy at my LHS was talking about it today, but being a newbie to cars I'd never heard of them before. Any comments would be welcome.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:32 PM
cameldew

no never heard of it. sounds like garbage to me