Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Weed and Grass REMOVAL

Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Wratherax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weed and Grass REMOVAL

I need suggestions as to the best way to completely remove the weeds and grass from our local r/c track. I need something that's going to completely remove all weeds and grass. Also, any good preventative suggestions are welcome after I've solved the first problem.

Help plz! lol
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Weed and Grass REMOVAL

If there aren't that many weeds just pull them out by hand. Racing on the track every week should keep anything from growing.

Without removing the entire plants the roots and stuff will stay and weeds will grow back eventually. You could Roundup everything and then mix a bunch of salt in with the track's dirt, but then nothing will grow in that soil for the next decade.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
DriftingDragon

jato 3.3 with mulcher tires lol no

put down a plastic cover to chock it out then just mulch the dead grass and weeds
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Wratherax

I deffinately don't want anything to grow back ever. It's a huge track and there are tons of weeds. I can do it by hand but it'll take forever and a day. That seems like the only option right now though. I'm not sure how well round up will work to get rid of every weed and its roots so that nothing grows back. What kind of salt would I use to prevent regrowth? And what would that cost me?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: Wratherax

I deffinately don't want anything to grow back ever. It's a huge track and there are tons of weeds. I can do it by hand but it'll take forever and a day. That seems like the only option right now though. I'm not sure how well round up will work to get rid of every weed and its roots so that nothing grows back. What kind of salt would I use to prevent regrowth? And what would that cost me?
Round up is what i use on my small track it works very well but you need Roundup® Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus to further prevent future growth. [link=http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productCategorySubSelf.jspjsessionid=323B5803284EF A6C0735928EA521BC61?navAction=jump&branPage=roundup&itemId=cat10001&id=cat50004] Heres a link.[/link]

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
DriftingDragon

if you have the money you could put a layer of plastic over the track and the layer of chicken wire then more dirt ( and be sure to buy just genaric dirt not soil less likely to grow stuff)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Cheap way is to get a garden sprayer add warm water and a gallon of bleach.. Rough on the sinuses but say goodbye to any grass or weeds!!! [sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Jeff Oliver

Yeah, I agree. I would basically just go with any type of grass or weed killer. At our local track they just give it a quick spray everymonth or so. Doesn't take to long, and usually gets the job done.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: Hardin Valley Magic

Cheap way is to get a garden sprayer add warm water and a gallon of bleach.. Rough on the sinuses but say goodbye to any grass or weeds!!! [sm=punching.gif]
Ya Ive heard the same can be done with Vinegar.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Enzyme80

Basically any non selective weed and grass killer combo works. You should see my back yard now I sprayed it last year and all that is left is dirt and a few leafs. [link=http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Round_Up_Grass_Weed_Killer_Ready_To_Use_1_2_Gallon]this should work[/link]
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Wratherax

Awesome Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Nik.

salt.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

If there aren't that many weeds just pull them out by hand. Racing on the track every week should keep anything from growing.

Without removing the entire plants the roots and stuff will stay and weeds will grow back eventually. You could Roundup everything and then mix a bunch of salt in with the track's dirt, but then nothing will grow in that soil for the next decade.
Roundup works grate, Used it for my buddies dirt bike track.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Wratherax

We are trying Roundup Super Concentrate. We sprayed about half of the track so far. I'm just waiting to see what happens now. If all of the vegetation isn't dead in a week, I'll just have to go get my money back. I don't have much faith in these weed killers.. I'm hoping that I'm totally wrong. I really don't want to have to remove all of the weeds from the track by hand.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

just get a big bag of salt that is usually used for people to not slip on ice and sprinkle it all over your yard. Then melt it with water. Do it a couple of times its a cheap solution.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nik.

salt.
AND weed killer
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Wratherax

How long does it take for RoundUp to kill the weeds? It's been just over 24 hours now and so far there's no sign of death. If it doesn't work, I'm getting a refund and we're probably going to have to do it by hand and follow it up with a good salt water bath to keep anything from growing back.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
boatcapt

It takes a couple of days, you should see the weeds start to turn brown in 24 to 48 hours.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

How long does it take for RoundUp to kill the weeds? It's been just over 24 hours now and so far there's no sign of death. If it doesn't work, I'm getting a refund and we're probably going to have to do it by hand and follow it up with a good salt water bath to keep anything from growing back.
Not to be rude but thats where cheap bleach wins out. Give it 24 hours and all is brown... However if it has rained nothing works but salt....lol. Just a thought..
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Hardin Valley Magic

Not to be rude but thats where cheap bleach wins out. Give it 24 hours and all is brown... However if it has rained nothing works but salt....lol. Just a thought..
DANG i should try that one out, I have tried vinegar, NOTHING[:'(], just makes the yard smell like salad dressing. definately should try it out since there are a TON of pesky weeds on my track that don't like to go ANYWERE but where they are[>:]
Old 04-28-2008, 05:10 AM
kraddon

Hey if you get a big spray pack you can sacrafice, fill it up with diesel and spray away doesent take much and kills everything ,save you a fortune on roundup too!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Wratherax

Ok.. we sprayed on Saturday. It's now Tuesday afternoon and there's no sign of death at all. RoundUp = massive fail... I'm taking it back for a refund later. I still need more ideas though.. cheap ones too.. like under 40 dollars for like a 4000 sq ft area. It's a pretty big track. I need something that's going to kill it ALL quickly and very effectively and keep anything from growing for at least the rest of the year.

So far salt is number one on the list of things to try.. but still its a lot of area to cover.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Access

A goat perhaps? I know around here they do the job pretty well, we had some bad fires and now there is a "preventive firefighting team" which involves a bunch of goats that are 'let loose' in areas where the brush has become so dried and overgrown it is a fire danger. They do a really good job: here is an article.

http://www.10news.com/news/9524584/detail.html

I know you can buy them through groups like this:
http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...4&item=1352788
$75. for one or $150. for two, might be more cost-effective than using toxic chemicals in the long run.
A considerable discount than the $200. price on Tower, even with tower discounts.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Wratherax

Wow..
Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

put down a tarp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.