Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dog proofing an RC car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
SmurfTacular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog proofing an RC car?

Hey, I originally bought an RC car for the soul purpose using it as a dog toy. Because when my dogs first saw them at a park, they couldn't get enough of it. So I went out and bought one. But mine wasn't as fast as the one my dogs where chasing. So they got a hold of it pretty quick, and when they did, they put a few good holes in the shell... I kinda was expecting that. Well anyway, is there any type of hard shell that a dog can't sink there teeth into? Becasue when I went to my local hobby shop, all the shells where really flimsey, and would break if my dogs got a hold of it. I tried using it without a shell, but the wires where exposed and they unplugged the battery, so I kinda need a shell. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
ModifiedMaxx

Default RE: Dog proofing an RC car?

You could use a rollcage.

I wonder if they mistake the rc for a little steak smothered in barbeque sauce J/K
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
SmurfTacular

jeez, $100 for a roll cage? yikes... What about just a regular shell, but really hard..?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
TommyGun24

Smurf, you arent bieng sensible.

I did the exact same thing as you. I used to encourage the dog to chase my cheap toy cars. I encouraged him too much and lost control of him. Now he destroyes rc cars right away, whether I "let" him or not.

So whos faults that ?

Now you have 2 choices. If you want to play with the dog, do so, but your rc isnt going to last long. Second, dog proof it by not running the car while your dog is loose. Please remember that if you running a nitro your dog is going to end up getting hurt, either burned, or injured by bieng run into. Use the toy cars, or a cheap, light electric like a traxxas buggy for the dog to play with if thats what you want.

Heres a picture of him [8D] and the second one is my other dog, for good measure

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
SmurfTacular

I do have a cheap electro, Im just new to the hobby and I was wondering if there was any type of hard shell out there that would be use to me... My dogs are a bit more understandable when it comes to ripping things to shreds. The worst they would do to it is bite the body, or the tire (wich they quickly learned not to do)... And since the last shell didn't survive more than 2 days, I was wondering if they make hard ones. I looked at the roll cages, and it doesn't seem like it would make much protection. Also $100 is a bit to much for a cage....
Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Access

Not much you can do really, just make it fast enough so the dogs can't catch it in the first place. No body is going to be tough enough to survive that.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Bosley2

smear bitter stuff over the body of your rc car. Whenever your dog tries to lick it, it will run away because of the foul taste
Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 AM
rc rock

my dog chases my rc's but is completely terryfied of touching them.....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:50 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Bosley2

smear bitter stuff over the body of your rc car. Whenever your dog tries to lick it, it will run away because of the foul taste
There is a reason why bodies are made like they are. Lexan is a very light material and take quite a beating. I don't think that a hard body would help, because although they will resist being pierced, they will crack and break if they are squeezed too hard(such as a dog biting down on it) or if you get into a serious accident with it. I think that if you found a material strong enough, it would probably be rather heavy and you would have more potential for rolling it.

I believe that bosley may be right. Perhaps they could be persuaded not to bite it if you give the body a coating of something very sour like unsweetened lemon or lime juice.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Longhair

I am going to have to side with TommyGun24 on this one.

I wouldn't want to be at the park with my RC (Tamiya TXT-1 w/ Novak Super Duty XR esc, Futaba RS603FS receiver & 2x MaxAmp LiPo batteries), have some dog destroy it only to have the dog's owner say "he always does that" and not pay for it because they don't understand that the stock tires alone cost more than what they have their dog destroy.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM
RCCanuck

I have to agree too much chance for the dog to be injured......We have a 14lb Shih Tzu and she will chase the micro's around the house but doesn't touch them.....I would not let her chase anything bigger for fear she will be hurt....
Tommygun those 2 dogs look like they would destroy anything just for fun LOL....the tan one looks like a pitbull....in that case if he locks his jaw onto an RC car thats it all over for the RC LOL
Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
SmurfTacular

Is it possible to put two cases onto one car? or put carbon fiber on the shell? What about construction an aluminum cage on the car?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Jeff Oliver

It's called a teddy bear.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 PM
DriftingDragon

make a lexan body
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Chris_RC

I have a Losi Mini-Baja and my dog chases it around all the time. But once I put my XXX-NT Nitro she will jump up onto my moms arms and weep she is so scared.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
SmurfTacular

lol, mines electro, so it doesn't make intimidating noises...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
MT

Buy one of the hardest bones you can find at your pet store, and give it to your dog.
Yeah, your dog will still be able to chew up the hardest type of bone you give it. So how are you going to make a RC car body out of something harder/stonger than, well BONE? Find a different game for you and your dog to play, don't risk injury to your dog to save your toys.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
SmurfTacular

A dog cant take a 3lb plastic high speed object and chew on it for 2 hours...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 PM
qaiz

Mine just sits there watching it [&:]

Hes never once gone after them, probably because they're too fast.?

Hes a good dog tho Always has this confused look on his face when I drive
Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: SmurfTacular

A dog cant take a 3lb plastic high speed object and chew on it for 2 hours...
huh?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 2 dogs ones a jack russel/Fox terrier/Pit mix and the other is a sheperd mix. my jack russel mix will chase my nitros all day long but they are to fast for him to catch and wears him out really quickly. my sheperd mix doesnt bother with them at all and just sits with me and watchs. if your going to have your dogs chase your r/c one make sure the car is faster than the dog and 2 dont let them chase then on pavement or roads b/c it will tear up there pads really quickly. personally if either one of my dogs tried to bite a nitro i wouldnt let them near them b/c i dont want them to get hurt let alone destroy a r/c.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
zeen420
Banned

How about don't let them chase it at all from the start.. Very known that if you let them do it once, they will do it again without Your command.. Just basic dog training.... Like don't drop a duce on the floor..
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
The_Shark

take a tire off the car, there you go! a r/c dog toy

i chased my dog with my nitro next, i let him get close then when he goes to bite, i smash the throttle and he runs away barking, then he looks at me then starts biting on my shoes. stupid wheaten terrior.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont know if anyone mentioned this, but iv bought a cheapo walmart rc and made the body fit on my rustler. the body is a hard plastic, not good for jumping but it should hold up to dog teeth(depends on how hard you dog bites down) i got the rc for $11 on clearance. $11 for a painted body aint bad.

maybe there is something you could spray on your body that the dog wont like the taste of. something clear, perfume or a cleaner? dont want to make your dog sick, just make him not want to bite it.

the cheapo walmart rc also had the lee's horn, wire it up on your rc on a 3rd channel, when he gets to close give him a loud du du duta du ta du du du du(the lee's horn sound)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54120.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	936200  
Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
HpiDrifter420

ORIGINAL: zeen420

How about don't let them chase it at all from the start.. Very known that if you let them do it once, they will do it again without Your command.. Just basic dog training.... Like don't drop a duce on the floor..
not true im a dog trainer and my dogs listen to what i say not what they want to do. dogs are pack animals and listen to the alpha of the pack. if i want my dogs to chase the car i let them if i dont want them to i tell them not to. same thing when i teach them to bite on comand. my dogs are security trained but they just dont go around biting people. if your a strong leader and teach your dogs they will listen. i dont get my dogs treats to listen or make them do things. dogs want leadership and a job. dogs are breed for jobs and my dogs jobs are listening to me. if you balance your dogs and give them what there breed requires you will no problem teaching a dog. if you want something to put on the car to make them not like it some use a product called bitter apple but not all dogs dislike it some love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.